Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Schaefer

Water Softner and Filter

Own a 330 Signature that's stored behind my home on a lift and looking for a good spot free water softner to rinse the boat and fill my water tank.

Any suggestions?

I dont think a water softener will solve your problem.  First softened water tastes terrible even after filtering...at least to me and my family....and second softened water will still leave spots if not more.  They make water deionizers though that may work for you but not sure if its ok to drink or not.

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-DIC-20-Deionized-Water/dp/B072FJTX8X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519248066&sr=8-3&keywords=water+spot+filter

Thanks for the feedback. Should clarify, I don't really care about it being drinkable, my boats in salt water and after the day when I wash down the hull I am trying to minimize the water spots.

Our yacht club has a filter to trap minerals in fresh water.  Might be something for your wash down with salt water ?

Quick check of seawater reveals it is Sodium, chlorides & Magnesium........... How much filtering & capacity is up in the air.  Possibly a under the sink model will give enough flow for a wash down

There is a car detailing squeegee type thing you can buy on Amazon for $20, run it over the boat after washing. I use on my Corvette which is also fiberglass and 0 water spots. Also the deionizer mentioned above my neighbor uses when he washes his Tesla and he says it works amazing, way more expensive though. I feel like you would have to really really hate water spots to buy one of those lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Water-Blade-Silicone-Waterblade/dp/B00II5YADC/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1519255259&sr=8-21&keywords=car+detailing+squeegee

I use a squeegee on my fiberglass camper and its windows after a rain . . . easier on that than a 33' curvasious boat, though.

Je ff

If your house water is clear ?  Run a hose or buried plastic line down to the dock.  Just keep the pitch angled down so you can put a drain valve at the docks lowest point.

Mr. Clean products makes a water hose spigot sprayer that has a hard water filter cartridge built in. Designed for car washing but probably would work on a boat.

I use a product called Hot Sauce.

I spray it on the boat, and either just wipe down or soap and wash and it takes care of the water spots.

I am actually a water engineer and consultant....always surprised at the amount of misinformation when it comes to this topic.

A water softener removes calcium and magnesium....that’s all it does.  It’s an ion exchange process that will remove those two ions and replace it with sodium.  NOT SALT...but sodium.

Water softeners typically don’t impart a bad taste.  

Sea water has a lot of contaminants in it and I can’t image a softener working very well.  To do this correctly you have two options, either run a multiple stage system that includes filtration, softener, and then a membrane like an RO, or run an evaporative concentrator.  You could run the sea water directly to the RO but the capacity will be terrible.

IF, you are planning on softening potable well water at the shore or any water from a tap, a softener will work very well!  If you want to add an RO, it will work even better depending on how many grains of hardness you have.  If you know the grains, I can tell you what will work.

As long as you are not going to drink the water, you can add a little jet dry to your tank and you will not get any spots.  Heck, you can try that with the hard water too.  Jet dry contains wetting agents which causes the water to run off.  

Its not the hard water that causes spots, it’s the combination of hardness, droplets that don’t run off, and evaporation to driness.

Eliminate the hardness?  No spots.  Eliminate the water drops?  No spots.  Elimated drops evaporating?  No spots.