Jeff Schaefer

Engine failure

25 posts in this topic

Purchased a new 2018 33 Signature with twin Volvo Penta and last 3 times out I have lost power on port engine. When I took it to the dealer they could not find the problem or duplicate the engine failure. They tightened everything and then we took the boat out to run it. No issues after 4 hours on the boat. This morning we went out again and after 5 minutes idling we lost power to the port engine. Very concerned I’m losing one of ,y engines and the tech or computer can’t find the problem. I must admit the Volvo Penta engines were a concern for me and now it’s a reality.  Has anyone experienced losing one of the engines on a new boat? The whole reason I toook the plunge and bought a new boat was to avoid the constant maintenance to older boat. Never thought i’d pay over $200k for a new boat and I can’t use it.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loose electrical connection. Obviously not on the computer system.  Change marinas / mechanics. Better yet Call Volvo. You are not the only one. Very likely. Will they admit to the problem ?  Tell the dealer fix it or a new boat.  You did not pay money for a unsafe boat.  3 of the same break downs in a car in N J is a lemon.  full money back.  Your state may be none or different.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say, I have a Sig 290 with twin Volvos. To me, they make a very good engine. 

Both Merc and Volvo, use the same block for what its worth. In my past boats, Volvos have been easier to maintain, starts right up, and preforms better. But, thats me.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lifelong power boater here. Volvo or Merc are not that different wrt performance. What IS different is the basic block you choose. Volvo uses the Chevy V6 block also used in the S10 pickups. Thousands of these 1990's trucks are still running fine all over. That block is a proven performer. Once you move off into the ANY of the V8 blocks thing change drastically. There have been a dozen different liter sizes made in an effort to improve performance, loose weight and meet cafe standards. None of them were designed strictly with boating in mind. When Evinrude redesigned the Vtech series some years back it was a ground up 4 stroke design. This resulted in the outboard revolution we are all seeing now.  Volvo and Mercury continue to cut costs by buying lots of existing GM and ford designs; each one have their advantages and built in flaws as well. IMHO if you are going to ask mega bucks for a new boat a ground up redesign is not too much to ask for, better yet task Toyota or  Yamaha to build one. The Yamaha jet boats revolutionized the under 24ft boat realm when they dumped two bomb proof jet ski engines into a 21ft hull which had 40% more usable room in it than the conventional designs. I owned one for six years and ran it hard, only ever cost me gas and oil. Inboards will be gone in 10 years, replaced by multiple outboards which are better in every way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except for style.

And a possible checking of a engine in horrible sea condition.  I like to be in the boat for at sea trouble shooting & replacing a part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep the pressure on the dealer. I agree with you, if I spent 200K deer, I`d want my boat running. They will figure it out, they just need to spend more time with it. Volvo`s are a good engine, but like anything mechanical, there are bugs. Hang in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may need Chap to call Volvo for assistance.  But Volvo may balk saying. The computer says not the engine or any sensors. 

This is why a new boat gets unwanted in a hurry.   Dealer & Chap may argue over who pays how much on a long troubleshooting problem. Dealers can only find what IS defective

Damm good mechanic NEEDS a lot of hands on to figure your problem out.

Get lucky.   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of of good advice re the dealer and mechanics in the replies above.

> "lost power"

Not a lot of tech detail shared .... got me curious.  

Could it be restarted?

Did the dealer check fuel filters and fuel pressure?

No beeps or computer codes?

What model engines?

Everything  should be under warranty,  including engines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaparral is not calling Volvo.

Your dealer who is is an authorized service center should call Volvo if they cannot find the problem.

Volvo makes a good product, your situation is unfortunate.

I have and exhaust temp overheating problem that has been going on 6 months.

Sometimes things are hard to find plus on the Chap 310 sig service on the starboard engine is difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just so we are all clear, Volvo and MerCruiser do not use the same engines.

 Volvo uses a GM based block which is all aluminum and freshwater cooled.

 These engines became available in Volvos product line up about three years ago give or take. 

 MerCruiser has develop their own engine blocks that are proprietary to them. 

 So although you are seeing a Volvo 350 it is not a 5.7 it is a now a 5.3 GM aluminum block engine.

 Regarding the issue this gentleman is having I’m sure his dealer has already been in contact with Volvo, they’ve developed a

 course of action and hopefully his issue will get resolved quickly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

 Just so we are all clear, Volvo and MerCruiser do not use the same engines.

 Volvo uses a GM based block which is all aluminum and freshwater cooled.

 These engines became available in Volvos product line up about three years ago give or take. 

 MerCruiser has develop their own engine blocks that are proprietary to them. 

 So although you are seeing a Volvo 350 it is not a 5.7 it is a now a 5.3 GM aluminum block engine.

