Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thomas mock

Additional storage capacity Chaparral 215 ssi

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everybody.

i am not sure if i have posted this question before at the correct place (Newbies), that the reason why i post my question again. But first i want to introduce my self, i am Thomas and come from Germany and i am playing arround with pleasure crafts since approx. 5 years. In the past 5 years i had a Caravelle 206 Cuddy Cabin.

Now i  bought a 215SSI from 2006 with an 4.3l Mercruiser and ask  myself if it is possible to create additional storage capacities inside of the Bow on the right and left side under the cushins.

I have seen this storage area`s on many other Cuddy Boats before, but factory made.

Has anybody done this modification before? i mean cut a hole in the inner hull and install something like a plastic box with a lid.

Or has anybody concerns to do this?

Thanks in advance for you answers, concerns or tips.

Best regards

Thomas

11 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

I can almost guarantee, no one has considered that particular mod. You should do the same.

I had considered this modification on our 215, however I thought the bunks in the cabin were for floatation and didn’t pursue it further. We kept a plastic container for storage under the port side stern seat.  We also had the fold down seat with some storage available underneath.  

I have tons of space on each side of the engine space. Several 5 gallon pails for toilet & seat Lines lifejackets, insulated coolers Anchors & 300' lines. Other things in smaller latching closed boxes.

Do you want to use it as a cruiser for a several day trip?

Plan great fuel stop & food places. Check your long range weather for a dock near enough to a pre rented room IF needed.

You need to post the overall needs.

I'm betting there isn't much space under there due to the drop down inside the cabin. Also if you do open it up, keep in mind, the area underneath is not finished. Lots of unfinished wood and fiberglass.

Thanks to everybody for the answers. Looks like i Need to live with the Space i have. Bigger boat is Not an Option. And no, i dont Plan longer Trips, But i like to be prepared for everything :-). I was hopping  somebody has done this Modifikation before