More pics:

under helm kick panel:  snug

y4mlw5mQCfb70BOOdYPntZKfLNKXXrkABMn_SIce

under passenger kick panel: gappy

y4mHavH7IyWEODoPodBx5DaG-Vbv-cfMswLuksij

y4mqq3AoI6kErqB4ro_cy78aXaushLvYegcI4nJJ

Looks just like my 220...

brick

brick, I'd love to hear your thoughts at this stage.

*Was_Wylie_Tunes, what ya think of that radius?  Too much?  What about that locker in general?

I guess my leanings are (in no order):

1. tube in the port locker (will have to cut)

2. sub in an enclosure in the port locker

3. sub in the port cockpit seat, forward facing (8", FA)*

4. sub in the starboard bow (8", FA)

5. sub in the port cockpit seat, main face (10" FA)

6. both 3 & 4

what I do, is take a straight edge the width of a woofer basket, about 11" for a 10" woofer, and lay it up there and see. 1/8" is a lot really. We cant pull the woofer or deck flat together without breaking something, so we have to seal that gap. Any air leaks and the woofer sounds like poo. 

2 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

what I do, is take a straight edge the width of a woofer basket, about 11" for a 10" woofer, and lay it up there and see. 1/8" is a lot really. We cant pull the woofer or deck flat together without breaking something, so we have to seal that gap. Any air leaks and the woofer sounds like poo. 

Did that; see page 4.

3 minutes ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

In the page 4 pic with the tablet, about 75% of a 8" woofer would not be in direct contact with the boat. No good. 

Copy, thanks

5 hours ago, brick said:

I am not for cutting sub-sized holes. Too hard to change your mind if it doesn’t  work.

brick

I agree with that thinking.  One factor I am considering, however, is that the hole for a Wet Sounds 8" sub is the same for their 8" coax.

It's looking most likely that I'll put something in the port console, however.  Your console opening must be wider than mine, though.  I don't see how I can get an 8" tube in without cutting/widening.  Mine's only 8 1/8" at its widest.

2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I agree with that thinking.  One factor I am considering, however, is that the hole for a Wet Sounds 8" sub is the same for their 8" coax.

It's looking most likely that I'll put something in the port console, however.  Your console opening must be wider than mine, though.  I don't see how I can get an 8" tube in without cutting/widening.  Mine's only 8 1/8" at its widest.

My cutout is 8.75 inches.  Maybe remove the divider to the front seat and slide in from the front?

brick

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, brick said:

My cutout is 8.75 inches.  Maybe remove the divider to the front seat and slide in from the front?

brick

I will have to explore that option, yes.  I just LOVE to do stuff like that!

y4m_wAZFPqFIn4yoSZN4knNQM6Q2qjDskz62R15R

Any idea how large that opening will be?

On 2/15/2018 at 7:15 AM, brick said:

however, is that the hole for a Wet Sounds 8" sub is the same for their 8" coax.

True, but we need to look at the woofers OD, which is nearly 9" (8.9") when considering ho flush its going to seat. Seating flush at the ID is not enough. 

What about a custom rectangle thats 12" x 8" x ??? that would fit a 10 woofer? Even 7 dewep would give you 2+ inches of air space off the back of the woofer. 12" fits woofer and the ??? would be the variable that fits the other way through the locker door and gives us as much internal volume as we can. 

As long as we dont seriously compromise the internal volume, bigger woofer is always better. an 8 = an S-10, 10" a half ton and 12' = 3/4 ton, if you get the drift. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, Futzin' said:

...meaning, if I didn't like the 8" FA sub, I could in theory replace it with a coax, bow or cockpit.  Would have to find a spot for the other, though :P.

4 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

What about a custom rectangle thats 12" x 8" x ??? that would fit a 10 woofer? Even 7 dewep would give you 2+ inches of air space off the back of the woofer. 12" fits woofer and the ??? would be the variable that fits the other way through the locker door and gives us as much internal volume as we can.

A 'truck box' style may fit well, if the sub opening was on the vertical side ('back') instead of the sloped ('front')....due to interior vagaries, aka cockpit footrest.  The angle could cause obstruction to the magnet though I guess. 

y4mZcCpoX2Te2IhXDwXZ4k6CRdULRfwOXBe9t1Biy4muAUUkZzUGdWO2a3tpAgqQn2eUeQzpp5c3qkvL

8 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

A 'truck box' style may fit well, if the sub opening was on the vertical side ('back') instead of the sloped ('front')....due to interior vagaries, aka cockpit footrest.  The angle could cause obstruction to the magnet though I guess.

Thats were a custom comes into play. Cut the woofer into angled face or perpendicular face. As long as the inside back wall is not touching the back of the woofer on an angled wall or smothering the back of the woofer on a flat wall, theres no issue. As long as the box is not grossly undersized. That would be a supper peaky one note wonder woofer. 

An advantage for a tube is that stored items would not interfere with sound.  Also, simple and much cheaper.  And I know it sounds good on this boat.

But,

Wonder if a Kicker L7S 10" would fit . . . :o . . . much deeper, 6 1/4"

The JL 10 specs call for a bit smaller box . . . still 6" deep

Wet Sounds, 4.75" deep

Kicker KM10, 5"

15 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Also, simple and much cheaper.

Ill give you simpler, but cheaper, im not so sure of. 

The 8" 250W self-powered is $320 https://www.southernaudioservices.com/MBTA8250D-Marine-8-inch-250-watt-Class-D-Amplified-Tube-P497.aspx

You can do an 250W 8" in a custom enclosure for about $300. Woofer, amp and materials for enclosure. Or for about $360, you could step up to a 500W 10". And thats go with Kicker. Step down to something in same arena as bazooka and you could easily come in way cheaper. 

If you cant do a direct radiating woofer an 8" is as large as you can do, then its hard to beat that bazooka setup for its simplicity and price point. But if you can effectively do a 10" woofer in a custom enclosure, then you gain the leverage of the larger woofer and get more output and deeper bass.  

Storing gear in a locker with a woofer, will effect them just the same, whether its a bazooka tube or a custom enclosure. Pile gear on top of or in front of the woofer, will effect them both. Remember, the only difference is the tube is a round enclosure, nothing more. Its still a woofer and acts exactly like any other woofer in any other type/shape of enclosure. 

With an IB woofer, you have to be careful of what get stored behind the woofer. nothing rigid or sharp. try not to pile too many jackets in there. No towels or covers stuffed against it. Other then that, the locker is still usable with no effects to the woofer. 

Thanks, I am considering building an enclosure for a 10", but gear would tend to be stored in front of it.

If I go with a tube, it would likely be the passive 10", plenty of juice on hand.