Futzin'

220 SSi, Subwoofer placement options

8 hours ago, Futzin' said:

This is my plan.  I've ordered the Bazooka 10" passive model.

brick, did you try firing the sub into the wall by the door?  Wondering if it would sound different that way with the door open.  Also, was your bass level remote cable long enough without needing an extension?

Bazooka recommends facing the sub towards the outside of the hull. But you do want the sub front face several inches from the outside wall. I would snug  the back end of the sub to the walk-thru wall, and it will be about right on the front speaker side. 

The fader for the mono sub amp came with a long cable.  No extension was needed. But it’s a different brand than yours...

i had a 10 inch sub first, replaced with the 8 inch to clear the door.

brick

21 minutes ago, brick said:

The fader for the mono sub amp came with a long cable.  No extension was needed. But it’s a different brand than yours...

Apparently the WS model is only 12" leads.  I'll have to buy extensions.

1 hour ago, brick said:

Bazooka recommends facing the sub towards the outside of the hull. But you do want the sub front face several inches from the outside wall. I would snug  the back end of the sub to the walk-thru wall, and it will be about right on the front speaker side. 

i had a 10 inch sub first, replaced with the 8 inch to clear the door.

brick

I dont have a 220 by my 216 is similar.  

DSC00017

dont feel bad, none of them have long leads. short leads are best, so this allows the installer to use the length needed and bot have extra length to bundle. long runs invite noise and reduce line voltage. 

Why do some 'bass knobs' have a single lead (usually a phone type jack), and some have two 2-channel leads?

Most 2 chnl knobs are a simple pre-amp POT (potentiometer) that reduces the amps input signal prior to reaching amp. They are universal and can work on any knob, The Wet Sounds WW-L is an example. Those that use a 6 wire RJ style phone cable are typically proprietary knobs that only work on the amp they come with or sold as an option by the amp's manufacturer. They work by attenuating the signal as its being processed by the amp. The RJ phone cable method is best as it does not extend the actual signal path as the pre-amp POT does. No loss of signal voltage and no chance of unwanted noise with the RJ phone data cable.  

As usual, I'm no wiser.  :(

So with the WW-L, do I need to connect the knob to both the head unit and the WS amp with each of the two 2-channel RCAs?

A knob like the WW-L will have an input from the head unit, then out put the amp thats driving the woofer. It simply goes in the middle of the RCA signal path.