cyn5351

After Market Steering Wheel to fit 2004 204

12 posts in this topic

Sorry this is posted twice. I think I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Hopefully, I can get better repsonse here.

So I've searched the internet trying to find the specs for the Steering wheel replacement that fits my 2004 204. I've looked at Cecil, West, etc and they all have the official Chaparral version listed at well over 300.  Please do not point me to the parts guide or to these sellers. Ive been there and cannot find the information I need on what kind of hub or attachment I need in order to purchase an after market part that fits.

Can anyone tell me what kind of after market steering wheel will fit this boat?

Have you pulled the original wheel to see what type of mount you need?  Can't imagine it's a hard-to-find mount . . . 

Call Cecil & ask for service. They will tell you how to remove the wheel.  Scratches taking it off are no problem.

Its probably a standard spline type marine wheel.  If you pop the center cap out, and remove the nut, you'll probably be able to count the splines, or see a keyway.  

Do a search on ebay for "spline boat steering wheel" you'll see lots of options for well under a hundred bucks new.

5 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Just to clarify, you consider $300 to be too much for a replacement.  I'll be curious how much an aftermarket costs in comparison.  

As in everything else, usually you will get what you pay for. A good quality after market wheel will be expensive, for the fact that it is not specifically a replacement for your Chap.  Denny.

Got this one off of ebay for my 2003 210SS. If you notice there are six Allen screws in the middle that will screw into the existing part of the boat wheel. If you pop the center cap off of the factory wheel you will see them. No need to pull the shaft or anything off of it. Just one note, the two bottom spindles are just plastic. Kind of cheesy but they won't rust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-350mm-Aluminum-Black-Vinyl-Steering-Wheel-Marine-Boat-3-4-Adapter-Boss-Kit/253249417956?hash=item3af6d772e4:g:YhAAAOSw2GlXErf0:sc:USPSPriority!63026!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Installed in the boat.

y4mDOYA5FM2pHbNif3aNSb_84ShKM-8XLzIKnQne

There are several other choices on ebay, just search "marine steering wheels."

I purchased one from Amazon.  Plenty of choices and some come with the adapter kit for the spline and the 6 allen screw plate.