Sign in to follow this  
TexasPilot71

Pitot Speedometer

I've successfully replaced all the helm gauges with a single VesselView 4 (hooray!)  When I disconnected the speedometer, I also disconnected the rubber "pitot tubing".  I read there's a couple ways this system works.  I read that it's simply piping water up to the speedometer and measuring the pressure, and I've read that some create a suction back at the transom and the speedometer measures that way.  Does anybody know how it works in the Chaparrals?  I presumed it pumped water to the speedometer, so I tied the hose in a knot and inserted a screw into the end to act as a plug.  Does anybody recommend any other way to discontinue the use of this while preserving the option to reconnect somewhere down the road if I or the next owner decides to use it?

If it’s a Mercruiser you can also disconnect the tubing on the front side of the outdrive.  What you did is probably fine, most of them get plugged from time to time and need to be blown out anyway.

29 minutes ago, Rick480 said:

If it’s a Mercruiser you can also disconnect the tubing on the front side of the outdrive.  What you did is probably fine, most of them get plugged from time to time and need to be blown out anyway.

Thanks, I might do that.  Don't want to have water spraying in the helm if I can help it.