Hodge71

narrowed it down to 2 boats a 2330 and a 230...Input please

Well we narrowed it down to 2 boats at a local marina. A 1998 233SS Limited and a 2005 230SSi. Now I need the input from the pros on here. The 2330 is a 1998. It has 91 hours on it and its a 350 mag with a Bravo 3 and a tandem axle galvanized trailer for 22,000 but the guy is motivated to sell it. Dealer thinks 20K is within the guys wheelhouse. They have all the receipts since new and have performed every bit of maintenance and service since it showed up from Chappy. Pics show it to be very nice. Its never in the water overnight, lives in his heated garage all winter long and on a rack out of the water all summer long. Its a 55+mph boat all day long and practically jumps out of the water on plane with the Bravo 3. Its bright red and white with a very little fading on the stern gelcoat, comes with bow and cockpit cover and the entire set of "camper enclosure" isinglass that is unused. I'm not sure what camper enclosure means but I'm guessing it means its an actual enclosure for the whole cockpit area so you can sleep on the boat?

The 230 is a 2005 and has 315 hours on the 5.0. MPI. Dealer wouldn't say its a dawg but said it tops out in the low 40s in the best of conditions and takes a little to get up on plane. Might benefit from a prop change. Needs a trailer which he quoted at $3550 for a dual axle with brakes on both axles (a PA requirement now) plus the boats $23,495 sticker price. It only has the bow and cockpit cover but we like the porta potty and wraparound lounge seating of the 230.

So were having a problem deciding. I'm leaning toward the 2330 because of the low hours, Bravo 3 and 350 mag.The girlfriend and our kids are leaning toward the 230 because of the seating and portable head.

I cant post pics but I will try again in a later reply and see what happens so you can compare

91 hours on a 20 year old boat, thats 4.5 hours per year, seems very low.  but the price seems VERY high.  check NADAGUIDES.com and boattrader.com, to get a feel for the values.   I would not offer 20k, or even 15k. A marine survey will help determine the value.

Price is too high for the 2330.  I'd be willing to only pay between 8 and 12k depending on condition.  But I guarantee it is not. 55mph boat, more like 50.

I'd go for the '98, but not at that price. The '05 doesn't look well cared for.

Can't disagree at all with these guys so far.  Have you driven these boats, or are you taking the dealer's word on performance?

7 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Can't disagree at all with these guys so far.  Have you driven these boats, or are you taking the dealer's word on performance?

Taking their word on it currently. Ice everywhere up here still. I guess maybe I still have to figure different options. So much for narrowing it down

there are some 2330 ss top speed theads on this forum.  do a search.  one guy had a  350 mag B3, said he got 45-46.  they also said it depended on  the B3 gear ratio and 3 different ratios were used.  find out your gear ratio, if you can

If you like the 2330, and it's in good condition, then offer him your price.  He will never get 20k for it, unless he finds a sucker!

Either one with an ESP? 

Hard to tell by photos of overall condition but both seem overpriced, especially the 2330. 

Id keep shopping 

Whats ESP?

13 minutes ago, osteodoc08 said:

Either one with an ESP? 

Hard to tell by photos of overall condition but both seem overpriced, especially the 2330. 

Id keep shopping 

1 minute ago, Futzin' said:

extended swim platform

Ahhhh I shoulda known that I guess. I thought maybe it was some sort of shifting program due to the MPI... I'm a dummy!

Not at all.  Those of us on the forum tend to use the same terms and shorthand after a while.

Many more boats should hit the market over the next month or two . . . 

Can't add much more. 230 with a 5.0 is underpowered and overworked. 23K with no trailer? No way.

2330 with hours that low? Hopefully on an engine replacement. If it's the original engine that's not alot of use, too little IMO.

It's only March 13th, you're still iced up, these boats aren't going anywhere. Be patient....

You mentioned having kids, do yourself a favor and find a boat with a  swim platform. You will be glad you did.

Don't be that guy . . . 

A guy I work with just bought a 21' Tahoe with a 4.3l against my advice.  He and his wife were chomping at the bit.  Not good for a buyer.  Keep on using us as a sounding board, but realize you won't get approval from all of us on any given boat.  But there is a boat-load of experience on this forum, and with these boats.  The 230, for instance, is a great model but underpowered with a 5.0.

Be patient and happy hunting!

I believe they are the same hull. Sounds to over priced on the 2330. I can also tell you the 2330 with that setup to hit 55 is about impossible. My 230 with a 496 tops out at 56.5. I would expect to see high 40's if your tuneup is spot on and the props are perfect and just you with less than half a tank of gas. See where I'm goin.

You can check with Cecil marine also. I think they still may have a swim platform in stock. Discount!

The ESP poses its own problem as my son and I love fishing. I had a set up I made out of stainless tubing, some eye bolts I covered with rubber hose and a chunk of mahogany that clamped to the top and bottom grab handles on my boats at the ladder that allowed me to put my trolling motor back there and put a deep cycle marine battery under the rear seat with the cranking battery. It worked awesome and allowed us to fish every morning and swim in the afternoons with no stress. I can't afford the new or even used 210 or 190 SF . Its not important for me to have the ESP. Not saying I wouldn't buy a boat with one but its not my first choice. I'd sooner get a standard swim platform and cover it with Seadek to dress it up and provide more safety. Soon you guys are going to tell me I'm too picky and I'm never going to find a boat that will meet most of my needs...lol

59 minutes ago, Futzin' said:

Don't be that guy . . . 

A guy I work with just bought a 21' Tahoe with a 4.3l against my advice.  He and his wife were chomping at the bit.  Not good for a buyer.  Keep on using us as a sounding board, but realize you won't get approval from all of us on any given boat.  But there is a boat-load of experience on this forum, and with these boats.  The 230, for instance, is a great model but underpowered with a 5.0.

Be patient and happy hunting!

I'll be patient and keep bouncing stuff off you guys....THANK YOU!

17 minutes ago, Hodge71 said:

Soon you guys are going to tell me I'm too picky and I'm never going to find a boat that will meet most of my needs...lol

No way. My short list included the colors of red and yellow ONLY!  :D  Anything but black...:P  (Let's see how long this takes.  :rolleyes:)