 Regarding the issue this gentleman is having I’m sure his dealer has already been in contact with Volvo, they’ve developed a

 course of action and hopefully his issue will get resolved quickly.

 

 

It was so much easier a few years ago when Merc and Volvo used the same blocks. Now I find it hard to keep straight,  and any comparison is apples to oranges,

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Iggy said:

I will say, I have a Sig 290 with twin Volvos. To me, they make a very good engine. 

Both Merc and Volvo, use the same block for what its worth. In my past boats, Volvos have been easier to maintain, starts right up, and preforms better. But, thats me.......

they don't use the same blocks anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJ Chaparral Dealer said:

 Just so we are all clear, Volvo and MerCruiser do not use the same engines.

 Volvo uses a GM based block which is all aluminum and freshwater cooled.

 These engines became available in Volvos product line up about three years ago give or take. 

 MerCruiser has develop their own engine blocks that are proprietary to them. 

 So although you are seeing a Volvo 350 it is not a 5.7 it is a now a 5.3 GM aluminum block engine.

 Regarding the issue this gentleman is having I’m sure his dealer has already been in contact with Volvo, they’ve developed a

 course of action and hopefully his issue will get resolved quickly.

 

 

True as is now.  But it was true 5-10 years ago etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well yes, but mostly no. It is true the cast iron block was manufactured by GM and both MerCruiser and Volvo utilize them. 

 Virtually every other (  with the exception of distributors ) part in the  engine I.E. ignition, control modules, wiring harnesses, cooling, exhaust are different.

 Rarely do you see a engine fail by themselves. It is usually related to an outside source causing the engine to have an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe,

thanks for your input, can you help me understand what you mean by it’s “usually related to an outside source”? Does mean something electrical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All,

Thank you for your feedback - We took the boat out yesterday in an attempt to duplicate the issue and as expected, we lost the port engine after 4 hours. Upon returning to the Marina, they connected the computer and were able to read some of the faults. In the end, they need to replace the ECM and fuel pump.

Lets hope this fixes the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like that service marina might be throwing the parts at the problem without diagnosing it carefully first. Not sure who pays for that approach.

Why not start with getting the info on codes first and based on further diagnosis replacing one part at the time as determined by the analysis of the problem. In any case, informed boater is a better boater ... get involved, get informed.

FWIW ... I will not be surprised if after throwing $3k in parts at this problem, it will still remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 8:13 PM, tetonguy said:

Lifelong power boater here. Volvo or Merc are not that different wrt performance. What IS different is the basic block you choose. Volvo uses the Chevy V6 block also used in the S10 pickups. Thousands of these 1990's trucks are still running fine all over. That block is a proven performer. Once you move off into the ANY of the V8 blocks thing change drastically. There have been a dozen different liter sizes made in an effort to improve performance, loose weight and meet cafe standards. None of them were designed strictly with boating in mind. When Evinrude redesigned the Vtech series some years back it was a ground up 4 stroke design. This resulted in the outboard revolution we are all seeing now.  Volvo and Mercury continue to cut costs by buying lots of existing GM and ford designs; each one have their advantages and built in flaws as well. IMHO if you are going to ask mega bucks for a new boat a ground up redesign is not too much to ask for, better yet task Toyota or  Yamaha to build one. The Yamaha jet boats revolutionized the under 24ft boat realm when they dumped two bomb proof jet ski engines into a 21ft hull which had 40% more usable room in it than the conventional designs. I owned one for six years and ran it hard, only ever cost me gas and oil. Inboards will be gone in 10 years, replaced by multiple outboards which are better in every way.

The Evinrude E-Tec is a direct injected  2 cycle platform. Never heard of a V-Tech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, Chap243 said:

Keep the pressure on the dealer. I agree with you, if I spent 200K deer, I`d want my boat running. They will figure it out, they just need to spend more time with it. Volvo`s are a good engine, but like anything mechanical, there are bugs. Hang in there.

So true. If it were me I'd be swapping the ECM's port to starboard and see if the problem follows the brain. It's good to have twins just for that reason.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting you mentioned swapping the ECM, that's what they did. When they put the starboard ECM in the port, it started. When they took it back out and put the original ECM back in the port, it wouldn't start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TNBrett said:

That's a pretty good smoking gun right there.  Why the fuel pump too then?

Unless they figure the pump faulted and fried an ECM output. Good news is it would appear they are close to finding the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 4:30 PM, Iggy said:

I will say, I have a Sig 290 with twin Volvos. To me, they make a very good engine. 

Both Merc and Volvo, use the same block for what its worth. In my past boats, Volvos have been easier to maintain, starts right up, and preforms better. But, thats me.......

Aren't they both using their own blocks now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, takeahiketour said:

Aren't they both using their own blocks now?

Thats what I have heard, but not sure when the change took place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now