MontreAl

Tilt-Trim Switch Inoperative

7 posts in this topic

If you raise it with the platform switch, will the throttle switch work to lower it back down?

3 hours ago, MontreAl said:

The throttle mounted tilt/trim has stopped working on my '08 Sig 270.  I have a t/t switch on the swim platform and it works fine.  I am thinking I need to replace the switch at the throttle. I believe this is the correct part: http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/9037.cfm

Has anyone had to do this before?

More than likely your trim limit sender has failed which is located on the port side of the out drive pivot point. Use the transom switch to raise the drive, then see if the throttle mounted switch will lower it.  W

Yup, that's where I was going, too. Also see if it raises using the trailer function on your throttle switch.

I would pull the bad switch out just enough to get at the contacts. Than jump across then. Does the drive go up and down. If it does, than you have a bad switch.  

This happened to my buddy last summer, one of the wires had broken/fallen/detached off the bottom of his trim switch on the throttle assembly. He soldered it back on, good to go.

Just to clarify, both the up and down do not work on the shift handle switch?  I had a similar situation a couple seasons ago.  My issue, as it turned out, was due to me doing an extensive engine bay cleaning and water got into the harness in the engine bay where the transom mount switch wiring and the handle mount switch wiring converge due to the c clamp meant to keep water out not being tight enough.  I think something had been replaced at one time and not put together tightly.  Water got into the plug and corroded in about ten days of not using the boat.  I cleaned out the male and female ends of the plugs and it all started working again.  Just my experience.  It is harder to get to the inside of some of our boats due to having to get behind the upholstery to reach the screws to remove the shift handle for a switch replacement.