Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
takeahiketour

Volvo Oil in Mercruiser

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody! Got a new boat with a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI and Alpha outdrive. My last boat had the Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI with SX outdrive and I have all the Volvo Penta brand engine oil and gear lube bought for that boat. Looking for opinions on if it's okay to use the VP oil and gear lube in the Merc. Thanks!

I had a dealer put Volvo gear lube in my Merc Bravo III a few years ago.  I saw it right away.  After discussing with my original selling dealership, it was recommended I replace it with Merc oil just to avoid any potential warranty issues.  Merc requires the use of its High Performance Gear Lube.  As far as engine oil goes, I think that is OK as long as the oil is the proper API certification and the correct grade per the manual

As said above the drives use different gear lube. The engine oil is also different since Merc uses 25/40 and Volvo uses 10/40.  I wouldn't use the Volvo stuff in my Mercs.

For starters use the correct spec lube in your boat regardless of brand.  Second I wouldn't dink with gear lube its cheap enough as it is.  I have used quicksilver hi pro in a Volvo drive for multiple years.  Engine oil goes back to specs, if its the same spec then by all means.  While in warranty I probably use exactly as recommended to avoid issues.  But after that I wouldn't touch a MERC or Volvo oil with a ten foot pole.  Much better oil for a lot less out there. 

After warranty.  I have always gone to decent auto motor oils.   We do drain almost  every year or by so many operating hours.

Drives could be different types of clutch facings / cones materials. Even the SEALS can be specific types.    Do the recommended types.