Hodge71

narrowed it down to 2 boats a 2330 and a 230...Input please

Two in just a few minutes. I knew Futz would be the first black boat defender.   :D   The only thing worse was the fact that I used to have a green boat.  :o

I have a friend that bought a brand new black and blue CL deck boat last year. Really good looking boat. Personally, I'm still old school on color. Give me mainly white with an accent stripe. If I had a cruiser it would be all white with some small vinyl graphics or striping.

12 hours ago, Mi3sons said:

I believe they are the same hull. Sounds to over priced on the 2330. I can also tell you the 2330 with that setup to hit 55 is about impossible. My 230 with a 496 tops out at 56.5. I would expect to see high 40's if your tuneup is spot on and the props are perfect and just you with less than half a tank of gas. See where I'm goin.

Similar specs between the 2330 SS and 230 SS like 22 degree deadrise, but I believe they used different hulls. Certainly felt completely different in my experience when driving them; 2330 SS felt heavier like it was planted in the water but had a very capable ride, while the 230 SSi I found to be more responsive to course changes with an outstanding ride characteristic. Both are good in rough water for their respective class size.

Like others, I just can't see the 2330 SS touching 50 MPH with that particular engine set up; too heavy.

Here's a pdf showing a boat test of 2330 SS with 300 hp 7.4L (454 carb) with Bravo 1. 

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/publications/Editorials/95mag/95-2330SS-SomethingToCelebrate-Boating.pdf

Like the Sport seating on the 2330 SS you posted. Buckets though on the 230 SSi will be a lot more comfortable, and walk-thru transom never disappoints. I know you mentioned fishing, but please consider installing an ESP on either model (if the 230 SSi doesn't have it already) Bravo 3 sticks out a long way past the integrated swim platform and someone falling from the boat could get badly hurt. Just my opinion sir.

Head compartment on the 2330 SS wasn't nearly as nice a set up as the 230 SSi, but you should be able to install a porta potti if wanted.

Well I'm late to the party here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree with the consensus here that neither of the boats being considered are a good choice based on price and engine options. I have a 230 and a good friend has a 2330 with a 7.4 Bravo 1. I seriously doubt that the 2330 you're looking at "can do 55+ all day long".  45-50 is more realistic. IMHO the 230 cockpit layout is much better and having MPI vs carb is a no brainer.  The first time you would load up that 230 5.0 with a bunch of people you're gonna have buyers remorse at the hit of the throttle. My advice would be to find a clean 230 with a 5.7 Bravo 3 (better yet an 8.1 but they're few and far between) and you'll have no regrets. 

3 minutes ago, CKSNAP said:

Well I'm late to the party here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree with the consensus here that neither of the boats being considered are a good choice based on price and engine options. I have a 230 and a good friend has a 2330 with a 7.4 Bravo 1. IMHO the 230 cockpit layout is much better and having MPI vs carb is a no brainer.  The first time you would load up that 230 5.0 with a bunch of people you're gonna have buyers remorse at the hit of the throttle. My advice would be to find a clean 230 with a 5.7 Bravo 3 (better yet an 8.1 but they're few and far between) and you'll have no regrets. 

The 2330 is a 350 mag MPI 300 horsepower with a Bravo 3. I've been around old muscle and race cars forever, mostly MoPARs, but I still know that horsepower sells cars and torque wins races. So my question is the 300 Hp from the 350 mag doesn't have enough torque as the 300 horsepower from the 7.4? Big block has more torque correct? Or don't they rate boat motors by torque? I don't understand why Merc would offer 2 motors with the same horsepower, 1 small block with EFI and 1 carbed if there wasn't an advantage somewhere

There was a switch over time. The 7.4s were being discontinued and Merc and VP came up with higher HP versions of the 5.7 to replace it. Mercs is 300 HP and VP has a 320 HP version. If you wanted a big block after the 7.4 was dropped you had to go up to the 8.1.

10 hours ago, tomnjo said:

If I had a cruiser it would be all white with some small vinyl graphics or striping.

Mine is all white with a thin red stripe. I would never own a cruiser that had a colored hull... 

3 hours ago, Hodge71 said:

The 2330 is a 350 mag MPI 300 horsepower with a Bravo 3. I've been around old muscle and race cars forever, mostly MoPARs, but I still know that horsepower sells cars and torque wins races. So my question is the 300 Hp from the 350 mag doesn't have enough torque as the 300 horsepower from the 7.4? Big block has more torque correct? Or don't they rate boat motors by torque? I don't understand why Merc would offer 2 motors with the same horsepower, 1 small block with EFI and 1 carbed if there wasn't an advantage somewhere

Race cars are designed to be as light as possible and typically with only one seat. The boats you are considering are similar to pushing your living room with 12 people seated in it through the water. Torque is key not horsepower. And you are right OEMs should spec torque ratings. 

