Beeka

Replacement fireboy automatic extinguisher

My automatic extinguisher in the engine compartment is 14 years old and time to replace. Got the replacement from Defender and got a bit confused with the wiring - instructions were not very clear. IMG_1389.JPG.89e4de6b652cb2c3c483004a2502ad33.JPGIMG_1390.JPG.df81882c7ee862ce7bff34eeeaf0114f.JPG 

The first pic is the current unit in the boat and the second is what I just got. I called fireboy and asked which wire connects to which side and the response was that it is a pressure switch and has no polarity. Not what I expected but thought I would share in the event someone else needs the info.

2004 254 Sunesta

Thanks!

Mine is coming up on 10 years soon and is on my list of things to replace.

It works off of the Negative side of you blower and the panel light. What are you confused about?

I think the OP was saying that they were surprised the valve has no polarity--you can hook the wires up either way and it works.

1 hour ago, sburke91 said:

I think the OP was saying that they were surprised the valve has no polarity--you can hook the wires up either way and it works.

Yep!

For what its worth, I called fireboy on having it recharged. They said, as long as the gauge is in the green and to wight it to see if its NOT lighter than it should be. Than you are all set. Its not like the small ones that have an expiration which I was supersized that these don't have. 

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

Yep!

For what its worth, I called fireboy on having it recharged. They said, as long as the gauge is in the green and to wight it to see if its NOT lighter than it should be. Than you are all set. Its not like the small ones that have an expiration which I was supersized that these don't have. 

I am glad that they don't have an expiration date on them. The one for my boat is around 700. 

16 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

I am glad that they don't have an expiration date on them. The one for my boat is around 700. 

Yep! 

I am not too far behind you on that............................

I think they also recommend that you turn the canister up side down and tap it with a rubber mallet to keep the chemical loose. Unless it's Halon.

Last week, I got the name of a local expert to have my FB inspected.

I do see the inspection and weighing instructions.

How do you know how many years they are good for?

Does the clean agent go bad?

Upside down and tapping is for the dry chemical ones only, not the halon.

The switch is a common dry contact switch. No polarity, as it's open / closed.

The halon ones are good as long as they intact and hold pressure, not subject to the 5 year inspections of the newer ones. enclosed is the USCG reg on it concerning inspections.

9 hours ago, Iggy said:

Yep!

USCG will want to see a valid inspection of the fireboy in order to be counted as a fire extinguisher,  without a valid  inspection tag, substitute a hand held.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, Beeka said:

My automatic extinguisher in the engine compartment is 14 years old and time to replace. Got the replacement from Defender and got a bit confused with the wiring - instructions were not very clear. IMG_1389.JPG.89e4de6b652cb2c3c483004a2502ad33.JPGIMG_1390.JPG.df81882c7ee862ce7bff34eeeaf0114f.JPG 

The first pic is the current unit in the boat and the second is what I just got. I called fireboy and asked which wire connects to which side and the response was that it is a pressure switch and has no polarity. Not what I expected but thought I would share in the event someone else needs the info.

2004 254 Sunesta

Just an observation, but did have a Chaparral in the past that exhibited odd electrical issues; principally with the dash. Found the culprit to me a push on wire connector had come loose from the automatic extinguisher. Pushed it back on, and all was well after that.