Hodge71

Help finding a 2330 or 2130

Hey guys,

Im running low on options here and I thought I'd reach out to the experts. I grew up spending summers up Lake Wallenpaupack in NEPA on my uncles 1995 1930SST with a 5.0 Mercruiser. I've grown up, started a family, built us a log home over 14 months in 2016 and 2017. Its time for a boat for the 4 of us and our new GSP pup. I cannot find any year 2130 or preferably a 2330 for sale. Ive checked the internet and found a few examples cross country away. How the heck do you find these boats? I'd like to make a purchase in the next 2 months

Consider the more recent 220SSi series. You will like the ESP ( extended swim platform ) and side walk-thru. These can also be hard to find, but you only need one...

brick

Like brick said, a 220 or even an older 216 could be a viable alternative. Also a 2003 and newer 210 has the same hull as the old 2130. 

Youre right...I only need 1....... BUUUUUT and thats a big but...Money is an important factor here. I'm looking to get into something in the 10-12 grand area with a trailer if possible. I absolutely cannot go over 15k. I can do that with a 2130 or 2330 ....I highly doubt Im going to find any Chappy boat that the year starts with 2 for that price unless it clapped out. Maybe a Bayliner or Maxxum. I will definitely start searching though. I looked at a 1998 Sea Ray 210 this past weekend and while  the interior wasn't bad but the trailer was destroyed and the gelcoat just doesn't look as good as a Chaparral of the same era. Thanks for the input. At least its another avenue to search. Kids just want to spend the summer up Lake Wallenpaupack.....I can't blame them one bit.

15k is tough for the 220 so I can see why you are looking in the 1990's.  The thing is that the 220 build materials are dramatically different than the previous generation's.  The 220 and others of the next gen Chaps moved on to the next gen materials such as starboard materials where there was formerly wood, fiberglass floor where there was formerly carpet covered plywood, flow through seat materials that are impervious to rot versus wood, etc, etc.  The 220 and similar aren't more expensive just because they are newer, they are a better mousetrap.  I'd bet you could get your hands on a 190SSi for 15k.  

I found a 1998 1930 limited with a 4.3 Alpha and 290 hours with new bellows for xxxx 50 miles from me on Lake Wallenpaupack. How is the 4.3? Not enough motor for this boat? My Uncles 1930 had the 5.0 alpha 1 and it was a 50 mph boat all day long with a clean bottom. Halfway through the summer it was down to 45-47 mph because of algae on the bottom.

My old 1996 1930SST with a 5.7L/Alpha was a 50 mph boat. Never faster. The 4.3 is OK, but the 5.0 or 5.7 is better.

bricj

15 hours ago, Hodge71 said:

I found a 1998 1930 limited with a 4.3 Alpha and 290 hours with new bellows for xxxx 50 miles from me on Lake Wallenpaupack. How is the 4.3? Not enough motor for this boat? My Uncles 1930 had the 5.0 alpha 1 and it was a 50 mph boat all day long with a clean bottom. Halfway through the summer it was down to 45-47 mph because of algae on the bottom.

Looks like the 1930 is 2600lbs dry with the base engine.  I had a 190ssi that was just over 3000lbs dry with the 4.3 liter and it was ok until you loaded it up with people.  I could have corrected some of that with a lower pitched prop.  The extra 400lbs though is like two extra adults all the time.  I'm betting the 4.3 in a lighter Chap such as the 1930 will be a 49mph boat all day.  

That said, I wouldn't take a non MPI engined boat for free these days.  I have a tattoo that says I hate carbs on my wrist.  

3 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Looks like the 1930 is 2600lbs dry with the base engine.  I had a 190ssi that was just over 3000lbs dry with the 4.3 liter and it was ok until you loaded it up with people.  I could have corrected some of that with a lower pitched prop.  The extra 400lbs though is like two extra adults all the time.  I'm betting the 4.3 in a lighter Chap such as the 1930 will be a 49mph boat all day.  