I have a PDF from GM Marine from 2013 that shows the 5.7 makes 292hp/370ftlb. 

Mercury uses 10% +/-  on engine ratings to get those nice round numbers. 

I don't have numbers for the 7.4 but the 8.1 Mag (375hp according to Merc) is 392hp/503ftlbs. I would bet the 7.4 300hp is in the 400ft lb range. It is a slug considering its displacement and weight penalty. All that being said, the 7.4's peak torque will be lower in the RPM band than the 5.7 making for a better holeshot and higher cruising speed.

23 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Don't be that guy . . . 

A guy I work with just bought a 21' Tahoe with a 4.3l against my advice.

I feel sorry for that guy.  Bought a bass pro brand boat and an under powered engine.  We rented  a 19' open bow last year with the 4.3, it was a dog with only 4 adults and 2 kids on board. 

A boat with a Sting Ray or other brand of hydrofoil on the drive is a sure sign of an underpowered vessel. 

Back to the OP, I would expand your research a little further so that you get the best bang for your buck on a boat that fits your needs. To me it sounds like neither one of those boats will do that. IMO.

3 hours ago, Stretch79 said:

I feel sorry for that guy.  Bought a bass pro brand boat and an under powered engine.  We rented  a 19' open bow last year with the 4.3, it was a dog with only 4 adults and 2 kids on board. 

I tried to tell him.  Buy it right the first time.  Too gung ho to listen.  His buddies told him top speed 35, 40 which sounded fine to him.  I told him that's about right, but it's gonna struggle to get there.  His mind was closed ... he couldn't buy one fast enough ... sad.

11 hours ago, CKSNAP said:

Well I'm late to the party here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree with the consensus here that neither of the boats being considered are a good choice based on price and engine options. I have a 230 and a good friend has a 2330 with a 7.4 Bravo 1. I seriously doubt that the 2330 you're looking at "can do 55+ all day long".  45-50 is more realistic. IMHO the 230 cockpit layout is much better and having MPI vs carb is a no brainer.  The first time you would load up that 230 5.0 with a bunch of people you're gonna have buyers remorse at the hit of the throttle. My advice would be to find a clean 230 with a 5.7 Bravo 3 (better yet an 8.1 but they're few and far between) and you'll have no regrets. 

Yeah, I could hear the dealer's words/claims throughout that first post.  I don't think the OP has a defined enough idea of what he wants (no disrespect intended, at all).  He's smart to get other opinions (realizing he'll get some biased ones, though).

27 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Yeah, I could hear the dealer's words/claims throughout that first post.  I don't think the OP has a defined enough idea of what he wants (no disrespect intended, at all).  He's smart to get other opinions (realizing he'll get some biased ones, though).

Can you explain to me why I don't know what I want? I thought I did, I guess I was wrong. I was asking for guidance about some boats I wasn't familiar with. I know the 1930 inside out and upside down from using/taking care of my uncles boat from 2010 to 2015. I know that boat hit 52 mph with me and my son on a glassy early morning lake with the 5.0 alpha and stainless prop. Top speed isn't important to me as dry ride, room for family and fishing. I guess water sports is up there too as the kids love to tube. Thats why I was leaning toward the 2330. I figured 300hp and a bravo 3 was a good combination for our needs. The 2330 is absolutely immaculate inside and out. You could eat off the engine and not be scared. The powder coat on the outdrive is like the day it came out of the showroom. I know enough to compare my uncles boat that sat in the water 5 months of the year to this one and see that the drive on the 2330 has no signs of flaking like other drives I've seen on boats. The prop is perfect too. Maybe I trust too much. The seats and floor are just as nice. I do believe 91 hours is possible because for 12+ years when I had my own boat, my uncles was put on Wallenpaupack in May, run for about 4 hours on the Memorial day weekend, a couple hours on July 4th and 4 hours or so on Labor day and then taken off and winterized again. He didnt have time and I didnt need a boat until my divorce.  Now I knew the 2330 was overpriced but didnt realize it was almost twice what its supposedly worth. I also think price and "worth" are subjective. NADA puts its value at a little under 13k.  I think some on here said its not worth 10. With its condition I wouldn't be afraid to offer 15 or 16k. You guys are saying its not worth that so Im taking that into consideration. I dont mind spending a little more for the right combo. Im going to Ithaca NY this Saturday to check out a 210 with a 5.0 MPI and a second gen alpha 1 no ESP, and also a 220 with a 5.7 MPI  with a second gen alpha 1 and an ESP. I think both boats are 2001s, both around 15k with a trailer. Hours I'm unsure on..... Or maybe I'm not going... I'm sure that you all will chip in and let me know any problems with those combinations and that will possibly save me a 3 hour trip one way for nothing. 

