Sign in to follow this  
wings&wheels

183ss one piece canvas cockpit cover

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards a supplier for a one piece canvas cockpit cover for our boat?  Been searching online, but no luck so far. 

We have the 2 pieces, but the bow piece funnels water under the center hinged windscreen panel.   In the pic (Hurricane Jose) you can just see where water pools and I stuffed some sheeting in to direct it away.   Seems like one piece joining the two pieces and covering the windscreen, using the same snaps, would be ideal.  

We have a mooring cover, but that is cumbersome and doesn't work well w/ the ropes on the cleats.   

thanks all.

Yeah, that area can be a problem. At least the boat has a fiberglass cockpit liner....

24 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Yeah, that area can be a problem. At least the boat has a fiberglass cockpit liner....

..and now a second, always powered bilge pump.   But I would like to try and keep water out.    Thx..and I targeted this model for the fiberglass liner as well as a few other features. 

IMG_6217.JPG

Like this?  I think that will be a custom cover.  I've never seen an OEM cover that covered bow and cockpit that wasn't a full cover, at least not on any Chaparrals.  When looking for a bow cover I googled Custom Bow cover and found a couple that made them like the above.  You'll likely have to take your boat to them.  

My factory bow cover has a flap that wraps under and up the lower center windshield frame. As your cover is gray, and your boat is yellow, assume yours is aftermarket? 

Any good marine canvas shop should be able to make you a one-piece cover, using the existing snap locations.

brick

21 hours ago, wings&wheels said:

We have a mooring cover, but that is cumbersome and doesn't work well w/ the ropes on the cleats.   

Any canvas shop could add "cleat pockets" to your mooring cover.  I only have a mooring cover and use it all the time....

Chap Jose 2.jpg

IMG_2978

Interesting because that boat came with a two piece like your except the cockpit portion snapped down past/covering the windshield right adjacent to the bow cover.  I've never seen one not like that.  So then when trailering, the cockpit cover protects the windshield, etc.   The solution then, because the water still came in the same as yours, was to put velcro between the cockpit cover and the bow cover.  In a pinch, you could use some tape for a one time use by taping the underside edge of the bow cover to the inside of the center windshield glass.  

Hi All and thanks for the replies.

This is a new aftermarket cover set (cannot remember the brand) that does snap to the underside of the center windshield panel, but, even with the poles, water will pool in that area until it starts running into the corners and between the snaps of the panel.   I was able to reduce the leakage by putting a length of the split foam pipe insulation over the bottom of the center panel edge w/ some overlap which filled the gaps and mostly sealed the area between the panel bottom and canvas, but it still leaked a bit and I just don't like kludges. 

I like the idea of adding pockets to the mooring cover to allow using the ropes there as well as secure the cover.  We are in a very sheltered cove so strong wind is almost never an issue, just rain, leaves, ants and really big spiders...but the living things are a different issue.   Thanks again all for helping the boat newbie.

Anyone know a reputable canvas shop in Mass?

sometimes it is the simple things.....

I added 3 additional snaps to the flap and center panel, for a total of 7 or 8 (away from boat right now), to hold the fabric tighter to the panel frame and it greatly reduced the leakage.  If we are expecting significant rain, I place a piece of slit foam pipe insulation around the lower edge of the panel, with the fabric flap tightly snapping under that.  Looks like a kludge, but effective....