Ponyboy96

Trailer Adjustment?

I’m going to weigh everything and see where I’m at. I may be just fine. I need to get the boat out of storage and ready anyways. Been parked since weekend of thanksgiving. 

I have an E-Z Loader steel trailer that weighs in at 1300 lbs and my girl with all of her goodies comes in at about 5200 lbs.

My E-Z Loader came with a booklet with a formula and a diagram showing how to weigh the tongue weight.

They recommend 180 lbs tongue weight, and that is what I have done for 25 yrs, with no issues, moving or stopping, at a max of 55 mph, and no fish tailing. Also having the trailer brakes properly adjusted is the key to keeping the unit straight when stopping.  Denny.

IMG_0458.jpg

Take it to a truck stop and get it weighed.  Weigh it first with truck and trailer together, then unhook the trailer, and weigh the truck alone.  They should give you weights for each axle group(front axle, rear axle, and trailer axles).  That will tell the whole story.  Report back with the numbers, and I'm sure we can help get it all sorted out. 

The other question I have is what type of tires are you running on the truck?  If you're running P series tires, they are going to be less stable while towing than LT series in load range D or E. 

41 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

Take it to a truck stop and get it weighed.  Weigh it first with truck and trailer together, then unhook the trailer, and weigh the truck alone.  They should give you weights for each axle group(front axle, rear axle, and trailer axles).  That will tell the whole story.  Report back with the numbers, and I'm sure we can help get it all sorted out. 

The other question I have is what type of tires are you running on the truck?  If you're running P series tires, they are going to be less stable while towing than LT series in load range D or E. 

Will do. I’m running the bfg ta ko2’s. 

13 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Too much load, and / or weak springs, and / or improper / worn out shocks can all attribute to suspension bottoming out.

Pops is right. 

NO way the truck should bottom out at highway speeds .  Unless the roads are endless 6" to 12" deep pot / kettle holes.

No ? Then you have a LOAD of stuff in the rear truck bed ?  things that are hefty ?  Easy to carry weight back there since 2013.  

Truck has had softer springs installed ? 

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Pops is right. 

NO way the truck should bottom out at highway speeds .  Unless the roads are endless 6" to 12" deep pot / kettle holes.

No ? Then you have a LOAD of stuff in the rear truck bed ?  things that are hefty ?  Easy to carry weight back there since 2013.  

Truck has had softer springs installed ? 

Payload is only 1161 on my truck. Throw in myself, wife, 2 kids, large dog, plus all the coolers, gear, and other items in/on the truck and it runs out quick. Doesn’t leave a lot for trailer tongue weight. 

Springs/shocks are all factory. 81k miles on them. Could be due for some new ones. 

Your F150 should handle this boat/trailer no prob.  Agree with all and get weighed and then set the tongue weight.  

My 2003 Expedition (5.4L) towed my 2001 216SSi without any problems...  typical 65mph on 5hr trips through the KY and Tenn mountains.  

DSC00024

Just had a Thought about that VERY needed picture of your boat hooked to the F 150.  Load the boat with normal trip gear. Also load the truck with people & all the gear for atrip.

That picture will tell us & you how much spring increase you need.  Remember DEALERS DO undersize trailers.  All the rubber bushings could be worn badly & split open.

I did that 40 years ago. With the 16 ' Aluminum fish boat & daughters small Honda Civic. Every rubber bushing worn out & or split.  The boat had a easily 600# of stuff in it for 6 hour interstate drive in mountains at 60 mph.  Money was tight then. So I justified the overloading.

12 hours ago, Ponyboy96 said:

Will do. I’m running the bfg ta ko2’s. 

What load range?

Couple thoughts. Ko2 tires are they over sized from what the truck came with. If so that can add to your sway. Make sure tires on truck are inflated to max allowed on the tire. Tall sidewall tires with lower air pressure are not towing friendly.

You mentioned thought of going to a 250. I thought about this as well as often I tow over 10K using a dump trailer bumper hitch set up. I instead bought a HD towing Chevy 1500 that has the 6.2 liter engine (420hp) and has a tow capacity of 11,700lbs. Larger rear axle and slightly lower gear ration and still rides like a 1500 series with out the neck breaking roughness of many 250 series truck. Ford may offer a HD version of the 150 as well.

We were initially towing our H20 with a 2010 Chevy Tahoe and quickly found out it didn't have enough tung weight and it would give you the push around beat up feeling on rough roads. Moved the boat forward on the trailer by moving the which section forward. It mad a huge difference in handling. It just couldn't make up for the lack of HP with the 5.3. 

150 can tow much better with LT tires instead of P tires, Firestone airbags do wonders for adding stability to the rear suspension as well and are DIY friendly. 

I'm all for you keeping your current truck as paid for and your happy with it. You just need to start tweaking some things and some low cost upgrades will make big differences in towing compatibility 

On 3/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

Has anyone here have to adjust your trailer weight distribution?  I’m curious since I’ve never quite been able to get my trailering to ride right while towing.

ive been thinking it could be my trailering vehicle. I got the hitch as level as I could. It goes better, but I still don’t feel it tows as well as it should. I’m towing with a 2013 F150 fx4.  I know my cargo capacity is 1161 on the truck for a gvwr of 7200lbs.  Loaded with my family and gear I’m right at the max weight with the boat hooked up. 

Have you had to adjust the axles or the post to make it tow better? Or do you think it’s a vehicle issue?  I’m considering upgrading to a F250 diesel as I know it will be more than capable. 

Your towing wight should higher than that, no? But I don't know the size engine and rear end. My 2013 F150 was about 10,000lbs and I loaded more weight that in the bed. My last boat that I trailed was 6.500lbs than 1,800 to 2,000lbs for the trailer, than 500lbs food, fuel, water, gear and 350lbs for me and the wife. I must have been hitting close to 9,500lbs. You could hear the engine work, but it did it and never had a problem.

