Sign in to follow this  
Stretch79

Paddle on board?

Do you keep a paddle on board your boat?  I have a hard time believing a paddle will do any good in a 21' + 3,000lb boat if the motor were to quit.  Just curious what others think.

And while on subject of stuff to keep on boat, outside of first aid kit, pfd's, throw cushion, whistle, fire extuingisher what are some other essential items to leave on the boat at all times?  I keep a change of clothes and towels in a dry bag since I use my boat for fishing year round. 

The last time I had a paddle on a boat that I owned was a 16' fishing boat. I think a boat hook pole would be of better use. 

I keep a small tool kit so that if something breaks I can fix it.

I hear you about the paddle. I think it's required, so yes, I have one. At the very least it can be used to push off of things or as a rudder. Jump pack is a good suggestion, I also have one of those, even with two batteries on my boat. Alot of people also carry a spare serpentine belt and an extra IAC if their engine has one. (I don't have these but I think the belt is a good idea) I do carry fuses; fluids (oil, outdrive gear lube, trim fluid, etc); a tool box; a bin with spare screws, light bulbs, electrical tape, duct tape, wire, zip ties, etc; some of those plastic carpenter wood clamps which are good for hanging wet clothes or towels up from the bimini; a spare prop; an air horn (louder than a whistle); bag chairs; beach umbrella; BBQ grill; the list goes on. People are surprised how much stuff I fit in my 210.

I kept a paddle on my 20' boat.  I used it once to get to shore on an inland lake.  It worked just fine but I wasn't going to win any races.  I sold the boat and paddle after that day.  That's when I got my 260 and no more paddle.

If you are on a federally governed body of water like Lake Michigan it is mandatory to have two types of signaling devices.  You can use the boat horn and a portable horn.  I use marine flares (don't get road flares) and a rechargeable spot light.

4 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I hear you about the paddle. I think it's required, so yes, I have one. At the very least it can be used to push off of things or as a rudder. Jump pack is a good suggestion, I also have one of those, even with two batteries on my boat. Alot of people also carry a spare serpentine belt and an extra IAC if their engine has one. (I don't have these but I think the belt is a good idea) I do carry fuses; fluids (oil, outdrive gear lube, trim fluid, etc); a tool box; a bin with spare screws, light bulbs, electrical tape, duct tape, wire, zip ties, etc; some of those plastic carpenter wood clamps which are good for hanging wet clothes or towels up from the bimini; a spare prop; an air horn (louder than a whistle); bag chairs; beach umbrella; BBQ grill; the list goes on. People are surprised how much stuff I fit in my 210.

A having a paddle.  In Mass, you only need one on anything that is 16 feet or less. Thats what Sea Tow is for, to replace the paddle.

Canada It was a legal MUST many years ago.  

USA ? No idea. never stopped & inspected by USCG or H L S

I tried it on my 186 .   With wind & current ? Fantastic !! Hopeless into both on the St. Lawrence........ Drop anchor & radio or scream for help.

I carry a swim mask and fins with me. It’s good for cleaning the drive and hull while anchored, plus you never know when you might need to make a long swim to shore or dive for something dropped overboard( granted in shallower water).

A paddle on my boat would be about worthless because of the high gunwales. It would have to be a very long paddle.

On my 21 foot Sea Ray cuddy I have used skis as paddles. Now with my 235 SSI, I carry a kayak paddle that comes apart because it is longer than the skis. I've paddled both of them when necessary.

8 hours ago, Stretch79 said:

Do you keep a paddle on board your boat?  I have a hard time believing a paddle will do any good in a 21' + 3,000lb boat if the motor were to quit.  Just curious what others think.

And while on subject of stuff to keep on boat, outside of first aid kit, pfd's, throw cushion, whistle, fire extuingisher what are some other essential items to leave on the boat at all times?  I keep a change of clothes and towels in a dry bag since I use my boat for fishing year round. 

Yes, I keep 2 collapsable paddles in my 20 ft 200 ssi. They have saved my butt on a few occasions. Once when the engine quit near a gas dock in a busy marina, and another time when the engine quit and I had to paddle about 50 ft in order to prevent getting bashed up on a shoal.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Canada It was a legal MUST many years ago.  

USA ? No idea. never stopped & inspected by USCG or H L S

I tried it on my 186 .   With wind & current ? Fantastic !! Hopeless into both on the St. Lawrence........ Drop anchor & radio or scream for help.

The very shoal I paddled away from was on the St. Lawrence near Clayton.  : )

I have a paddle but its really worthless except for pushing objects away from the boat or preventing a bump.

Years ago, I was tied up along the grain elevators waiting for a ship to come in and offload its grain. I was waiting for awhile and did see the ship. But due to the lift bridge failure, it tied up. I waitied some more then decided to head home. I started the engine and put it in gear. Oh dear.....massive grinding. I pull it out of gear. Tried Reverse. No good either. Tried forward again and severe grinding. At this point, I've drifted away from the wall. I shut down the engine and drag out the paddle and try to get back to the wall. 

Fortunately the current is very slow but it determined where I went. Not the paddle. All I could do was cause the boat to pivot around the center of gravity. The current did the rest.

I have often thought of putting 2 oars on the boat like a rowing boat and "paddle" it that way. 

I would need 20' long oars to reach into the water.

Wife would have a whip & calling STROKE  STROKE.

I carry one. Even with this 6000lb boat it works. Either sitting on the bow or the stern.

Its will work in a pinch.

In my experience (lake boating); in the event of a break-down, you break out a paddle and a water ski-used-as-a-paddle, a Good Samaritan will be by in short order to offer a tow.  Way better than asking someone on the fly who may not want to do it, or charge for it.