Hodge71

Help finding a 2330 or 2130

13 hours ago, Hodge71 said:

I would say the must haves are a Chaparral in the 21 to 23 foot range.. Ive been around boats for 20 years. Started with a Bayliner 175 in 1998. Moved to a Sea Ray 190 in 2003. Been around Chaparrals since 1995 with my uncles. Ordered a 220 with a 350 mag and bravo 3 in 2005 and then my ex wife who couldn't get pregnant...did..... with my son. So the boat was turned own when it showed up at Capri Marine on Lake Wallenpaupack and I got a little miracle instead in my son. We have been looking at buying  a boat for a few months now and checked many out in person. I can honestly say with what Ive seen there is nothing that holds up like a Chaparral. The gel coat on most of the used Chaparrals I looked at was in amazing shape compared to the Sea Rays and Ebb Tides etc that I have looked at. The Chaps were out of my price range though. Even when neglected the gel coat still shines online the rest. I'll figure it out. I think by going with the 2130 and 2330 I can get Chaparral quality in a good used boat at a decent price point. Maybe I can open my eyes to a 210 or 220 if the price is right. I like the extended swim platform and so does the girlfriend and our kids. I just gotta find one at the right price.  

one thing to think about when comparing boats specially in the 19-20ft range your talking entry level boats for most manufactures.  To be honest my 93 crownline was just as good if not better quality than my 2002 chap.  MY 91 fountain was way better quality then that same chap I had, fountain and chap is apples and oranges though.  You want you want.  I guess with that sort of budget I would be willing to really go look at other stuff out there to see. 

28 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

one thing to think about when comparing boats specially in the 19-20ft range your talking entry level boats for most manufactures.  To be honest my 93 crownline was just as good if not better quality than my 2002 chap.  MY 91 fountain was way better quality then that same chap I had, fountain and chap is apples and oranges though.  You want you want.  I guess with that sort of budget I would be willing to really go look at other stuff out there to see. 

I suppose I'm not brand loyal, I just want the most for the least money.  Chap delivers that....I looked at lots of boats when I went from my Chap 190SSi to my 220 SSi.  I'd have liked to make a switch to something with maybe a different style but the differences with the lake boats are just glaring.  my 220 is older than the 190 was even.

OP keep in mind, when we are talking loa's on boats, that the swimplatform isn't included sometimes in the LOA and sometimes it is with certain brands and certain years.  The 220 SSi then is just a hair under 24 feet with the platform which makes a difference storage wise as well.  

16 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

The 220 SSi ...  is just a hair under 24 feet with the platform which makes a difference storage wise as well.  

Yes.  My 220 measures 23' 9" LOA

3 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I suppose I'm not brand loyal, I just want the most for the least money.  Chap delivers that....I looked at lots of boats when I went from my Chap 190SSi to my 220 SSi.  I'd have liked to make a switch to something with maybe a different style but the differences with the lake boats are just glaring.  my 220 is older than the 190 was even.

OP keep in mind, when we are talking loa's on boats, that the swimplatform isn't included sometimes in the LOA and sometimes it is with certain brands and certain years.  The 220 SSi then is just a hair under 24 feet with the platform which makes a difference storage wise as well.  

I'm right there with you.  And maybe chap offers that in that budget range, not saying it wont.  I'm just thinking for 10-12k you might better your position with an open mind that's all.

Personally I never really counted anything that wasnt integral to the boat, so a 22ft with a 2foot bolt on is still a 22ft boat IMVHO, you can use the swim platform all the time or underway.  But it is nice. 

42 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

I'm right there with you.  And maybe chap offers that in that budget range, not saying it wont.  I'm just thinking for 10-12k you might better your position with an open mind that's all.

Personally I never really counted anything that was integral to the boat, so a 22ft with a 2foot bolt on is still a 22ft boat IMVHO, you can use the swim platform all the time or underway.  But it is nice. 

