Hodge71

narrowed it down to 2 boats a 2330 and a 230...Input please

I have a very good friend who has an 03 CL 230BR . Bought it new in 03, still has it with over 1200 hours. has been a very good boat for them. Another friend bought one new in 05, still has it. Both have 350 MAG/Bravo 3s. They do feel and ride like a much bigger boat, sit very high off of the water.

33 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

How do we feel about a 2001 Crownline 230BR 350 mag and Bravo 3? It needs a buffing but all in all its really nice and I can't believe the depth. Tons of freeboard 

Is the 350 MPI or TPI?  

13 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Is the 350 MPI or TPI?  

Told me 300 horse 350 mag. I forgot to open the hatch. I did get to see all the maintenance records since new as well. It was bought at and maintained by the same marina since new. Just had new bellows and gimble bearing done last fall along with trim senders too

8 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

Told me 300 horse 350 mag. I forgot to open the hatch. I did get to see all the maintenance records since new as well. It was bought at and maintained by the same marina since new. Just had new bellows and gimble bearing done last fall along with trim senders too

Would be an early production small block MPI then capable of smart craft.  That's good assuming he is not being a flake.  My floor for these boats among other things is the MPI system differentiated by it being the more modern smartcraft capable version meaning the 2002 model year small block Mercruisers.  I've noticed for reasons unknown that I've seen more 2001 Crownlines with the 2002 updated engine than other boats.  Simultaneously, i've seen more early 2002 and later smaller Crownlines with MPI versus Carbs when MPI on the smaller boats were taking longer to come on board.  That is to say, more 18 and 19 foot crownlines with 4.3 MPI versus say 18/19 foot chaps that had a 4.3 carb.  While I like crownlines for some of their features but not others, generally I consider them more of a 'sport' look and the Chaps more of a 'luxury' look.  

3 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

Hours? That was their first year of the 230BR and I believe it was their first model with a standard fiberglass floor. I actually know four people in all that own them, all are 03 to 05 models. Two are very close to me. I see them all at least once a year. All boats have held up well. Does it have the ESP?

8 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Hours? That was their first year of the 230BR and I believe it was their first model with a standard fiberglass floor. I actually know four people in all that own them, all are 03 to 05 models. Two are very close to me. I see them all at least once a year. All boats have held up well. Does it have the ESP?

No ESP but I would be adding it if we got the boat .... now that you guys convinced me you cant have a boat without one....lol....hours...400 or a little more

Is it the green one in Tafton?

14 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

No ESP but I would be adding it if we got the boat .... now that you guys convinced me you cant have a boat without one....lol....hours...400 or a little more

You really need an ESP with that model and a Bravo 3. The transom is straight down and the drive sticks waaay out.

Since we are spending your money, I'll concur on the bravo 3.  I have the unusual Bravo 1 on my 220 which was an option.  It's a bravo with all of the bravo technology superiority over an alpha and maybe a bit more top end than a B3 but I'd take low speed handling all day over the top speed gains.  

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Generally, speaking, I despise even the slightest hint of yellow on a boat, 

:(

brick

2 minutes ago, brick said:

:(

brick

I know....just personal preference..I had a tiny hint of on on my previous chap....even that was too much.  Just don't like the color.  

37 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Is it the green one in Tafton?

Youre getting creepy Tom...lol...You have aerial photos of my house yet? ...lol... Yes its the one in Tafton. I was on it Saturday

Ha! Google search....off work today. Not too many for sale on BT and only one 2001 that just happened to be in your area. What's with that trailer, though? No fenders, bare wood bunks. Looks questionable.

32 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Ha! Google search....off work today. Not too many for sale on BT and only one 2001 that just happened to be in your area. What's with that trailer, though? No fenders, bare wood bunks. Looks questionable.

It will have a brand new 2018 Load-right galvanized tandem bunk trailer with disc brakes on both axles...not for $15,900 though. They're also going to buff the boat from top to bottom and clean and detail the interior and seats..... if we decide that we would want it.  I may want the factory graphics put back on too....Not sure yet

Doesn't sound bad. Looks like it had diamond graphics? I wouldn't dwell on those.

I've not seen pics of this boat but,

please don't buy a neglected boat (of any brand).

Increase your odds of getting a good boat by buying one that has been excellently maintained (and even these can burn you).

Just general advice . . . 

My rule of thumb is the used boat needs to be perfect inside with no hint of wear and tear. None...no exceptions, one hole or bit of upholstery damage is a non starter.  Sounds unrealistic and it would be if it were a car.  Made possible by a boat that uses better materials as well as our 90 day-at most boating season combined with our northern most sun which is weak. You can have a 20 year old boat that got well maintained and maybe 10 hours of use each year...an odd side effect of having over 11,000 lakes and everybody owns a boat.  I can take a very small amount of dock rash but it has to be limited to one or two small marks and that is a stretch but hard to find perfection all around and rash is a drop off at the glass shop and pick up next week.  The downside is our boats are expensive compared to other regions so sure you get a nice boat but you paid the same as a five year newer boat in some other state that is by its age already less used up.  