That said, I wouldn't take a non MPI engined boat for free these days.  I have a tattoo that says I hate carbs on my wrist.  

I dont fear carbs so I think I'll be ok

My previous 1930SST weighed 4460 lbs on a steel tandem axle trailer. That was with the 5.7L and full fuel. The trailer was 1200 lbs of the total. 

brick

On 2/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, Hodge71 said:

Hey guys,

Im running low on options here and I thought I'd reach out to the experts. I grew up spending summers up Lake Wallenpaupack in NEPA on my uncles 1995 1930SST with a 5.0 Mercruiser. I've grown up, started a family, built us a log home over 14 months in 2016 and 2017. Its time for a boat for the 4 of us and our new GSP pup. I cannot find any year 2130 or preferably a 2330 for sale. Ive checked the internet and found a few examples cross country away. How the heck do you find these boats? I'd like to make a purchase in the next 2 months

People on this forum may get sick and tired of me saying this, but if you get a 2130 SS or 2230 SS, 210  SS/SSi, 216 SSi, etc. than I HIGHLY recommend leaving room in the budget for an extended swim platform and SeaDek mat. 

While I like the 2130 and 2330 SS models, for that budget I would look for a MY 2000 216 SSi. Just a superior design all around. Ran the same hull as the 220 SSi. Here's an example that is rough but may do the job with some TLC.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Chaparral-216-SSi-3139664/Possum-Kingdom-Lake/TX/United-States?refSource=browse listing#.WpK3JqinG70

Should this be a consideration for you, I would contact Cecil Marine to see if a factory ESP is still available from Chaparral. Should they be NLA, then I would look at swimplatforms.com and have a SeaDek mat made up to fit it.

http://swimplatforms.com/showImages.php?mk=192

Chaparral_216_SSi_1a.jpg

I will go the opposite on the sea deck mat.  We have no such mat on the platform of our 220 and can't even manufacture a time when we'd have needed it much less appreciated it.  I could see it on the sole of the boat just for cushion while barefoot.  We just never slip on our platform as the diamond pattern just makes a mat unneeded.  No swim platform however is a non starter as would any of the pre 2000 patented hulls which is when the next gen superior design and materials started.  Keep in mind those 2000 and 2001 hulls were used for many more years because the exact same boat models were still being sold with only tiny changes each new year.  The 220 sold from 2001 to 2007 If my memory is correct.  

well if your on a budget why lock yourself into a certain brand.  I know people tend to want a few things in a design which ultimately point them towards a few brands or models. For 15k if you were to open yourself up to more options it shouldn't be to hard to find something in the 21-22ft range possible even 2000 or newer.  FWIW id rather have a newer boat with less hours and not be my top brand but still have everything I want, then a brand that I wanted. 

Guess what I am getting at is on a lower budget, I would write down the must have and length and then find some models and brands that work, then simply look for the vintage that works for you.

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I will go the opposite on the sea deck mat.  We have no such mat on the platform of our 220 and can't even manufacture a time when we'd have needed it much less appreciated it.  I could see it on the sole of the boat just for cushion while barefoot.  We just never slip on our platform as the diamond pattern just makes a mat unneeded.  No swim platform however is a non starter as would any of the pre 2000 patented hulls which is when the next gen superior design and materials started.  Keep in mind those 2000 and 2001 hulls were used for many more years because the exact same boat models were still being sold with only tiny changes each new year.  The 220 sold from 2001 to 2007 If my memory is correct.  

yeah there has to be a platform for sure, extended while nice isn't necessarily a must if the stock platform is sufficient.  I agree with the mat, I couldn't justify the ridiculous price when snap on carpet or bare fiberglass seems to be fine.

I decided to just do the integrated swim platform. I have enough flooring left over to do the extended platform if I chose.

y4mZ8rqhvavBv5CkaxfK4foXgdw-BFnE_OxlA0En

My SeaDek is possibly the best upgrade I've done.  I absolutely love it.  To each their own.

y4mlBsS1GVs71eEPh3lSIMbB_A-PNipuSzSbXBt3

14 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

I decided to just do the integrated swim platform. I have enough flooring left over to do the extended platform if I chose.

y4mZ8rqhvavBv5CkaxfK4foXgdw-BFnE_OxlA0En

Looks good, Tom!