Ha ha, I'd agree but my ocean boater friends have some serious vessels and a little round up when they ask me what I have when my boat is smaller than their tender's is ok.  

Doing the math, my 210 is actually 20'6" but with my 22" swim platform it comes out to being a 224. That does sound better.  :D

Should I change my signature?  :scratchchin:

The 220 is 21' 6" without the bolt-on ESP.  I typically refer to my boat as a 22 footer.  Might be a 21' to the insurance folks . . . 

1 minute ago, Futzin' said:

The 220 is 21' 6" without the bolt-on ESP.  I typically refer to my boat as a 22 footer.  Might be a 21' to the insurance folks . . . 

And it's a 30mph boat when insurance asks me the top speed.  

On 3/1/2018 at 10:49 AM, soldier4402 said:

I looked and paid the price...lol...I expanded my Horizons so to speak and checked out a couple Sea Ray Horizons. A 220 and a 230 both on Craigslist. I emailed about them, heard back from 1 person Saturday morning. He asked for my email so he could send more pictures like I asked for......GUESS WHAT........ SCAM!!!! been getting emails from all over the world. Apparently I have a friend in Slovenia that needs me to send him 1000 dollars for the taxes on a $100,000 prize. All he needs is my checking account number to transfer the funds.....Thankfully Lifelock stopped any other issues before they got out of hand.......lesson I learned....Dont trust anybody selling  a Sea Ray......  Chaparral owners can only be trusted...SO my search continues for a 2130, 2330 or maybe a  210 or 220. 

On 3/1/2018 at 1:04 PM, Futzin' said:

Under 21 for me for insurance and slip fees. BTW Futz, looking at your new sig pic, how did you attach that slide to your boat?   :D

On 3/1/2018 at 0:06 PM, Chaparral Rider said:

But we round up to 24' when talking to our boat friends.  

Unless you are paying for a slip. Then it’s a 22...

brick

18 hours ago, tomnjo said:

BTW Futz, looking at your new sig pic, how did you attach that slide to your boat?   :D

duct tape and Elmer's . . . is that wrong?  

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

duct tape and Elmer's . . . is that wrong?  

Ha! I love that pic, shows the boat off really well. But the first time saw it, I did a double take on those ladder supports.  :lol:  BTW, is that by where you keep your camper?

That is actually from a rental cabin/dock while on vacation at Norris Lake, TN.

y4mjV-xkyWN6vr9kIO5IA4XFIdIFL-UtCEEpLtAF

y4m64_2cJzJxXLOTzMnKvq0ghml_N6IDSV9JYopS

This is home:

y4msn9rz-VQE-mdY2yPBwURQ9c7zV1eL6V5J1Vcs

y4m8Q5-Ad4aYF51cU-dznDPH2VyovR47RZhCRsMd

Need to log a lot more pictures that I can post.  I lost a lot of good ones in the Photobucket debacle . . . wonder if they're happy with their decision?

On 3/5/2018 at 9:11 PM, Hodge71 said:

SO my search continues for a 2130, 2330 or maybe a  210 or 220. 

Some mention earlier with regards to adding or not adding SeaDek as not needed. On some models like my own 01' 186 SSi, the UL approved diamond non-skid provides lots of grip on the integral and factory ESP, storage lids and ladder cover. 

On the older models such as the 2130 and 2330 SS, Chaparral used a different non-skid, and the integrated swim platform had a slight angle making it somewhat easy to slip and fall; the plastic storage lids were especially slippery in my experience. I choose to install Sea Dek mat on both integral and ESP as I feel it provided excellent grip, doesn't get hot and is by far more comfortable on the feet and knees.

Forgot to mention, Chaparral rebadged the 2330 SS for 2000-2001 as the 240 SSi and sold it under that model for a couple of years I believe. A few minor upgrades over the 2330 SS if memory serves, but essentially the exact same boat. I personally prefer the Sport seating option with twin buckets. (not to be confused with a 240 Signature) 245 SSi was the cuddy version.

Image result for chaparral 240 ssi for sale