15 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

My rule of thumb is the used boat needs to be perfect inside with no hint of wear and tear. None...no exceptions, one hole or bit of upholstery damage is a non starter.  Sounds unrealistic and it would be if it were a car.  Made possible by a boat that uses better materials as well as our 90 day-at most boating season combined with our northern most sun which is weak. You can have a 20 year old boat that got well maintained and maybe 10 hours of use each year...an odd side effect of having over 11,000 lakes and everybody owns a boat.  I can take a very small amount of dock rash but it has to be limited to one or two small marks and that is a stretch but hard to find perfection all around and rash is a drop off at the glass shop and pick up next week.  The downside is our boats are expensive compared to other regions so sure you get a nice boat but you paid the same as a five year newer boat in some other state that is by its age already less used up.  

I have lived in NY and Michigan with the same kind of boating and same season, I wouldn't say Minnesota is all that unique.  But you are right there are more boats down south for cheaper more times than not.  But I think I read once where Michigan actually had as many if not more registered boats than florids. 

Used boats are used boats.  Finding absolutely pristine boats can be very hard to impossible, and you are right find one you will pay for it.  Now finding a boat with a few flaws but otherwise in great shape can be fairly easy, but not as easy as finding garbage.

I bought a 15 year old crown a few years ago just about mint with 45 hours on it.  only thing that was broke was the drive hydraulics reservoir holder was rusted out.  Kind of funny that it was because there was no sign of water anywhere, nothing, specially where it was located.  I chalked it up to regular moisture found in a boat, and the part was probably faulty of sorts.  Either way 50 dollar part and 5 min fix, so not sure I buy the zero defect mentality.

+1. My Chap had issues. It was 9 years old when I bought it. The red gelcoat on the starboard side and transom was faded. The PO kept it under a carport and the sun was more prevalent in those areas. The second time I looked at it I brought some rubbing compound and with the owners permission I tried it out. It made an immediate difference although I knew it would need more time. Also, the drivers bucket seat had a small cut in the vinyl from the ski locker door closing on it because it wasn't straight. Learned then that if the buckets are angled on their base the ski locker door will catch them. One last thing was that the cavitation plate on the outdrive had a couple of chunks missing. I knew the PO used the boat on the river and my old CL actually had a larger chunk missing. It's a pretty normal occurrence on the river, the prop churns up longs and they will knock off chunks of the cavitation plate. The outdrive on my old boat was healthy and still is to this day as is the one on my Chap. They are both just a bit lighter. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:13 AM, soldier4402 said:

I have lived in NY and Michigan with the same kind of boating and same season, I wouldn't say Minnesota is all that unique.  But you are right there are more boats down south for cheaper more times than not.  But I think I read once where Michigan actually had as many if not more registered boats than florids. 

Used boats are used boats.  Finding absolutely pristine boats can be very hard to impossible, and you are right find one you will pay for it.  Now finding a boat with a few flaws but otherwise in great shape can be fairly easy, but not as easy as finding garbage.

I bought a 15 year old crown a few years ago just about mint with 45 hours on it.  only thing that was broke was the drive hydraulics reservoir holder was rusted out.  Kind of funny that it was because there was no sign of water anywhere, nothing, specially where it was located.  I chalked it up to regular moisture found in a boat, and the part was probably faulty of sorts.  Either way 50 dollar part and 5 min fix, so not sure I buy the zero defect mentality.

Ha Ha...we consider northern NY to be southerners.  Keep in mind while MN has a lot of lakes, they are mostly in the top half of the state or so.  Even the difference between southern MN and northern MN can be huge for boatable weather. Just the ice out date between southern MN's lakes and Northern MN lakes can be the better part of a month.   The difference I suppose too is that most boats here are trailer boats and very few with any sort of cabin. 

I can take a flaw or two on the fiberglass, but I know how much even a simple piece of upholetery can cost to reupholster and how long it takes to actually get it done.  For us, its mostly about time.  I don't have any time to mess around with repairs or trailer the boat anywhere to get anything done.  I want to take whatever boat it is up to my lake house, get it on the lift and call it a day.  If there are to be any repairs I want them to only be what the local marina can accomplish by coming to my house and fixing it on the lift. I needed something done on my Chap two years ago in April and the local city marina was booked to the end of August.  It is absolutely crazy how insanely popular boating is here.  

I get it we live on the candian border.  Boating was much bigger in Michigan then it is NY.  But either you get 90 days up here that's all there is really.  Might be able to eek a week or two each way.  But got to do what you got to do.

2 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I get it we live on the candian border.  Boating was much bigger in Michigan then it is NY.  But either you get 90 days up here that's all there is really.  Might be able to eek a week or two each way.  But got to do what you got to do.

If for no other reason, the kids are only out of school for 90ish days.  Pretty much ends the boating season for us the day school starts.  Maybe we head up to the lake one or two more weekends to close things up and get the boats and outdoor furniture, etc put away but I think it was like 45 degrees the day I drove the boat to the access and put it away for the year and it was maybe late September.  Regardless, it all adds up to lots of people buy boats and don't get to use them for lots of reasons.