Sign in to follow this  
DTM75

TOWER OR NO TOWER - Fish and Ski

Family of Four and my kids are little so going with the 21 H2O Fish and Ski. I'm going with the outboard to get more year round use. Dealer thinks the tower will get in the way when fishing. What are your thoughts? 

I hate bimini tops (so I'm jaded, lol), but the tower seems to be a better all around boat. Again, opinions? Thoughts?

I would say that it all depends on what you want to do with the boat. Are you going to do more fishing or more water sports?

I put a radar arch on my boat. Great place to put the fishing poles, VHF antenna and more. 

Tower is an excellent way to keep wakeboards (and their tall bindings) out of the boat.  Maybe kneeboard and slalom skis as well.  If you're not gonna use these items then you probably don't need it. On the other hand, I'd say you can fish fairly well from the bow and from the swim platform.  As Iggy suggests, a tower could also be used to mount rod holders.

FWIW, I added my tower a couple of years after I bought my boat.

Welcome to the forum.

Go for the tower.  It won't get in the way of fishing, and as mentioned, wake board racks make good fishing pole holders.  I use mine for that all of the time :)

I like Futzin logic. 

You really do not know until you have the boat for a while. Some preconceived ideas do change after usage.

Enjoy the togetherness.   :)

Go with the tower.  If you're going out with the family, the bimini will be up most of the time in the summer.  The tower is less obtrusive than the standard bimini, and rock solid by comparison.  Also, the higher towpoint will be a huge plus with the outboard. Personally, I would rather have the tower added at the factory if that's an option versus adding an aftermarket one later.  

Some aftermarket towers look and work rather well . . . 

y4mHJNfvAWWBc8QxUsZV3HWTHrLF7piK672F18uz

y4mlBsS1GVs71eEPh3lSIMbB_A-PNipuSzSbXBt3

y4mvexlc4lwqCEbtHPc99tqta0kqIwK3LcoPxHJK

very expensive factory option ... it really depends on how you think you'll use the boat ... it's a great feature, but expensive.  We also think you should get the 300 hp outboard!  

I meant no disrespect.  I think the New Dimension Towers look good.  But there are other after market towers that look not good at all.  The New Dimension towers are $2395, plus shipping and installation.  The factory tower is a $2370 option.

That's not a bad price for a factory tower.  Surprised.

I agree with you about many aftermarket towers looking like poor additions.  Would possibly even detract from resale value.

I NEVER BUY any personal pleasure item for someone elses pleasure or benefit.

ME, MINE, all mine.   :)      Never did anything for later resale. They might not want the item at all. Could kill a sale. 

If I had to do it again, I would probably get the tower. Bimini top is nice though and offers more shade than the tower, but it gets in the way just as much if not more than any tower would. We have our Bimini up all the time. Only plus is, I can fold it completely down and that makes for easier storage. 

Go for the tower. I specifically searched out a boat with the tower for a few reasons: I liked the fact it makes a good place to grab on to for walking around when in the boat, or when entering the side of the boat from the dock. Tying on a fender midship. I think it will make the boat worth more in the future for resale. I like the tower biminis rather than the stand alone biminis. I'm glad I got one.

Not a fan of towers.  If we had one, it would make using our boat lift less user friendly...same reason I almost never use our bimini.  It doesn't fit under the lift canopy and if you raise the canopy up, you get less wind and rain protection, if you want more wind and rain protection, you need to buy a canopy top with longer sides....a minimum of 2.5 grand.  To deride a bit more, our 220 fits in our garage by about one centimeter, literally, and a tower layed down in its storage position wouldn't allow the boat to fit in my winter storage garage.  The garage was going to be several thousand dollars to have the garage door raised up.  Also, as it turns out, my kids rarely like to do watersports as they are far more into using waverunners.  Sort of a blessing and a curse.  Further, because the story doesn't stop there, even though I was an avid kneeboarder back when barrel rolls, front flips and back flips and table top tricks were cool before wake boards were the thing, my wife has settled in as completely disinterested in driving the boat so I couldn't ever utilize the benefits of a tower even if those other things weren't true.  

We just ordered a 21' H20 Ski & Fish w/o the tower.  Our reasons for avoiding it: cost, garage storage height, and feeling it would interfere in traversing the boat with fish rods.  Time will tell if this was a poor decision or not I suppose.  

We just bought a 21' H2O S&F with the tower and I will say its a love hate thing.  I love the way it looks and was able to add some tower speakers to it, plus the bimini top attaches to it for a nice clean look.  But, I took my daughter and niece fishing Sunday and it is a pain to move front to back with a 6' or longer rod.  However, I felt safe standing under it as they weren't able to hook me!!! LOL. 

28378507_10215675608030213_8355322179041957810_n.jpg

23 minutes ago, Stretch79 said:

We just bought a 21' H2O S&F with the tower and I will say its a love hate thing.  I love the way it looks and was able to add some tower speakers to it, plus the bimini top attaches to it for a nice clean look.  But, I took my daughter and niece fishing Sunday and it is a pain to move front to back with a 6' or longer rod.  However, I felt safe standing under it as they weren't able to hook me!!! LOL. 

28378507_10215675608030213_8355322179041957810_n.jpg

Sharp boat, and a great pic!  Welcome . . . 

11 hours ago, brick said:

Green is the new yellow...

Is that good or bad?  lol

I had a yellow truck in high school 20 years ago, when I saw the lime green I had to have it.  Its a boat, its supposed to be fun.  The white seemed boring to me, the other color options were ok but that LIME green just stood out and was calling my name.