Clark74

2006 256 Ssi

31 posts in this topic

Looking at purchasing a 2006 256 ssi looking for advice on the Volvo 5.7 GXI.  I have heard this motor could be a little small for this boat. Any information would be helpful. 

hello,

that motor is on the small side, it has 320 hp.  The standard motor on the boat has 300 hp, so it could have been worse.  I have the 255ssi(which is a few hundred pounds heavier than the 256) with Volvo 8.1 (375 hp), which is good for me.

Depends what you are doing with the boat, if you are going to have 8 or 9 adults on it, getting on plane can be an issue.   

A lot of guys have the 256 with 320 hp and they are happy with it.  The 496 is better but if the boat is clean and you like it, it may be worth it.

As long as its all in good shape you should be fine, I have the big block and its no speed demon anyway but it a great cruising boat.  You will see most of us have added trim tabs and it makes a big difference in the ride.

23 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

A lot of guys have the 256 with 320 hp and they are happy with it.  The 496 is better but if the boat is clean and you like it, it may be worth it.

2 hours ago, jdsdls05 said:

As long as its all in good shape you should be fine, I have the big block and its no speed demon anyway but it a great cruising boat.  You will see most of us have added trim tabs and it makes a big difference in the ride.

I agree, The guys who have had the 320 hp motors say they work just fine. I waited 8 years to long to add trim tabs, they are a Must for this boat. If it doesn't have them get them, makes the boat act so much better.

I have a 2005 256SSI with the 6.2 320 H.P. Engine and I am perfectly happy with it.  Top end is just under 50 MPH.  It has trim tabs but I rarely use them (only for leveling side to side). No problems getting up on plane.

10 hours ago, Rick480 said:

I have a 2005 256SSI with the 6.2 320 H.P. Engine and I am perfectly happy with it.  Top end is just under 50 MPH.  It has trim tabs but I rarely use them (only for leveling side to side). No problems getting up on plane.

I bought a 256 new, and was ready to trade it until I added trim tabs. I too do not need to deploy them all that often, however just adding them to that hull changes the ride characteristics significantly to the point where I do know why Chap ever offered that ride without them. Be glad you have the tabs.  W

I had a 265ssi with the 320hp 5.7GXI, which 3-400lbs heavier.  Boat was fine and with F5s thought it got up on plane fine.  Its not going to win any speed races.  Think I could hit 45ish with it.  Boat is in good shape and at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate again.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:17 AM, Toddler said:

I agree, The guys who have had the 320 hp motors say they work just fine. I waited 8 years to long to add trim tabs, they are a Must for this boat. If it doesn't have them get them, makes the boat act so much better.

Thanks for all the great input. I am going to look at it today.  It’s a 2006 256ssi 300 hours in excellent shape. Firm at 33,000 any thought on the price?

All I can say is go on BoatTrader.com  and look around, Trailer, Service Records, Bottom painted, Salt or Fresh water all have a lot to do with price.  Please have a survey done as well.

1 hour ago, Clark74 said:

Thanks for all the great input. I am going to look at it today.  It’s a 2006 256ssi 300 hours in excellent shape. Firm at 33,000 any thought on the price?

just to what jd said about checking boat trader.  Also see what nada says.  My 02 265SSI was both bought and sold with less than 300 hours in 2014 and 2016 for less than 25k.  My initial without looking is mid 30s seems a tad high, think id be in the 25-30 zone.  people that wont dicker at all sort of turn me off unless they have a rock bottom price, which this isn't.  But then again, how many of those are around, overall shape, fresh or salt?  All of those things matter.  Certain boat models are hard to come by.  33k doesn't seem to far out there if it has a trailer and all.

3 years ago, i bought my 06 255 ssi for $30,500, 8.1 volvo penta duo prop.  Had a survey done, found some issues, owner fixed them.

boat was 1 owner, no salt water, no bottom paint, approx 125 hours.  Get a survey or at least have a mechanic check it out, make sure he checks the engine for codes and what hours the computer says is on the boat.  he needs to take a sea trial, thats where they found the issue with my boat

I would offer 30 or less, depending on factors.  CASH is king.  

2 hours ago, rreale said:

3 years ago, i bought my 06 255 ssi for $30,500, 8.1 volvo penta duo prop.  Had a survey done, found some issues, owner fixed them.

boat was 1 owner, no salt water, no bottom paint, approx 125 hours.  Get a survey or at least have a mechanic check it out, make sure he checks the engine for codes and what hours the computer says is on the boat.  he needs to take a sea trial, thats where they found the issue with my boat

I would offer 30 or less, depending on factors.  CASH is king.  

I just did a nation wide search they were selling from 22-36.  Lends me to believe selling price is high 20s low 30s.  33 isn't a terrible starting point, but think id be more around 30.  Offering price is hard to because I like to come to a figure before I so survey so I don't waste my money, but its also hard to come to a figure get a survey and then ask for more off or to fix it. 

