Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave37

New Owner

4 posts in this topic

New to the forum and new boat owner here. I recently purchased a 2007 ssi 190. Any “do’s” and “dont’s“ on the forum would be appreciated.

Also, any guidance the forum could provide into the world of boat ownership would be great. When I say “new boat owner”....I mean I basically know how to turn it on!!!

Welcome aboard.  Great people here and some very knowledgeable folks.  Probably my first and foremost tip would be to take a US Coast Guard boaters safety course.  Bring the family.  Its worth it.  You will learn some of the rules of seamanship and get a good idea on the equipment you will need on the boat. Second, get a membership to BOAT US for the towing service.  Maybe part of your insurance policy if you have one.  Our older boat was a single and we called on them at least once for a tow.  

Last, if looking to do your own maintenance, there are a couple of guys here that can help you out with links to manuals.  

Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome to the group.

Several things come to mind for new boaters.

1) Take a USCG approved boating course to learn the "rules of the road". You'll be amazed on how many people out there don't know the rules and create potentially dangerous situations.

2) Before loading the family up and heading out take one person out with you and spend several hours learning how to maneuver and dock the boat. This will relieve a LOT of stress on your "maiden voyage" with the family /friends.

3 ) If your trailing the boat take some time to read up on best practices at the ramp and spend some time practicing during off hours.

Welcome to the group and boat ownership. Good advice regarding USCG training. Do you have a seasoned boating friend to tag along on your first few outings?

brick