Futzin'

220 SSi, Subwoofer placement options

158 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Ksupaul said:

Is “some curve” to it all preventing? It seems to me a foam gasket of some kind could help keep things snug between the woofer and the surface and between the grill and the surface. Maybe not picturing it well in my mind when I think that. Just seems like there aren’t many flat spots on boats to begin with but subs all over the place. 

Great thread btw you all!!

A slight amount and I mean a slight amount can be accounted for with a foam or rubber gasket. But, the woofer basket has to have a complete air tight seal to the deck. Even a small air leak will be noticeable in the woofer's performance. Id rather deal with a convex over concave surface. 

5 hours ago, brick said:

Are you going to be in the Atlanta area anytime?

brick

Will be traveling thru on I-75 on Monday....

very generous offer, might take you up on that ... will pm you.  would be Monday; will be driving from Tampa area to Ky.   long drive...

2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

very generous offer, might take you up on that ... will pm you.  would be Monday; will be driving from Tampa area to Ky.   long drive...

I sent you a PM

brick

Special thanks to brick for having me by to see and hear his 220.  Beautifully maintained and detailed boat and trailer!

His tube location in the port console puts out strong bass and sounds really good.  At this point, that location (and/or the starboard console) is my leading contender for location.  I just don't want to give up the interior storage space in the cockpit for a traditional sub.  I still want to poke around a little in the bow, though.

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

Special thanks to brick for having me by to see and hear his 220.  Beautifully maintained and detailed boat and trailer!

His tube location in the port console puts out strong bass and sounds really good.  At this point, that location (and/or the starboard console) is my leading contender for location.  I just don't want to give up the interior storage space in the cockpit for a traditional sub.  I still want to poke around a little in the bow, though.

Anytime! Good to meet you and Mrs. Futzin.

If the weather had been warmer, we could have gone for a boat ride...

brick

Thanks again, brick.  Appreciate the hospitality.  I'm looking forward to some thump this season.  Maybe a couple more cockpit speakers, too.:D  Between the bimini under the tower, and the roof of my dock above, I think tower speakers are a no-go.

If anyone puts a sub in their 220, I'll be keen to hear that one too!

Hey 220 guys, I wonder how wide the starboard console opening is if you remove the door and trim . . . 

34 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Hey 220 guys, I wonder how wide the starboard console opening is if you remove the door and trim . . . 

Don't think it's big enough for a head.....  :scratchchin:

Well, this IS a stereo thread . . . :scratchchin:    ya lost me . . . 

need 10.7" or so to accommodate a 10" tube, should I decide to go that route

53 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Well, this IS a stereo thread . . . :scratchchin:    ya lost me . . . 

need 10.7" or so to accommodate a 10" tube, should I decide to go that route

I will check tomorrow, but I think it will be too narrow.

brick

I believe it's 9.5 with trim ring.  Without it may add an inch, so you're probably right.

I'll just say that my 220's bass and overall sound is just better when I'm not out on the water but have a cover over me or is in a garage.  I assume you listened to brick's while in a garage?  When I'm under the canopy of my boat lift, before I back the boat out and am getting the music situated, is when it sounds the best in the summer at least.  

I'll likely add a second unpowered sub and monoblock this summer assuming I can get my second battery addition done in time.  I'm just generally dissatisfied with the bass from my 8" powered Bazooka.  

I'm not sure exactly what will fit but the starboard walk through step down has a nice little unused hollow space below it.  The space behind the panel that the batter switch is attached to.  

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I'll just say that my 220's bass and overall sound is just better when I'm not out on the water but have a cover over me or is in a garage.  I assume you listened to brick's while in a garage?  When I'm under the canopy of my boat lift, before I back the boat out and am getting the music situated, is when it sounds the best in the summer at least.  

Dangit. We should have gone for a boat ride!

brick

I'll likely add a second unpowered sub and monoblock this summer assuming I can get my second battery addition done in time.  I'm just generally dissatisfied with the bass from my 8" powered Bazooka.  

Agreed. The self-powered Bazooka is a disappointment.

brick

I'm not sure exactly what will fit but the starboard walk through step down has a nice little unused hollow space below it.  The space behind the panel that the batter switch is attached to.  

You would be limited to about a 6 inch sub. And the side wall beside the walk-thru does not have enough depth for a sub.

How about a sub in the Igloo Marine 25 cooler???

brick

Absolutely not, way too valuable!  

Btw, I still have retina burn from just glancing at your cooler . . . mine wasn't that bright white when I first got it!

I love the suggestions for alternate spots.  And yeah, I'm considering two passive 8s as one option.

I did consider something in the engine compartment with a hole and false grill cover in that spot by steps...

21 hours ago, Futzin' said:

My boat measures 11.5 inches for the starboard console door cutout. It’s not the neatest cut, so wonder if it varies boat-to-boat?

brick

Ok guys, wanna vote on what you'd do if you were in my boat?

Option 1: a single 10" passive tube in the starboard console, or an 8" in the port (could add another 8" later)

Option 2: two 8" passive tubes: one in each console

Option 3: a free air sub in the port cockpit seat compartment, 8" or 10"

Option 4: two 8" passive tubes: one in engine compartment and one in a bow locker

Option 5: a powered cabinet sub, such as Wet Sounds' Stealth AS-8, in the starboard console

Option 6: your own thought of location/product

My current in-boat speakers are: BOW, two 6.5 Wet Sounds Revo6s. COCKPIT, two Revo6s in stock spots and two Revo8s facing forward in rear bench.  (Not opposed to adding a pair of 6.5s in the cockpit and/or a pair of Revo6s or 8s in the bow in the footwell.  None of which is needed, of course.) 

y4mdQdK1fZezdGZkupFOkX8LeDbWSYpDNzuI052zy4mqU0Ei2k12jrU7Ba8NkQ0cLH2Wf0gClb-8k8bBy4mXfJhzRkNpwKUHBdywI2mN8wRaxPTwwMARDIGry4m5EZcdP3ojQMdBi9Carfvh5Ml2KWybJ_EMc79yy4mlBsS1GVs71eEPh3lSIMbB_A-PNipuSzSbXBt3

I'll keep my ideas on pros/cons on each of these to myself for now; hopefully this thread can help 220 owners down the road.               

:scratchchin:   Wish I had a 220 so I could be more helpful. OK, just wish I had a 220. Didn't realize you had a bow filler. Did you ever consider putting a tube down there?

2 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

:scratchchin:   Wish I had a 220 so I could be more helpful. OK, just wish I had a 220. Didn't realize you had a bow filler. Did you ever consider putting a tube down there?

A good idea, but don't want to lose the walk space.  People walking on my vinyl?! :o  Plus, we use that space often for quick fender storage or guest cooler/bags when the filler is in (which is most of the time).

I hear ya. Wasn't sure how you used it. My old boat had fillers, stayed in 100% off the time but we used the space to stash a plastic tub with snacks, etc.