My Sig 290 is just to heavy to be towing now.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

Your towing wight should higher than that, no? But I don't know the size engine and rear end. My 2013 F150 was about 10,000lbs and I loaded more weight that in the bed. My last boat that I trailed was 6.500lbs than 1,800 to 2,000lbs for the trailer, than 500lbs food, fuel, water, gear and 350lbs for me and the wife. I must have been hitting close to 9,500lbs. You could hear the engine work, but it did it and never had a problem.

My Sig 290 is just to heavy to be towing now.

Don't confuse total weight with GVWR, which is just the weight put on the truck itself.  Which would be the truck weight, any cargo and people in the truck, and only the tongue weight of the trailer.  As long as all of that is below the, in this case, GVWR of 7200, you are good to go weight wise.

In your case, you probably had 8000 lbs (if you put food, fuel water and gear in the trailer) on the trailer, high estimate of 800 lbs of tongue weight.  Add people, 350, for a total of 1150 plus the truck itself which is right at, in the worse case for a F150, the max GVWR.

The limit on 1/4 ton trucks, and even on some 1/2 ton trucks, is the GVWR.  They can pull super heavy loads, but they cannot haul (as in weight directly on the truck) super heavy loads.

10 hours ago, dsmacey said:

Don't confuse total weight with GVWR, which is just the weight put on the truck itself.  Which would be the truck weight, any cargo and people in the truck, and only the tongue weight of the trailer.  As long as all of that is below the, in this case, GVWR of 7200, you are good to go weight wise.

In your case, you probably had 8000 lbs (if you put food, fuel water and gear in the trailer) on the trailer, high estimate of 800 lbs of tongue weight.  Add people, 350, for a total of 1150 plus the truck itself which is right at, in the worse case for a F150, the max GVWR.

The limit on 1/4 ton trucks, and even on some 1/2 ton trucks, is the GVWR.  They can pull super heavy loads, but they cannot haul (as in weight directly on the truck) super heavy loads.

Yep! To many, aberrations to remember.  Have you ever seen Good Morning Vietnam??

Dsmacey is correct and this is what we were running up against.  Sure the truck had plenty of power to pull it.  It towed it ok, just wasn’t the most comfortable to tow with, big bumps, big trucks, interstate towing was not good.  Also if you get into an accident and you are over the gvwr, the insurance company could very well not cover you.   

At the end of the day, we felt that we were close if not over the max gvwr.  We ended up trading the truck in and got an F250. We have to tow on the interstate to get to and from the lake and would also like to take the boat on longer trips. Loaded down in the F150 with a gvwr max or over plus luggage on trips didn’t seem prudent. My father in law tows a 10k trailer daily for work. He suggested we upgrade actually. He suggested it last summer also when he rode with us when we visited.  Said we were probably at the limit on the truck. 

Congrats on the new 250. It should resolve all of your previous issues with a margin to spare.

I tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban.  Nice stable platform.  Enjoy . . . 

Thanks. I hated getting rid of that truck. I got a good amount on trade and the new 250 is much nicer inside. I still have to get used to driving and parking this bus. Lol

My only advice would be never feel you have to tow faster than you’re comfortable with on an interstate. Just because SD around my area has 80mph speed limit doesn’t make it safe to tow at that speed just because the truck can take it.

you don’t sound like the type to person that would do that though. Safe and steady gets you to the boat ramp and home safely and you’ll be less stressed out as well compared to those that get so wound up driving fast.

congrates on the new truck! We bought a 2018 Raptor a month ago as a fun truck and is it ever.

I have towed a rig that REFUSED to slow down on a curve. Going down hill.    The words.....

MOMMY  MOMMY   Save me.   Come to mind.  

14 hours ago, struggle said:

My only advice would be never feel you have to tow faster than you’re comfortable with on an interstate. Just because SD around my area has 80mph speed limit doesn’t make it safe to tow at that speed just because the truck can take it.

you don’t sound like the type to person that would do that though. Safe and steady gets you to the boat ramp and home safely and you’ll be less stressed out as well compared to those that get so wound up driving fast.

congrates on the new truck! We bought a 2018 Raptor a month ago as a fun truck and is it ever.

Congrats on your new truck. I did glance at the raptors, but the payload capacity was only 990lbs. Not going to be able to tow or haul much with that. Agree on the safety factor, I definitely don’t tow faster than comfortable. Not going 80mph. No more than 70 for me. Less than that and you are a safety hazard in Atlanta. 

12 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

I have towed a rig that REFUSED to slow down on a curve. Going down hill.    The words.....

MOMMY  MOMMY   Save me.   Come to mind.  

That’s not good. Changed brakes on my old F150 to some Napa pads at 50k, it wouldn’t stop itself very well with nothing on it. Got pushed through a light towing an atv trailer. Swapped those out quickly for some powerstops with z36 pads. Excellent brakes. Highly recommend those. 

Best thing about towing with my F250 is the tranny tow/haul mode. Turn it on and it will maintain a set speed going down steep grades. Very little if any braking needed. 

Congrats on the new truck.  I think you'll definitely feel a lot more stable going down the road.  

On the other hand, and I'm not trying to be a downer here, did you ever weigh the old set up?  Its just that it sounded like you had more going on than an undersized tow rig.  If there was something wrong in the setup of the trailer before, there's still something wrong.  You may have just masked the problem with a bigger truck.  I'm not saying there's necessarily some thing wrong, but I would want to check.  I tow my 21 H2O with a 2500 suburban, but there's no reason a relatively modern F150 shouldn't be able to safely, and comfortably tow a boat that size.