Sign in to follow this  
Paul Chaplin

2130SS

Good Afternoon all,

I currently have a 1996 2130 SS, which has a 5.7 vortec block with 4bbl carb. Alpha Gen2 1.47 ratio. The engine runs very smoothly and feels like it delivers a reasonable amount of HP. 

When I bought the boat I could feel a little soft patch near the helm station, a good price was negotiated. Any ways, I had a good year on the water (fresh) but the soft spot was niggling me.

So the carpet go stripped out and holy crap. I can explain what it was ;like underneath. The deck had been repaired before, but the fiberglass had all de-laminated. 

I cut the deck out, cut back or replaced the stringers, fiberglassed everything in place, removed the foam and replaced it, and I tend to over engineer a little, so know i have a really solid floor and a good coating of epoxy on both sides. I didn't put carpet back down, going with a decent coat of paint and some non skid. It works well and does not hurt the feet.

Now the boat sits higher in the water, (I did remove a lot of water under the deck), I  feel like the prop is ventilating quite a lot as i approach WOT. I am running a 5 bladed Signature prob that I believe is 14.25 x 19P. (no markings but I used a calc and worked it out by measuring)

WOT is 5000, top speed by GPS is 49MPH, 2 adults a cooler and 55 gallons of fuel.

My questions are, what prop should I run, as I tend to do little watersports (a little tubing as the kids are still young) mainly to cruise along the lake, with the odd fast run.

Has anyone put trim tabs on this boat, she is easy to trim, holeshot with the 5 bladed prop is quick and she gets on plane fast enough, but if you go from 3000 to 5000 you can feel and hear the prop break grip, so a little throttle back wait for it to bite and then dial in the revs progressively does the trick. But i would like it to be more linear. 

And does anyone know of a good aftermarket swim platform or a DIY plan?

4bbl v Fuel Injection (might as well throw that in) 

I love the boat, but just want to iron out a couple of little issues. 

I've got '95 2135ss with 5.7L 4bbl carb.  I get 48mph at 4400 rpm with 24p bravo III.

i think you need a little steeper pitch with a 4-blade prop.  5 blades don't do well at speed, and you get good grip with 4 blades out of the hole. 

for watersports you might want to go higher in pitch, you might loose some speed.  5 blade for a boat like that is probably a bit much.

I agree with others on a higher pitch prop.  Hitting 5000 WOT on a fully loaded boat, you are getting close to the rev limiter which is probably right at 5000 or 5200 I think.  And, again, that is fully loaded.  You should probably be aiming for around 4800 RPM when loaded, 5000 when the boat is as light as it gets (just you and 1/8 tank or so).

5 blade props are typically used for water sports only, mainly skiing.  Switching to a 4-blade you should get same or better speed, a little less grip and oomph on the hole shot, but much better overall handling, especially in reverse.

Your best bet would be to see if a local shop has test props you can use try and see how the perform before diving in and buying one.

I would switch to a three blade considering what your boating habits are. That will bring your RPMs down and give you more speed. 19 pitch e blade should be good with your 1.47 gears. 

im running a 19 pitch also great all around prop   sill getting around the 50s    im just wanting SS next prop   

On 3/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, tomnjo said:

I would switch to a three blade considering what your boating habits are. That will bring your RPMs down and give you more speed. 19 pitch e blade should be good with your 1.47 gears. 

+1

brick

On 3/4/2018 at 6:09 PM, Paul Chaplin said:

I  feel like the prop is ventilating quite a lot as i approach WOT. I am running a 5 bladed Signature prob that I believe is 14.25 x 19P. (no markings but I used a calc and worked it out by measuring)

WOT is 5000, top speed by GPS is 49MPH, 2 adults a cooler and 55 gallons of fuel.

My questions are, what prop should I run, as I tend to do little watersports (a little tubing as the kids are still young) mainly to cruise along the lake, with the odd fast run.

Has anyone put trim tabs on this boat, she is easy to trim, holeshot with the 5 bladed prop is quick and she gets on plane fast enough, but if you go from 3000 to 5000 you can feel and hear the prop break grip, so a little throttle back wait for it to bite and then dial in the revs progressively does the trick. But i would like it to be more linear. 

And does anyone know of a good aftermarket swim platform or a DIY plan?

4bbl v Fuel Injection (might as well throw that in) 

I love the boat, but just want to iron out a couple of little issues. 

Wow, that's a lot of serious work with the floor and stringers; well done!

I'm a great believer in installing an extended swim platform on that boat, along with Sea Dek mat (or equivalent) on both the integrated and extended platforms. The integrated swim platform was angled and the non-skid used was kind of slippery IMHO, especially the storage lids. While Chaparral never made a factory ESP for that boat, they did for the 210 SSi, but sadly they have quit making that ESP. Leaves you with aftermarket option only, which in truth is a larger ESP anyway. Sea Dek can custom make a mat for the integrated and aftermarket swim platforms.  We're going on our 6th year with our Sea Dek mat, and it has been terrific for added grip, comfort (especially on the knees) and looks.

http://swimplatforms.com/showImages.php?mk=309

Chap%202130,%202135%201j.jpg

Example shown of Sea Dek on a 210 SSi with factory ESP (used the same hull as the 2130 SS, but slightly different deck and came with a cockpit liner) Sea Dek doesn't show the upper integrated mat on their website for the 210 SSi but they obviously have the pattern. Storage lids are certainly a different shape and size than that used on the 2130 SS.

Image result for skiya later chaparral

For trim tabs, could go with Nauticus Smart Tabs. Recommend only 60 lb actuators as the extended V plane hull design already adds a fair amount of stern lift. Standard sized 80 lb actuators for that size of boat I found produced too much bow steer and general bow down running angle. Cheapest and easiest option to install, and work well. Could also go with Lenco, Bennett, Zip Wake for added control but a lot more money.

If you were to go with the Smart Tabs, highly recommend the optional hinges. Wish I had larger pictures, but photobucket makes that very difficult now.

Related image Image result for skiya later chaparral

http://nauticusinc.com/smart-tabs-sx/

NOTE: if you were to install an extended swim platform and tabs, you have to ensure the support brackets for the platform are positioned so they don't interfere with trim tab placement or movement.

Lastly, for a prop option, if you wish for the ventilation issue to go away, recommend a 4 blade ss prop such as Mercury Revolution 4, Vensura or older used Offshore series. We do a lot of tubing, etc. and found the Offshore series won't break loose. Have used 3 blade ss Mercury standard Enertia and it would break loose in hard cornering, but offered little better top speed. Keep the PVS holes solid with no holes. Try a 17" or maybe 19" pitch.

Chris