So does yours, Futz. I have nothing against it on an ESP but I paid extra for the anti skid finish Starboard for my ESP so I will leave it as is till it gets scratches or gouges on it. Then I will put my extra flooring on it. The anti skid is still a little more "grippy." Plus, I don't have the cool Chap logo on my flooring, although I bet I could cut one into it. Still wouldn't look as good....

7 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

well if your on a budget why lock yourself into a certain brand.  I know people tend to want a few things in a design which ultimately point them towards a few brands or models. For 15k if you were to open yourself up to more options it shouldn't be to hard to find something in the 21-22ft range possible even 2000 or newer.  FWIW id rather have a newer boat with less hours and not be my top brand but still have everything I want, then a brand that I wanted. 

Guess what I am getting at is on a lower budget, I would write down the must have and length and then find some models and brands that work, then simply look for the vintage that works for you.

I would say the must haves are a Chaparral in the 21 to 23 foot range.. Ive been around boats for 20 years. Started with a Bayliner 175 in 1998. Moved to a Sea Ray 190 in 2003. Been around Chaparrals since 1995 with my uncles. Ordered a 220 with a 350 mag and bravo 3 in 2005 and then my ex wife who couldn't get pregnant...did..... with my son. So the boat was turned own when it showed up at Capri Marine on Lake Wallenpaupack and I got a little miracle instead in my son. We have been looking at buying  a boat for a few months now and checked many out in person. I can honestly say with what Ive seen there is nothing that holds up like a Chaparral. The gel coat on most of the used Chaparrals I looked at was in amazing shape compared to the Sea Rays and Ebb Tides etc that I have looked at. The Chaps were out of my price range though. Even when neglected the gel coat still shines online the rest. I'll figure it out. I think by going with the 2130 and 2330 I can get Chaparral quality in a good used boat at a decent price point. Maybe I can open my eyes to a 210 or 220 if the price is right. I like the extended swim platform and so does the girlfriend and our kids. I just gotta find one at the right price.  

My cross cut fiberglass doesn't seem to add much grip.  I've had kids fall on mine crossing boat to boat in a raft up.  The SeaDek is really soft and grippy, with a great 'foot feel'.  Wonderful to sit on, too.

5 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

I would say the must haves are a Chaparral in the 21 to 23 foot range.. Ive been around boats for 20 years. Started with a Bayliner 175 in 1998. Moved to a Sea Ray 190 in 2003. Been around Chaparrals since 1995 with my uncles. Ordered a 220 with a 350 mag and bravo 3 in 2005 and then my ex wife who couldn't get pregnant...did with my son. SO the boat was turned own when it showed up at Capri Marine on Lake Wallenpaupack and I got a little miracle instead in my son. I have been looking at buying  about for a few months now and checked many out in person. I can honestly say with what Ive seen there is nothing that holds up like a Chaparral. The gel coat on most of the used boats I looked at was in amazing shape compared to the Sea Rays and Ebb Tides etc that I have looked at. Even when neglected the gel coat still shines online the rest. I'll figure it out. Maybe I can open my eyes to a 210 or 220 if the price is right. I like the extended swim platform and so does the girlfriend and our kids. I just gotta find one at the right price.  

Hope you find a good one!

+1. Just be patient. Sometimes that's the hardest part.

12 hours ago, Futzin' said:

My cross cut fiberglass doesn't seem to add much grip.  I've had kids fall on mine crossing boat to boat in a raft up.  The SeaDek is really soft and grippy, with a great 'foot feel'.  Wonderful to sit on, too.

Two years ago, I fell on my ISP and dented the swim ladder cover with my knee. I now have a swim platform mat. I ended up getting one that was offered as OEM from Great Lakes Skipper. Much more sure-footed now.