White Shadow

Water line mark

The boat has been sitting in the lake for the past 7 days and now has that lovely brown water line mark.

Whats the best way to clean it off?

I got rid of 98% of it with soap and water but there is a faint stain line left that is really annoying me.

I used some Meths and that took it to 98.5% and then a micro pad took it to 99%.

Is the only thing left to cut and polish?

-WS

Abrasive scrubbing every 7 days will get rid of the gelcoat in just a few seasons. It will only get worse as the gelcoat surface gets more porous with more scrubbing.

Some of it is a mineral discoloration, some is micro bio organisms stuck in the pores of gelcoat. Similarly to mold, you treat it chemically. Wash the hull and get rid of the slime and any solid deposits with brush, then use muriatic acid diluted 50/50 with water. It is a mild acid so protect yourself, the trailer, and the ground if you care. Spray clean hull from waterline down, wait a few minutes, and rinse it well.

Double check on dilution ratio, hope this helps ...

Slimy grimy in a pump spray jug. Spray it on and hose it off.

If its out of the water, use the product called On Off.  Its really wipe on and wipe off.  Magic.

I used it to clean my water line a few months back.

Hot tropical water ??  Too bad if it has foods for bacteria & staining minerals.  NO abrasives as Richard said.  White hull area ?  Wear rubber gloves & a white cloth with straight bleach squeezed out of it. Apply in BRIGHT SUNLIGHT.  I hold it in place for about 15 seconds. do a spot at a time. ! right after the other. I keep looking back & washing oof when white enough. MAKE SURE YOU WASH ALL of the bleach off completely. Also any trailer parts under the bleach areas.  Done it for years.

Thanks for the advice guys. Might try Cyclops recommendation because I have the ingredients right here.

Cheers

WS

Now that our boat spends summers in the water, I buy Star Brite hull cleaner by the gallon and fill my own pump sprayer.  Spray on, wait a few minutes, rinse off.  The really tough brown stains can require a wipe or two, but that's it.

I use toilet bowel cleaner from the dollar store. Brush it on, hose it off. Works Great and cheap!

bleach, CLR, vinegar, toilet bowl cleaner, etc.  Just remember anything beyond regular card wash soap will remove wax from the finish so you will have to re wax.  with that said wax probably isn't lasting but a month or two with regular use in the water.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, gr8lakes said:

If its out of the water, use the product called On Off.  Its really wipe on and wipe off.  Magic.

I used it to clean my water line a few months back.

Marykate on and off. Used it for the first time ever this weekend on a badly brown stained white hull. They say use a natural brush, but it's an acid and I did not like the idea of laying under the drips. Used a 4" foam roller, and long handle, and application took 5 minutes. A quart would do a 40' hull easy. Hosed off and that boat looks as new. Effortless, but best done with boat on blocking, as this stuff would be death to a galvanized trailer.   W

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Marykate on and off. Used it for the first time ever this weekend on a badly brown stained white hull. They say use a natural brush, but it's an acid and I did not like the idea of laying under the drips. Used a 4" foam roller, and long handle, and application took 5 minutes. A quart would do a 40' hull easy. Hosed off and that boat looks as new. Effortless, but best done with boat on blocking, as this stuff would be death to a galvanized trailer.   W

Its also death to the carpeting on a trailer but it works great.

"I use toilet bowel cleaner from the dollar store. Brush it on, hose it off. Works Great and cheap!"

Agreed, I mix a little dawn it, makes it cling better.