turbotank

2001 300 need to remove fuel tank

Depending on the boat, it often involves cutting out a section of the sole to access the tank. 

brick

Your talking about a Sig 300. If I am not mistaken, one or both engines must be pulled. Along with removing some of the midship cabins floor since about 1/2 of it is under it. I would call Chaparral too, they have been known to give owners the tank for free. But you pay for the labor, that was a few years ago and worth trying. 

You can connect a 6 gal tank to each engine, just to move the bout around if needed.

I have a Sig 300.  The fuel tank is pretty large and resides under the floor of the mid cabin berth, all the way back to the bulkhead in front of the motors.  I have had my mid cabin berth apart to replace stringer.  The tank is screwed into the stringer in a few places along the stinger so all the decking would have to come up.  Cutting it up could work and remove in pieces, but that is dangerous with all the fumes and I do not recommend it without serious consideration on how to mitigate flammable atmosphere.  It can be done, but not cheap.  Maybe easier to pull motors.  I did work on a project in California where a company came in had to clean out a large storage tank that had light oils in it.  They drained the tank, then used I think acetone water solution to clean the tank (filled it and circulated the solution for a day).  Then straight water followed by warm nitrogen purge to dry it out.  It was about 15 years ago so I don't recall all the details.    

Have ALL hoses and clamps That can be seen. Been checked ?  Can a inspection hole be cut out over the tank fittings plate ?  You would need Chaparral to give a accurate location to use a LARGE hole saw . Drill the pilot with a 1/4" drill bit. Then remove the drill bit in the hole saw.  Replace it with a piece of rod.  It prevents the guide hole from getting bigger. It also prevents cutting or winding up wires under the deck as you break thru. NOT A DIY  job to learn on. A...B IG floor fan is mandatory to dilute any fumes. As you cut thru & expose the tank space. Checking out is then possible.

Warning !!  The electric drill HAS BIG SPARKS to ignite & cause a explosion & fire...............This job IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.  There is NO  NO  learning curve or mistakes to be made.......... Can be fatal  !!

A marina may or may not cut the inspection hole.

I would guess at 17 years old. Tank,  hoses & wiring are on last safe time.

EDIT: posted entire process in a new thread..

I have a 2001 300 signature and I did the tank myself last year. You don't need to pull the engines or the radar arch. You gain almost nothing by pulling the engines.

When I have some time I will do a full write up. It is very time consuming, very labor intensive and involves a lot of demo, woodwork, and fiberglass work.

For now, make sure the tank is empty.