SST

Tailgate thefts-Never heard of it before

As I was reading through the news items, a news article about tailgates came up. I missed read the title and though there was a mechanical issue with it. So when I clicked on it it was about tailgate thefts. Never heard of it before. The video below shows a theft in progress and I was stunned at how easy it is to pull a tailgate off the truck. So happy I have a garage.

If this is a wide spread problem, why are they so popular to steal? If they are not failing, or a huge amount of accidents, what's causing the demand? Selling the metal?

This is a common problem here in Texas because of the large number of trucks. One way to help stop yours from being stolen is to lock the tail gate. 

1958 Mercury Parklane sedans.  Some smarties  BOUGHT UP ALL the front spare part & contracted most big junk yards bumpers.  Cost to replace one ?   Ha ha.   Love no laws on any business.

My brother has an F150 with the tailgate ladder and they told him abt this when he bought it.   Told him always lock the tailgate.   Of course if they really want it, they always find a way.

I am surprised that he could get that tailgate off. That looks like a newer Chevy pickup.  For the past several years most pickups lock the tailgate when you lock the cab.  Unless you don't have power locks.  But my 2009 non-power lock Ford F-150 had a key lock on the tailgate.  Another item that gets stolen are the spare tires.  You used to be able to drop them down with a long screw driver.  Snip the cable and you got a new rim and tire.  Dodges used to use the same aluminum wheel as the rest so it was a costly loss.  I used to like that as you could rotate the spare in among the others.  I think my ford has an ugly steel wheel.  But still, its a new tire.  Now they have locking covers over the mechanism.  

I hate thieves.:angry:

I have power door locks but I've never checked to see if the tailgate is locked. Top of the list today.

EDIT Addition:  Just checked my truck. Although I have power door locks, I don't have a power tailgate lock. But I do have the key lock. It will be locked at all times.

Work truck tailgates take a beating.  I've bought quite a few over the years. There is a market for them.  I usually paid 400 deer or so for a brand new factory take off from a local salvage yard.  That's about half the price of buying a new one and having it painted.  The salvage yard was buying them in quantity from shops that were installing tommy gates.  Knock on wood, I haven't had to buy any for the newer Chevy's with the back up camera in the handle yet.  

A cheap deterrent for tailgate theft is to put a worm drive hose clamp around the hinge that lifts off.  Most of those guys aren't carrying tools around, and they don't want to have to mess with it any longer out in the open than they have too.   

Tailgate theft is a big problem. has been for many, many years. One of the main causes of the theft is some folks are pretty dumb when backing up and tailgate is down, hitting some pretty solid object with the tailgate. Ever see a pickup with a big dent on the top lip of the tailgate? Quite common, so there is a pretty active "market" for the hot tailgates.

Since they are usually so easy to swipe (most don't even lock the tailgate if there is a provision to do so), the thieves get paid to go out and find a specific (color and style) one and swipe it for a "customer" who will just plunk it on and no body work / paint required..

I bought a tailgate lock on Amazon it locks on the hinge. You can't tell it's on till you flip it open no way you can remove without the lock key.  Really they want the gates with the camera in it . Big $$

Pop n Lock.  

For up to 2014 F-150's:  https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Lock-PL8250-Tailgate-tailgate/dp/B000C19DNM

Easy to install, locks when you lock the truck via key fob or just key or the lock/unlock switch in the cab.  Works like a charm on my 2014 F-150 (just as it did on my 2009, 2007, 2002 as well!).

I believe the newer (2016+) F-150's have this, finally, as an option on the higher trim models.  Always made me wonder why it took so long.  I have been using Pop N Lock for years on my trucks.  Easiest and best under 100 deer upgrade ever, and just plain convenient.  That and a Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, best money you can spend on a truck!

Dee Zee for up to 2015 F-150's:  https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ43200-Tailgate-Assist/dp/B001PWA0IO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522301702&sr=1-1&keywords=DZ43200