George D

2001 300 Signature fuel tank swap

1 hour ago, bdsherman4u said:

Can you give me the name of the place in RI you had it made  and a phone number?

The name is within the post titled Phase 3. A quick internet search will get the phone number.

Sure looks like he cut the deck. 

He described “stuck” in several places along the way within these excellent posts. First, a bracket that he purposely broke to free it. And weight, a lot of weight to deadlift instead of being “stuck”.

I am trying to calculate the time to do this job......thinking 2, 8 hour days....with the right equipment and tools/help toget it out (crane at the yard), What do you think, perhaps one day if no major issues unexpected found? Full day back in...........

total of 3-4 days..........straight hard work.........

Anyone any thoughts

14 minutes ago, bdsherman4u said:

I am trying to calculate the time to do this job......thinking 2, 8 hour days....with the right equipment and tools/help toget it out (crane at the yard), What do you think, perhaps one day if no major issues unexpected found? Full day back in...........

total of 3-4 days..........straight hard work.........

Anyone any thoughts

With all of the glass work, cure-time, etc., probably another full day. Personally, if in that deep, I’m doing a few other things like a complete scrub of the bilge and also figure out how to isolate the tank from bilge water. Heck, since I can lay down and get under the engines much easier with my legs where the tank would be, I might even do some mechanical to avoid having to contort myself into tight places in the future. My guess, and just a guess, another full day for all of that. Big job for sure.

good point! thanks for "talking it out" I will post pictures if I get into it, otherwise I am thinking on a smaller tank "polyethlyne" on top of the old tank in the engine compartment straped in for the summer, then winter give it a go.....

On 2/12/2018 at 11:23 PM, George D said:

After I got the tank, I coated the bottom and sides with Glovit epoxy. I had also picked up a few sheets of 3/4 marine plywood for the engine room deck and I used the old engine room decks as templates.  I coated the bilge facing side of the plywood with Glovit.

seF1O9QcaoS2MVTYQEnXwMd1xpWlS-5_n9_C-_uY

That's great.  Nice-looking and well built aluminum tank and posting the entire process is terrific and very enjoyable to see, not to mention how educational it is.  So thanks for putting the effort into doing that because it takes a lot of effort (I know first hand) and there aren't many who do this kinda thing anymore, sadly..

My question to you or anyone, is the new law passed that no matter what tank you previously had whether plastic or aluminum and you're replacing it that now it must be aluminum because of the new rule of pressurizing it?  I believe @Wingnut mentioned that on another thread but I think at the time it was being passed along as a possible new law/rule and wasn't in full effect yet.  Anyone know?

good point! thanks for "talking it out" I will post pictures if I get into it, otherwise I am thinking on a smaller tank "polyethlyne" on top of the old tank in the engine compartment straped in for the summer, then winter give it a go.....

Here’s an idea. Pass on the polyethylene tank due to safety. Flush the existing tank with water and a detergent to remote all gasoline and fumes. Then pressure test to confirm the leak(s). If confirmed, cut an access hole into it and inspect. If just a spot or two, and ultrasound confirms plate integrity otherwise, from the inside, weld in an aluminum patch and then weld a patch over the access hole from the exterior. Pressure test again. If good, return to service. Many tanks and pressure vessels are repaired this way (in-situ). I have no idea if the tank is big enough though. My 125 is close.

Thats a thought and may prove fruitful,  I was considering puting a few drops of food coloring or UV detector/green used in radiators, and seeing where it comes out passively, or and doing your idea and with the food coloring and pressure maybe I can see a seem most likely on the belly thats "tinted" 

A lot of boats have those moeller below deck fuel tanks ABCDY compliant etc... ?  This is a 70 gal might fit on top of the glassed in old tank once empty and flushed) Think this may be temporarily a fix but, I live in souther californina, and once the season ends so to speak say November I would pull this out and cut in or cut out the old tank.

Sounds like your not feeling good about theses types of tanks, I agree aluminimum would be the long term fix.

image.thumb.png.0a3bd160d8b9bd3751ef951dcfa0968d.png

Thats a thought and may prove fruitful,  I was considering puting a few drops of food coloring or UV detector/green used in radiators, and seeing where it comes out passively, or and doing your idea and with the food coloring and pressure maybe I can see a seem most likely on the belly thats "tinted" 

A lot of boats have those moeller below deck fuel tanks ABCDY compliant etc... ?  This is a 70 gal might fit on top of the glassed in old tank once empty and flushed) Think this may be temporarily a fix but, I live in souther californina, and once the season ends so to speak say November I would pull this out and cut in or cut out the old tank.

Sounds like your not feeling good about theses types of tanks, I agree aluminimum would be the long term fix.

image.thumb.png.0a3bd160d8b9bd3751ef951dcfa0968d.png

I don’t know. Polyethylene, or any type of plastic fuel tank for that matter, in the engine bay worries me. Just me. No idea if permissible or not.