Sign in to follow this  
JimFla

gear oil in bilge

I have a 94 Chaparral with 5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha outdrive.  Had to have the engine replaced this year.  The mechanic removed engine & outdrive.  Put in a new block, intake manifolds, gimbal housing and bearing, and transom seal.  When I got it back it was leaking gear oil into bilge.  They hauled it again and said it needed a oil reservoir valve assembly($93) and MC MHP Shift Lever assembly.  Is this something that they did to the boat when they had the engine and outdrive out?  Also, would the latest repair require 13 hours of labor? 

Initially they thought it was something else and tried to fix this while the boat was in water. When that didn't work they decided that they would have to pull the boat out to work on it.  

Do they have proof of WHERE the leak is from ?? At least a definite type of oil ?  There has to be a positive trail from some place.  Engine . Stern Drive. Plastic bottle of oil with a loose cap leaking. Power trim / steering............... WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD grief.  Charley Brown is working on the boat.

They now believe the oil came from the valve assembly on the outside of the transom seal, and it leaked inside(not sure how, but...)  They've replaced it.  It's a small plastic torpedo shaped thing that slides into the transom from the outside.  On line it costs about $75.  Not sure how that's possible.  It must have gold inside.

Thru hull lube fitting from the oil bottle out to the drive. Have seen them crack and leak inside.

13 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

Thru hull lube fitting from the oil bottle out to the drive. Have seen them crack and leak inside.

I'd put my money on the actual problem being 861150T02 - you're describing classic symptom and scenario that breaks or cracks these almost every time. Anytime we do bellows work or pull an engine with this style of thru-hull oil reservoir fitting, we replace it to save a serious PITA. This part might cost $ 20 USD however. Can you get us the part # that was replaced?

Image result for 861150t02

Shepherd1

Can a correctly threaded brass pipe nipple  ( straight or pipe threads ),     2 flat rubber O  rings,  2 S S flat washers, 2 s s tension developing washers  ( split, wave or dished  ),     2 S S  flat / thin nuts,    2 correctly sized  barbed fittings replace the plastic part  ?

Would the above parts work to prevent another breakage ?   I have not looked at a boat with that setup.

12 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

I'd put my money on the actual problem being 861150T02 - you're describing classic symptom and scenario that breaks or cracks these almost every time. Anytime we do bellows work or pull an engine with this style of thru-hull oil reservoir fitting, we replace it to save a serious PITA. This part might cost $ 20 USD however. Can you get us the part # that was replaced?

Image result for 861150t02

Yup that's the girl. I always get a few extra e clips to as they like to fly down into the pit of misery. Dilly Dilly.