Billp

Running engine out of water

Hi guys .... Another newbie question . When warming up my engine prior to my oil change and drive oil change, should I use muffs or the flush (blue cap) line. Or does it matter ? I do have a set of muffs.

Thanks

Bill

If you have the Volvo blue flush port, use it. It gives the engine a much more positive supply of water than the muffs do.

Is there a difference between the risks of running the engine on earmuffs filling everything with water ?  Compared to where that Blue Flushing port is connected ? 

I think of flushing being done as a NO RUNNING of the engine condition.

If its a Volvo blue port like mine, it supplies the hose cooling water directly into the seawater pump. It is not dependent on a good muff connection and pulling the water out of the drive.

1 hour ago, Chap243 said:

If its a Volvo blue port like mine, it supplies the hose cooling water directly into the seawater pump. It is not dependent on a good muff connection and pulling the water out of the drive.

Yep! and I would use it.

Hatem on 4/ 13 / 2016 reported on a similar topic.

His 2010 ..8.1 engine has a warning . Do not exceed 17 PSI. at the connection port.

Not all connections go directly to the lower unit water pump.  His mechanic warns about being sure your connection GOES to the lower unit water pump first to prevent damage.

Here is what the Seloc Manual says

A word of caution on flush tubes.

The Seloc manual says it this way...."The factory is a bit fuzzy here, but the best that we can establish is that if your flush tube has a BRASS or GREEN cap DO NOT START the engine. If you have one of the tubes that utilizes a BLUE cap, then it is OK to run the engine while flushing. If the cap has a "running engine flush" symbol - a picture of the engine with an arrow moving in a circular motion - then you know to start the engine."

I have a 2002 Volvo and the flush hose goes directly to the block so therefore it's not good for flushing with the engine running.

Am I not understanding??  I just bought an 04 Volvo 5.0GXI, not to hijack this thread but from reading the responses I'm totally confused about what the hose connection on the engine is for?  Wouldn't running the engine connected to this hose connection on the engine matter only dependent on what drive you have?  Since the freshwater pump is on the motor, not on the outdrive, wouldn't connecting to the motor flush be fine for running?  I'm not familiar with the merc outdrives, but I think i heard that the water pumps are located on the drive and running it through the flush would in turn run that water pump dry?  I'm probably mis-understanding so someone please clarify what that engine flush is for?

IMG_3791 mod.jpg

Volvo has two types of flush ports. I`ve had them both. My `02 243 had a flush port on the stern that only supplied water to the block and manifolds. This did not supply water to the pump, so if you ran your engine, you would smoke the pump as there would be no water passing through it. Later, around `06  Volvo adapted the "blue" flush port, like is pictured above that injects water into the intake hose, going into the pump to cool it. With this type, you can run the engine.

19 hours ago, Chap243 said:

Volvo has two types of flush ports. I`ve had them both. My `02 243 had a flush port on the stern that only supplied water to the block and manifolds. This did not supply water to the pump, so if you ran your engine, you would smoke the pump as there would be no water passing through it. Later, around `06  Volvo adapted the "blue" flush port, like is pictured above that injects water into the intake hose, going into the pump to cool it. With this type, you can run the engine.

Interesting.... So mine is an 04 and should have the flush port where you shouldn't run the engine but i've just learned that my new to me 04 has  remanned block from Michigan Motorz installed sometime in 2016 so assuming that blue port would've come with the new block? and be the one that injects water into the intake hose?  Guess I can always look to see where its connected to verify.

Thx and again sorry to hijack...

I vote for any quick hijacking that saves a damage or injury.   

Older used boats always have the danger of a rebuilt motor with any not correct parts being used.  Fact of life. I always use clamp on hose & watch it at a faster idle.  Or do the oil change in the water at a dock. With age.  I find in the water safer for the engine. & people & pets near a sharp prop blade.

1 hour ago, Further said:

Interesting.... So mine is an 04 and should have the flush port where you shouldn't run the engine but i've just learned that my new to me 04 has  remanned block from Michigan Motorz installed sometime in 2016 so assuming that blue port would've come with the new block? and be the one that injects water into the intake hose?  Guess I can always look to see where its connected to verify.

Thx and again sorry to hijack...

If you have the blue port behind the fuel cell you should be good.