Again getting something the cheapest isn't always the biggest concern.  By no means do I want to over pay, and people would be crazy to pay over book.  But like I said earlier, condition, availability all have a play. 

Again getting something the cheapest isn't always the biggest concern.  By no means do I want to over pay, and people would be crazy to pay over book.  But like I said earlier, condition, availability all have a play. 

I know I over payed for my boat.  But it was immaculate for it's age and low hours.  Also had a lot of canvas work for over nights that I only used once.  But it had a full cover for storage that wrapped all the way down the the bottom of the bow.  

If your comfortable with the price of the boat, then go for it.  

I`ve got the 5.7 GXI, 320hp with the DPS drive. My boat is similar size and weight. I`ll think you`ll find it adequate for your needs. Mid 40`s in speed. What kind of drive does the boat have, SX or DPS?

3 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

I know I over payed for my boat.  But it was immaculate for it's age and low hours.  Also had a lot of canvas work for over nights that I only used once.  But it had a full cover for storage that wrapped all the way down the the bottom of the bow.  

If your comfortable with the price of the boat, then go for it.  

my only concern with over paying on toys is if you have to resell and in particular have a loan.  Paying over book is illogical IMO regardless of how nice. over paying market value may not be a bad idea. 

On 2/8/2018 at 9:37 AM, soldier4402 said:

I just did a nation wide search they were selling from 22-36.  Lends me to believe selling price is high 20s low 30s.  33 isn't a terrible starting point, but think id be more around 30.  Offering price is hard to because I like to come to a figure before I so survey so I don't waste my money, but its also hard to come to a figure get a survey and then ask for more off or to fix it. 

In my opinion book value is nearly always irrelevant. Condition is so important, NADA even states boats in exceptional condition may be worth significantly more. And a boat in poor condition could be worth nearly nothing. That's where I've found the best deals - someone listed a like new 10 year old boat for book value.

58 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

I`ve got the 5.7 GXI, 320hp with the DPS drive. My boat is similar size and weight. I`ll think you`ll find it adequate for your needs. Mid 40`s in speed. What kind of drive does the boat have, SX or DPS?

DPS drive

1 hour ago, takeahiketour said:

In my opinion book value is nearly always irrelevant. Condition is so important, NADA even states boats in exceptional condition may be worth significantly more. And a boat in poor condition could be worth nearly nothing. That's where I've found the best deals - someone listed a like new 10 year old boat for book value.

Wouldn't say irrelevant as it serves as a good starting point. As a boat ages specially when you get in past 10 years I think you are right there can be more disparity and the book typically likes to shoot low. 

But here is the thing with book value, almost all buyers on the market will not pay over book for a boat,  they just wont, may pay up to book value but not over.  So for one why pay over book when you shouldn't or dont have to.  Secondly you go to sell your chances are you will sell at or below book.  I understand that boating is about spending money, and its not investment but I guess I don't like to needlessly throw money away either. And lastly and this is why I really say book isn't irrelevant.  If you use a loan to purchase which in my unscientific opinion is, its probably at least half of us out there.  I get lucky as my bank will do 100% of book up to certain age, but I have seen banks only do 75-90% of book value.  So if you price above book, you potentially void a lot of buyers. 

Again buy the best boat your wallet can afford, not saying book is everything, but to not account for it is short sighted.

1 hour ago, Clark74 said:

DPS drive

That's good, You may have to play around with the props to match your use. I have F7`s on mine and find it adequate for our use.

Again buy the best boat your wallet can afford, not saying book is everything, but to not account for it is short sighted.

Even if you find a boat that your bank won't finance 100%, it may be worth the extra out of pocket expense to get that boat that.  

Good luck.

4 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

Wouldn't say irrelevant as it serves as a good starting point. As a boat ages specially when you get in past 10 years I think you are right there can be more disparity and the book typically likes to shoot low. 

But here is the thing with book value, almost all buyers on the market will not pay over book for a boat,  they just wont, may pay up to book value but not over.  So for one why pay over book when you shouldn't or dont have to.  Secondly you go to sell your chances are you will sell at or below book.  I understand that boating is about spending money, and its not investment but I guess I don't like to needlessly throw money away either. And lastly and this is why I really say book isn't irrelevant.  If you use a loan to purchase which in my unscientific opinion is, its probably at least half of us out there.  I get lucky as my bank will do 100% of book up to certain age, but I have seen banks only do 75-90% of book value.  So if you price above book, you potentially void a lot of buyers. 

I disagree with not paying over book. I bought a 2005 204 SSI in great shape that booked at 14 for 17 and sold it for 20. Best gauge I've found to for prices is searching sold listings on Ebay, if they're auctions that will be the absolute lowest price you'll get that boat for.