Sdorsey82

Ski Locker Storage will NOT drain

I have a 2016 H20 sport 21' and in the ski storage locker located between the captain and passenger seat will not drain. There is a drain in the aft wall however the problem is that the fuel tank is pushed up so close to the drain hole that it prevents any water from exiting into the bilge. I have contacted Chaparral about this and they sent me an email with pictures of how to fix. They show to drill a hole in the locker floor board just in front of the hole on the wall and that should do it. However, I have drilled into the floor 3 1/2" and it did not open up. I did not want to drill any deeper. Its so frustrating and now I have a 3" deep hole in my locker. Has anyone else had this problem? It appears that someone didn't take the time to make sure the tank was moved back away from the hole. Any help would be appreciated. 

you can see my drain hole is on the wall. I used a 1/2” drill bit. I’m trying to upload the pics from Chaparall but it says I have reached my limit of file size...

D5F98590-D7A2-4BF6-9EE7-23EDA48156F2.jpeg

B8421B4E-616B-41C7-8E22-E10F76F2C334.jpeg

A70A8F6E-9E19-4CDD-9F92-5F9DF7103E7C.jpeg

Have you tried now flushing some water through your hole to see if it makes it`s way to the bilge? Make sure you have a slight bow up boat position to simulate being on the water and to aid in rearward flow.

Somebody in Chaps design should be held under water . To do such a bad job of allowing water & bits of skis junk to clog up the passage.  Totally unacceptable.

Edit           I would do a quick look & feel of the hull bottom just to be sure the bit did not breakthrough.

That’s how the hole is on the H2Os. They don’t drain worth a crap either.  I had to flush out mine when I first got it. It had debris coming from somewhere that ended up in he bilge. It drains, just not great. 

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I would do a quick look & feel of the hull bottom just to be sure the bit did not breakthrough.

I was thinking the same thing!!  Probably didn't but that seems like a deep hole.

You might see if you can find a remote inspection camera and poke it down the hole to see what it looks like.

Thanks gentleman for the advise. I did check the hull and no breakthrough. I didn’t want to screw with this problem in the first place. It’s a brand new boat and under. 5 year warranty. I expressed this to gem from the beginning but they insisted that it was an easy fix DIY. They told me the wall hole was a design flaw so they changed it to the floor. When you tell me to drill a hole I’m assuming you have the blueprints or the engineer available to give that move a blessing. Now I have compromised the integrity of the fiberglass and have to figure something out to patch that. I attempted to move the tank towards the stern but the hardware was too tight to reach. It only needs to be moved ever so slightly to allow the water to pass. 

2 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I was thinking the same thing!!  Probably didn't but that seems like a deep hole.

It will drain great... on the trailer...   :-/   

It is really to drain when floating in the water.  During a cruise with any combination of people moving around. Wet or dry.

Standing water is NOT GOOD in winter freeze & thaw places. The expanding water cycles keep wedging downward to the bottom.    A continuous center drain gutter is not that difficult to design in any hull at the factory.

Oh well.

The 2002 186 SSi has a rear bench seat brace that is almost a perfect seal to the floor V bottom I would slosh some bleach back & forth to kill the mold living in the tank area. Never had a mold odor problem.......I did not store skis.  But it was filled with big wet fenders all the time.

I just fixed mine.  I have an 03 186ssi, drain had too sharp of an angle to run cheap borescope and too far into bilge to run that way.  Bought 1/8th" plumbing snake for tubs and drains, filled ski locker, ran it through bilge under the float switch mount and got drain cleared.  When it broke free there was enough water flowing that it flooded my bilge faster than the bilge drain works.