Sign in to follow this  
bcboater

BOOT STRIPE

Anyone have a colored hull that has taken the boot stripe off and not replaced it?  I am concerned that the stripe covers any sins between the blue and white on my hull.  The stripe is chipped up from the marina lifting straps and I need to do something about it.  I'd like to see any before and after shots if you did this.

Come on spring...not sure I can take this much longer!

any stripe you take off specially on something that's had some time is going to show some difference in the fading department.  on my 2002 265ssi I took off the stripe in 2015 because it was banged up and it looked silly anyways.  After taking it off you could see little difference up close but that was on white.  If your taking decals off a colored background, I would expect some difference in coloring.

4 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

If your taking decals off a colored background, I would expect some difference in coloring.

That's correct. I took the 2" decal strip from my black hull after 4 years of boat use. The black gelcoat that was under the strip is always more glossy than the rest no matter how much I wax and polish. You can distinguish the difference more before waxing and polishing while the boat is on trailer and you look at it up close. Not a big deal really ... you cannot see it when boat is in the water.

Richard-

Is the gelcoat transition straight?  I figure one of the purposes of the boot stripe is to cover any variances in the line between the gelcoat colors.  I take it you like it better without the stripe?

The color transition is smooth on mine. It's only shows at the very end at the stern on mine. From what has been said the fading might be the bigger concern.

The stripe on my boat was a decorative one well within the black gelcoat area.

The transition from black to white gelcoat itself is not perfect on my boat. For most part it is located on the underside of the chine and not readily visible. The segments where there is no chine, close to and on bow, and under the swimplatform are crooked. The one on the tip of the bow, the prime and very visible location, was pretty much a smudge of black gelcoat into the white area. I have grinded the excess black gelcoat and created the straight lines with a new layer of white gelcoat.

You never know what you might find under the stripe ... 8)