bonpaul

tire for towing my truck

Time for some new tires for my towing rig and I’m looking for opinions on what reasonably priced tires anybody recommends. I don't go off-roading. I need quiet, comfortable tires that have good tread life. I heard good things about Kumho Road Venture AT51. Does anyone have personal experience with these kumho tires? How about the Firestone Destination and BF Goodrich All-Terrain. Thanks for any help.

I had a set of Toyos on my last truck and was very pleased with the wear.  They were M/Ts so they were loud on the road so I doubt I'd get them again since I rarely see mud!  My next tires will probably be the Nitto Ridge Grappler.  It's an aggressive looking A/T.

15 hours ago, bonpaul said:

Time for some new tires for my towing rig and I’m looking for opinions on what reasonably priced tires anybody recommends. I don't go off-roading. I need quiet, comfortable tires that have good tread life. I heard good things about Kumho Road Venture AT51. Does anyone have personal experience with these kumho tires? How about the Firestone Destination and BF Goodrich All-Terrain. Thanks for any help.

I have the Firestone Destinations on my 2002 3/4 ton Avalanche.  They are great tires (M/S) and quieter than the previous Firestones that were on it.  Only have about 10k miles on them so they still look like new.

What load range do you need? A good quiet long lasting truck tire is Cooper Discoverer HT3. It's mainly an over the road tire. I currently have BFG AT KO's on my truck now and do like them. 

4 hours ago, IdahoPearl said:

I have the Firestone Destinations on my 2002 3/4 ton Avalanche.  They are great tires (M/S) and quieter than the previous Firestones that were on it.  Only have about 10k miles on them so they still look like new.

By the way these are load range E with a 10 ply rating. 

11 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

I had a set of Toyos on my last truck and was very pleased with the wear.  They were M/Ts so they were loud on the road so I doubt I'd get them again since I rarely see mud!  My next tires will probably be the Nitto Ridge Grappler.  It's an aggressive looking A/T.

Those nittos are louder than the Toyo's

46 minutes ago, Auggie said:

Those nittos are louder than the Toyo's

eww, thumbs down!  I got so sick of the road noise from the Toyos.  My truck came stock with Goodyear street tires and while they are lame looking, they sure are quiet.

My last set was Nitto Terra Grapplers and they wore out extremely fast. Only got about 15k out of them. Not impressed.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I bought a set of  Firestone Destinations. So far, I like the way they perform on the road. Road noise is very minimal as well.

1 hour ago, bonpaul said:

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I bought a set of  Firestone Destinations. So far, I like the way they perform on the road. Road noise is very minimal as well.

Firestone Destinations, I'm on my 2nd set, good wear.  Denny.

I have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (because I need the snowflake to be legal here in CANADA) and I think they are good tires. They look like Mud tires, they are a little loud but I put 60 K miles ( 100 K Km) on them (towing the boat back and forth from Canada East to Florida Keys) and they were worn at 40 / 45% which means I had 55-60 % left on them. Love the look, tough, grip is good in ice and snow. I wish I could put Toyo but no Mud models with the snowflakes :(