Another question....Is Cecil Marine a good company?

220 sounds promising. 

My apologies, Hodge.

Simply put, a boat (or any other item) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  I've overpaid on occasion for something because it was exactly what I wanted, with no regrets.  With boat pricing, I like to see what one boats' price (in this case 20K) would buy in other boats.  I certainly believe in buying a used boat in excellent, not just good, condition.  Others are happy with good to fair to save money.

A word about top speed;  my boats' speedo at WOT reads 55.  My GPS reads 50.  Boat speedometers are notoriously optimistic.

y4mrYb9KQzxYvwQR6ZXA-Cvl9WNgeDvuD4j_XB79

My main gripes on the '98 are price, top speed claim (no big deal, though), and the fading.  That is only gonna get worse.  Certainly a nice boat.  And to me, the full enclosure is a great bonus.  I have it one mine.  Great in the rain, and really extends the season.  Wonderful for fall cruises.  Wonder what the boat cost new?

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

My apologies, Hodge.

Simply put, a boat (or any other item) is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  I've overpaid on occasion for something because it was exactly what I wanted, with no regrets.  With boat pricing, I like to see what one boats' price (in this case 20K) would buy in other boats.  I certainly believe in buying a used boat in excellent, not just good, condition.  Others are happy with good to fair to save money.

A word about top speed;  my boats' speedo at WOT reads 55.  My GPS reads 50.  Boat speedometers are notoriously optimistic.

y4mrYb9KQzxYvwQR6ZXA-Cvl9WNgeDvuD4j_XB79

My main gripes on the '98 are price, top speed claim (no big deal, though), and the fading.  That is only gonna get worse.  Certainly a nice boat.  And to me, the full enclosure is a great bonus.  I have it one mine.  Great in the rain, and really extends the season.  Wonderful for fall cruises.  Wonder what the boat cost new?

Dont apologize. I wasn't insulted or anything.The NADA lists it at $33,013 new and its current worth with trailer at $12,500. I definitely want going to pay 22k for it. I would offer 15 and see where it went. The dealer told me hes been trying to sell the boat for over  a year and has come down on the price from 26,000. Again I'm smart enough to know that patience is a virtue and soon the weather should break and the market will be full with used boats if I don't come to a price we can be satisfied in. Theres plenty of other options. I curious about the 210 and 220 were going to look at Saturday

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

Sounds to me like you need to find the combination of these two boats, a good sized engine, seating that the family is happy with, good condition and decent price.  I'd keep looking if it were me. 

The 2330 cannot run 55mph all day long - it will run out of gas in about 2.5 hours...

Pass on the 230. The 5.0 is marginal, at best.

brick

I think a 5.0 L in a 2002 186  (  18 1/2 ' long by 8 1/2 ' wide  X 3800 pounds full tanks & gear. )  Is NOT OVER powered   !!!  When you add 6 ... 220 pound people + anchors & toys. The weight is close to 5,000 climbing out of the water . There is NO WAY,  the me  alone prop, can even get the boat on plane.  I have owned 2 of those 5.oL 186s.

The 5.0 L is NOT too much engine.  2 DIFFERENT props are NEEDED to run empty or loaded in a 18.5'. WIDE hulled boat..................... Or you limit the number of people per trip.

I like being able to jump onto plane fast & do 40 to 45 GPS in a approaching storm  / squall. That makes 5' waves. Been there done that. VERY scary. There is no way to add HP. There is a way to decrease HP..

Almost forgot.  The 5.0L  NEEDS 4 VERY GRIPPY blades.  Low slip prop. I use a highly cupped, raked prop. With hooks on the blade tips. The engine easily can cause prop slippage to get on plane.

1 hour ago, brick said:

The 2330 cannot run 55mph all day long - it will run out of gas in about 2.5 hours...

Pass on the 230. The 5.0 is marginal, at best.

brick

:clapsmiley:

I think that after looking at a 23 footer the 210 may feel small to you. We are quite satisfied with ours, but we are empty nesters now. We do occasionally have a couple of guests on board. Once a year we take nieces and nephews out for a day of tubing, five adult size people and two kids. It's a bit crowded but not to the point to where we are stepping on one another. The 5.0 MPI is a good fit for that boat. The 220, if it's new enough, with it's L shaped bench and walkthrough to the swimplatform, probably feels more spacious. Neither will have a head if that's important to you.