Sign in to follow this  
Exoset

RAM Tank Replacment - Titan Fuel Tank vs Transfer Flow

Hi guys,

I have a 2017 Dodge RAM 3500 Mega Cab Dually Laramie Limited 6.7 Cummins and so far, I am very pleased with it, plenty of torque, of room inside, etc..

There is one flaw though, the tank is a 31 gal.

Far too short for my needs, I mean, the truck weight 14 000 lbs empty, the boat + the trailer are about the same which means 28 K total, and I am supposed to tow all the way down to Florida with ... 31 Gallons, I guess I will have to stop at the gas station every 250 Miles... or I could replace the tank.

I saw 2 company in this field of activity :

Titan Fuel Tanks : Made in USA, made of High-Density Cross-Linked Polyethylene (Military Grade), lifetime warranty, lighter and stronger than the original, 50 Gal. instead of the actual 31 Gal.

Price : 1249 $

http://titanfueltanks.com/products/mid-ship-fuel-tanks/dodge-mega-cab-short-bed-super-series-2013-2018-7030213

Transfer Flow :  Made in USA, made of aluminized steel, Six Year/Unlimited Mile Warranty, 50 Gal. instead of the actual 31 Gal.

Price : 1717.85 $

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116381?p=1&c=10&s=p-

In short, both have the same capacity but they are made of different materials, of course each company is defending his choice, this video doesn't lie though :

I am well aware that I will have more hit on the Dodge or Cummins forum about that, but I wanted to share this with the crew here, just in case in case someone encounters the same problem one day.

I guess I am leaning toward the Titan Fuel Tanks option, my fuel gauge should remain accurate but my DTE (Distance To Empty) will not... as the EVIC will still see a 31 Gal. Tank. I can deal with this DTE is not vital to me. Other than that we are talking of 2-3 hours of labor @home.

If someone have done this before, any input will be appreciated or if interested I will post the outcome ;)

You could install a DOT about 100 gallon truck bed tank. With a 12 vdc locking gas station pump & handle. IF  IF  You shut off the engine and put the pump handle into the truck fill tank opening............ That is legal because there is NO CONSTANT fuel line connections.  So a gas station stop to fill both almost empty tanks, would give your truck long legs.

That is how I read the DOT rules.  California guys & NJ both have used 10% Ethanol gasoline for 10s of years in Aluminum tanks with no problems.

A solid tie down with a DOT tank should do wonders.        You could then plan your refills in NO Ethanol states. while eating, sleeping & rest room stops. Several boater from Florida do that back & forth.

I would be fine with stopping every 250 miles. By then my bladder is full......

On 3/14/2018 at 0:26 PM, tomnjo said:

I would be fine with stopping every 250 miles. By then my bladder is full......

I typically say the same thing, but because I'm towing the boat with radar arch (like Exoset), I'm looking for truck stops only.  So that means I"m looking for one right at about 220 miles when I tow to Florida.  I'd love the larger tank so that I have more choices (not to mention being a little more selective about WHERE I fuel up due to prices).  If we want to stop for lunch or bathroom break, we wouldn't have to necessarily find a truck stop either.

So I agree, @Exoset, I'm interested to hear what you decide.

6 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I typically say the same thing, but because I'm towing the boat with radar arch (like Exoset), I'm looking for truck stops only.  So that means I"m looking for one right at about 220 miles when I tow to Florida.  I'd love the larger tank so that I have more choices (not to mention being a little more selective about WHERE I fuel up due to prices).  If we want to stop for lunch or bathroom break, we wouldn't have to necessarily find a truck stop either.

So I agree, @Exoset, I'm interested to hear what you decide.

Done it last week and I was waiting to see the benefit of it. I took the Titan 50 gal. tank and it is just so much better than the previous..

Jeff, I guess you have the 31 gal. like me ?

With the dually I could make around 430 miles before hitting the reserve. I just done 870 miles today and fill the tank with 42 gal. on a total of 50. Which means reserve is now 8-9 gallons instead of the previous 4 gal.

I saw the difference in term of material and size between the 2 tanks (they were on the ground side by side) and the Titan looks far more durable than the old one. Tank + labor cost me around 1500 USD taxes included and if I had to ? I would do it all over again :).

I will let you know how it is when I will get the boat in the end of April :) and towing. Remember the truck weight 14 K and the boat + trailer is probably around the same which means I will probably drop to 500-600 miles before hitting the reserve ( I am never going this close of the reserve though :p) so let's say refill every 400-450 miles.

Oh and you are right Jeff, I am only going on Interstates and tanking in Truck stops for 3 obvious reasons named : Length ( 64 ft), width (10 ft) and height (13.6 ft). I guess that is a problem you encounter only when trailering a cruiser.

I didn't want to go with a tank in the box because I have a one piece tonneau cover which means I couldn't fill the tank, I also didn't like the idea of all the modifications you have to make to link it to the main fuel system (splitter, cut the fuel pipe, etc...)

Here is why I can't fit the additional tank in the box :

180322120044238492.jpg

Very nice!  I just assumed yours was a tank in the bed.  Yes, I have the same 31 gallon tank.  Doesn't take long to empty it towing the beast!  :)

12 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Very nice!  I just assumed yours was a tank in the bed.  Yes, I have the same 31 gallon tank.  Doesn't take long to empty it towing the beast!  :)

Well I will let you know around the end of April, with the 3500 AISIN I have a lot more torque than I had with the 2500, I guess I should be closer when towing, in term of consumption, compared to when I am not.

Combo truck/boat  is also heavier than before so I just hope to keep at least the same range than with the 2500/ Sig 270 from 2 years ago. Lanes seems narrower with the Sig 290 fat $^&, the trip will probably be a little more exhausting, I will have to be more focus. But despite all of this.. I am so eager to be in June :D

34 minutes ago, Exoset said:

Well I will let you know around the end of April, with the 3500 AISIN I have a lot more torque than I had with the 2500, I guess I should be closer when towing, in term of consumption, compared to when I am not.

Combo truck/boat  is also heavier than before so I just hope to keep at least the same range than with the 2500/ Sig 270 from 2 years ago. Lanes seems narrower with the Sig 290 fat $^&, the trip will probably be a little more exhausting, I will have to be more focus. But despite all of this.. I am so eager to be in June :D

Here's some quick totals from my trip to Ft Lauderdale last year:

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins Diesel

Truck weight 9k, boat/trailer: 10k (19k total weight)

2,844.3 miles roundtrip

265.65 gallons of diesel on 13 fuel stops

10.7mpg