watson524

Help me rig the new boat

If you will anchor in 40' of water, 5-7X the depth from your deck to the bottom is recommended for the length of your anchor rode.  Practically however in my experience that length is really only needed in heavy conditions. 

Also, depending upon the marina, they may or may not have a special water hose for back flushing your holding tank.  That means the only hose to use to fill your water tank may be the same one that is used to back flush the holding tank.  BE careful there!  I also recommend back flushing your holding tank each time you pump out to get it "clean".  I usually do it 3X when I pump out.  If the pump out water isn't clear, it isn't clean.  Regarding "stuff" in the tank....be sure to always use a treatment for holding tanks.  We use the Thetford dry powder pouch.  It is inexpensive and it smells pretty good.  You can get it at Wally World.  I will usually only pump out every 3 weeks or so depending on the use.  In the hot times, I will add another pouch to keep the smells down.  We also have a rule on board...if it is #2 you go to the land head, emergencies excepted of course. Finally, if it didn't go in your mouth it doesn't go in the head.

I carry more stuff than I should as far as tools and spare parts because we are typically 40+ miles up lake and tucked into a slot canyon somewhere. No VHF or Cell signals available.  

File a......Float Plan.  Just tell Local police where you are going & how long.  They then know where to go if you are late.   You will call them when you are dockside & safe.

REMEMBER TO CALL THEM.   Leave them your cell or house number.  If you forget & they want to check on you.   Our police GLADLY do that service. A rescue boat can get within range & check us out from a distance.  VHF on monitor channel to hear their call. Coffee & doughnuts keep them happy.  Saved a few oldies.

Our fire / rescue boat is "  Last Chance " .

1 minute ago, cyclops2 said:

File a......Float Plan.  Just tell Local police where you are going & how long.  They then know where to go if you are late.   You will call them when you are dockside & safe.

Sorry, I know you're serious but this is making my laugh.... we don't have local police around here. We have state police with a barracks 30 minutes away at best and they certainly aren't interested when I'm going out on my boat lol! If I am going out alone I DO however make sure someone knows where I am and when I expect to be in.

Me also. On most everyday when fishing. Wife will tell rescue.  My husband is right under those circling buzzards & seagulls.   Almost did that 1 day

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I carry more stuff than I should as far as tools and spare parts because we are typically 40+ miles up lake and tucked into a slot canyon somewhere. No VHF or Cell signals available.  

Smart smart smart

This is a great thread. I just bought a 2007 220 ssi and have referenced this post more than any. As mentioned above, the type of trips you take will have more influence over what you should carry. Don't "over-do" it. Odds are that you wont need to rebuild an alternator or fuel pump on the water... with nobody else in sight... in a gale wind... in the middle of the night... with sub zero temps... in 300 ft depth... with people on board that havent eaten in days.

Love my Chappy! Keep up the great posts!