Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pops NJ

Boat Lift ; Walking Plank

21 posts in this topic

Just got a boat lift installed.  Wondering from others that have a walking plank on the opposite side of the dock, where did you get it from.

I figure I need one about 22 feet long.

that is a long span if you are just supporting on the ends - you can try Werner ladders for aluminum picks but again 22' is probably too long without a center support for just a walk plank.   

y4mCSZIIfIW1qpDYRtGWkLkIUpAh9tvJNxxDOYXw

Was it not an option for the one you bought?  I have one on mine, but I got my slip with the lift already there.  Looks to be original optional equipment.

The lift manufacturer has options that I will also look into.  Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

I would think it needs to be aluminum - the lift poles/beams are 12 feet apart.  With a 26 foot boat - the overhang will be about6 feet on both ends.

Hope you find something; it's a huge help having something on that side.

Maybe scaffolding walkboards . . . 

What is the purpose of having the ability to access the boat from the opposite side of the dock?  We've never been in a position to need to access from the opposite side of our dock and lift, having had a house on a lake for a long time now.  Just don't want you to spend money if you don't really need to.  Only time folks have a second dock for example on the other side of the boat is to access their other boat on their other lift.  

Otherwise I slide the belt buckle to my side. Remove wristwatch & class ring. Take off my shirts with buttons.

WE have bought 2 x 12 boards and cut them into curved pieces. Spliced them together.   To allow walking around to the bow. While standing nicely to do covers or hull polishing safely.

Try not to drop the electric buffer into the water......... That tests the GFCI the correct way.    :o

Almost forgot. Tie the buffer plug to the power cord with a cord knot.  Beats jumping in or feeling around with a rake.

54 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Why;) a boat lift? Don't boats belong in the water?

Boats do belong in the water.  For some there are good reasons for a lift.  Lifts aren’t a guarantee that the boat won’t get damaged or lost.  A former colleague kept his boat on a lift (tidal water), even kept the plug in it.  A hurricane raised the water enough to release the boat from the lift, he never saw it again.  Granted a rare occurrence, however lifts do not guarantee damage free boating.

20 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Enables you to clean it, cover it etc

Hmmm....lifts are all covered around me but I suppose I can see the cleaning aspect.  I do an exterior detail at the beginning of the season and that's all the outside gets.  We only get a tiny line on the hull and no growth as we are only on an inland lake.  

15 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

Boats do belong in the water.  For some there are good reasons for a lift.  Lifts aren’t a guarantee that the boat won’t get damaged or lost.  A former colleague kept his boat on a lift (tidal water), even kept the plug in it.  A hurricane raised the water enough to release the boat from the lift, he never saw it again.  Granted a rare occurrence, however lifts do not guarantee damage free boating.

Sure, but you transfer that risk via insurance.  It may be regional as you mentioned the tidal water..there isn't likely a single boat on my large lake not on a lift...it's just how its done unless you get a visitor staying over and they tie off for the week or whatever.  

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Sure, but you transfer that risk via insurance.  It may be regional as you mentioned the tidal water..there isn't likely a single boat on my large lake not on a lift...it's just how its done unless you get a visitor staying over and they tie off for the week or whatever.  

Correct, it is the marketing mix of what you have available that directs how you store your boat.  For instance, On Kueka Lake, NY most of the lifts are on individual   piers and docks with hand operated lifts, a good choice for their ski boats and their seasonal docks.

1 hour ago, TidalPotomac said:

Correct, it is the marketing mix of what you have available that directs how you store your boat.  For instance, On Kueka Lake, NY most of the lifts are on individual   piers and docks with hand operated lifts, a good choice for their ski boats and their seasonal docks.

Several years ago, my dad and I took a trip to Hammondsport to the Glenn Curtiss Museum.  Afterwards, we walked around the waterfront.  It's been awhile since being there and I thought it wasn't deep enough to launch my 23 footer or maybe the ramp wasn't long enough [don't remember]. Any suggestions where to launch in Kueka Lake?

1 hour ago, SST said:

Several years ago, my dad and I took a trip to Hammondsport to the Glenn Curtiss Museum.  Afterwards, we walked around the waterfront.  It's been awhile since being there and I thought it wasn't deep enough to launch my 23 footer or maybe the ramp wasn't long enough [don't remember]. Any suggestions where to launch in Kueka Lake?

Pen Yann has a decent public boat launch. I launch and retrieve my 28 footer there once a year although I have to admit it is a little short for my boat so next year I am thinking of trying the launch @ Keuka Lake State Park.

3 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

It's funny you say that, pretty much every lake in my state does the covered removable boat lift thing except one large intown lake where everybody uses a completely different method.  Can't figure out why.  You talk marketing, and it's again funny, one of my neighbors at my lake home owns one of of the major outdoor recreational equipment manufacturers in the world including lifts.  Most people on the lake have that brand of lift and dock.  

On our rivers, slips, boatels and trailering. While some marinas have lifts, the majority of the lifts on on private piers and docks.

We are slipped year round.  The Northeaster that passed blew the water out of the river, our boat is now lying in mud.  Not ideal situation however the water will come back and raise it along with the othe boats.  

Why a boat lift - mostly to clean wax the other side - wide black band on the gelcoat.  Also, I don't want to bottom paint the boat.

Best reasons to me.  

You will own the lift quickly   IF  you do the strip & pant the bottom costs by someone else.