Clark74

2006 256 Ssi

31 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, Clark74 said:

Looking at purchasing a 2006 256 ssi looking for advice on the Volvo 5.7 GXI.  I have heard this motor could be a little small for this boat. Any information would be helpful. 

How did it look?  

I have run 256 / 267  SSi & SSx w/ a 320 Volvo many times and actually prefer over the Merc 8.1.

IMO Volvo's in general, are a touch more responsive than the mercs.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Jjlai724 said:

Even if you find a boat that your bank won't finance 100%, it may be worth the extra out of pocket expense to get that boat that.  

Good luck.

right to each his own, just have to be careful.  Remember most insurance will only give you hull value for book as well.  So buy that new boat at 120% of book, chip in 20% yourself.  Towing that thing home you lose it, automatically lose 20% day one.  Not trying to get into what ifs here,  in general its just a bad idea to pay over book, although it may have worked out and will probably work out for some.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, takeahiketour said:

I disagree with not paying over book. I bought a 2005 204 SSI in great shape that booked at 14 for 17 and sold it for 20. Best gauge I've found to for prices is searching sold listings on Ebay, if they're auctions that will be the absolute lowest price you'll get that boat for.

without options added and with a  trailer I can get that boat to book for over 15k right now, my guess with options I can probably get it close to 20k in book value.  So it does matter when using the book to ensure you are adding all the options and doing it correctly as well. Unless you didn't get a trailer with that boat, not sure you bought or sold it for over book.   Like I said earlier the book is a guide but does tend to follow the market pretty well specially 10 year old boats or less.