Hodge71

narrowed it down to 2 boats a 2330 and a 230...Input please

My 0.02.     

Cobalt 

Chap / Bryant (better build quality, BUT dated design)

Regal / Sea Ray

Monterey

IMG_1262

On March 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM, tomnjo said:

+1. I think Cobalt is a notch up but I don't like their styling. Not a fan of Bryant's looks, either. But that's all just a taste thing. Also, those turn of the century Regals with the "arm" over the side windshield? Ugh!! What wee they thinking!!  :o

I'll agree and disagree...the nice thing about the 220's and the 230's is that they came along at the just right time.   The early to mid 2000's cobalts were just not as nice as the chaps...there's plenty on my lake and I see them up close and personal...they are a bit akward and lacking in some spots for sure in those early to mid 2000's and then they got nice.  I also think they are like porsches and have very lazy styling...they all look the same for years and years...that's lazy to me but some might think different.  

The 220's and 230's then hit the mark in that generation but so many others missed it only to hit it with their next gen.  I looked at some Sea Ray Signature models as well in that same era and they had more wood in them in certain spots than I liked and didn't care for their less sophisticated detailing in certain areas.  Two of my homes are on lakes and I spend an abnormal amount of time  around boats and see all of the lake boats up close and personal.  I just go for the most for the least.  

We take no prisoners on our lake !!  :D   

I agree that Cobalt was THE BOAT long ago. Then they stagnated & lost some quality. I have not looked at them for decades.  I remember that they were always twice the price of normal boat brands.  Grandpa controlled all design changes. Forever. 

The only Cobalts I liked as far as styling goes, were the 1990s MYs. I do like the low swim platform on the early 2000 models but that's it. Hate that square windshield they use on some models. Chap uses a similar funky windshield on some models, too. 

Jeb and I had a very busy day today. We looked at the Rinker.....lets just say it aint no Chaparral. Even for the money I couldn't justify it. Too many issues that the pictures didn't show. So we then proceeded to drive 4 hours to look and a 2001 SeaRay 210 the was absolutely immaculate, only 221 hours on the 5.0 EFI. The story to go with it was heartbreaking though. Guys son bought it in Texas while he was there in the Marine corp. Brought it home in the summer of 2016. They used it twice last year and then a lady turned  in front of him while he was riding his motorcycled and killed him. 19 year old Marine killed on the home turf instead of across the sea. Dad doesn't want the boat. Cried a lot as he talked about it and the few times his boy enjoyed it. Saw it was tough on him to bury his son so young. He wants $16,400. Told him I'd think about it and get back to him. NADA has it listed right around his price for good condition and this boat is much better than good. Trying to post pics and of course it wont allow me 

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

I like it in the picture shown.  If the engine & drive are as good ?   Wet test ?   Buy it.

No idea of a fair price on it.  NADA prices favor a marina / dealer buying / selling a boat / car.

I like it, looks like a peach.

FWIW, when I rank boat manufacturers, it's by build quality not styling. 

Again, that Sea Ray looks nice. 

9 hours ago, tomnjo said:

The only Cobalts I liked as far as styling goes, were the 1990s MYs. I do like the low swim platform on the early 2000 models but that's it. Hate that square windshield they use on some models. Chap uses a similar funky windshield on some models, too. 

+1

brick

14 hours ago, Futzin' said:

FWIW, when I rank boat manufacturers, it's by build quality not styling. 

And color coordination.   :P

2 hours ago, tomnjo said:

And color coordination.   :P

You're #1, going away . . . 

On 3/13/2018 at 7:20 PM, tomnjo said:

No way. My short list included the colors of red and yellow ONLY!  :D  Anything but black...:P  (Let's see how long this takes.  :rolleyes:)

Well I just had a yellow Chappy 220 thrown into the mix. Maybe the blue Sea Ray won’t be coming home after all. 

Ruh roh. Brick? Brick??

I sure hope brick shows up soon. I’m getting hungry watching futzin eat popcorn. 

2 hours ago, Hodge71 said:

Well I just had a yellow Chappy 220 thrown into the mix. Maybe the blue Sea Ray won’t be coming home after all. 

If the 220 SSi is in decent shape, the 210 Sea Ray won't even be close for ride and ergonomics. When you go to look at the 220 SSi, take careful attention to knee position on the driver and passenger helms. SR are brutal, and I don't think you'll like the convertible top vs. Chaparral's proper bimini.

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

OR...something like this

Related image

Image result for chaparral 220 ssi cockpit

Anybody seen my boat? It’s yellow...

brick

The  23' Cobalt has a cheesy windshield.  Grandpa still controls style.  And overcharging.

I’m sure everyone has been waiting with baited breath.... here’s option two. A 2001 Chappy 220 Ssi.... aaaaannnd I can’t post pictures. It’s telling me smaller than 6/10 of a MB. Ugh this is a tough place to show off. Lol

34 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

I’m sure everyone has been waiting with baited breath.... here’s option two. A 2001 Chappy 220 Ssi.... aaaaannnd I can’t post pictures. It’s telling me smaller than 6/10 of a MB. Ugh this is a tough place to show off. Lol

That is the single reason this site is almost dead.  No picture allowance worth anything!

Hodge, you can link an add. Also, did you post something on the Chap owner FB page?

8 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Hodge, you can link an add. Also, did you post something on the Chap owner FB page?

This site is brutal. Wont let me post pics and I have no links for pics. I'm not a photobucket or googlecloud guy....I may have posted a picture or 4 on FB...lol