Dozer

Trailer measurement needed

13 posts in this topic

New here, this is my second post

Just purchased the boat today - finalize paperwork next week.

Need to get a trailer for it. Looking at a used one which is 2 hrs away, and the owner just asked me what is the length on the boat from the eye hook on the bow where you hook the winch strap/safety chain to the back corner (not the swim platform) -- measured in a straight line not using the contour of the boat.

The problem is until I finalize the paperwork (mainly the check to clear) the boat is in indoor storage and I can't access it. I was supposed to go pick up this trailer tomorrow if the measurements workout.

Anyone either has done this before, or happen to have their boat near by on the driveway... that could give me those measurements ...oh ya, it's a 2006 Signature 290

Or maybe there's a web link with such information ^_^

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ah.. Call Chap and ask for the specs or call the trailer mfg and give them the info on the trailer and your boat. 

I do not know if there are any difference in hull from 2005 to 2006, but this post:

Has links to the specs you are looking for up through 2005.

Would be nice if someone could post 2006-present sometime, if possible!

Thank you all for the responses 

The PDF links helped

Now lets hope i can get this trailer

Take care

Chap shows 30.8 ft. or 9.35 m.  LOA

YOU CAN PROBABLY SUBTRACT 1.5 TO 2.0 FT AND BE VERY CLOSE TO THE ACTUAL LENGTH WITHOUT THE PLATFORM.  DENNY

I measured my Sig 290 2004 I it was 24 ft from transom to bow-eye, if it can help.

When i bought my trailer, i looked at the load capacity of the trailer first, before looking at what length it would hole.

Also, i found really good pricing on new boat trailers in florida.  many boat trailer manufactures are in florida.  when the trailer was being sold by a dealer up here in the northeast, it was 15% more.   Not many decent used trailers were for sale around me, the ones that were....you wouldnt want to put your boat on it.

Thank you all for the replies

So I tried to save a few thousand deer and pick up a decent used trailer. After much searching, I found one about 2hrs away rated for 18k#.

The guy told me he had just got it on some kind of deal, and the trailer was in "GOOD" shape, the only thing he did was replace two wheels/tires, and all else was in great shape.

Met him near his house, started looking at it, at first glance it looked really nice. Took a look at the brakes, only had one set on the front axle, closer inspection there were no brake pads, the rotors were trash...and this axle is the one the guy replaced the wheels/tires.. WTF, my BS meter started jumping. Then I notice that the axles are painted black, he says it was something the previous owner did.  "Some sort of ship paint"...it looked and felt very fresh, and the paint was only on top and sides..he didn't even bother to paint the under side of the axles, which showed a bit of rust.

The he proceeds to explain that he added some new hardware to the front bunks, when in previous conversation he said the only thing he did was install new wheels. When asked if the brake mechanism  in the tongue worked, he assured me it did. So I mentioned, how did he know it worked if the calipers didn't have any pads... got the "Deer in the headlights" look

So I just drove back 2 hrs without the trailer and called the trailer shop here in town and paid the deposit down for a brand new 15K# tri axle with brakes on ALL axles.
The only thing is now I have to wait 3 weeks, hopefully one of the guys at the marina that has a trailer and keeps their boat on the wet slip can let me borrow or rent theirs.

Good thing with a brand new trailer, is piece of mind, plus if anything needs adjusting on the trailer the local shop will take care of it.   I should have done that right from the beginning and avoided all this crap. So between the Craigslist scammers and then liars like this guy trying to sell me a crap trailer, I have had enough wheeling and dealing for a while.

Again, thank you all for the input...I'm sure as I get started with this new boat [to me] I'll be asking for more advise

I feel your pain!

I had to get a new trailer as a result of someone running in to mine and damaging it beyond repair.  Since my boat is in the marina year round, I was not in a hurry so decided to look for a used one.  Took a year to find one that was actually in great shape and would work for my 264.

And since I am not in a trailer rich environment, Las Vegas, I had to look to LA/San Diego area a lot.  Hard to find a used trailer in great condition, especially when all of them are used in salt water it seemed.

And driving 4 hours to look at junk did not work well.

I finally found one, after many, many attempts looking on craigslist and eBay.  I kept it simple, as a few questions (Make, Model number, year, picture of manufactures plate, picture of wheels and tires and breaks, picture of actuator/hitch, more pictures lol!  If I did not get an answer back or did not get one with what i asked to see, I just moved on and did not try again.

Finally found one, used only a couple of times, aluminum in great condition.  But it took a long time and unless you have a lot of time to look and wait for a good one to come up, best to just have one built as you already found out.

After i bought my brand new Venture trailer, i realized the brakes weren't that great.  then the following year no trailer brakes.  Called the manufacturer and they said they had some problems with the solenoids.  they sent me a new one, and now the brakes work.   

43 minutes ago, rreale said:

After i bought my brand new Venture trailer, i realized the brakes weren't that great.  then the following year no trailer brakes.  Called the manufacturer and they said they had some problems with the solenoids.  they sent me a new one, and now the brakes work.   

I'm fortunate that the trailer manufacturer is right here in town, only a few miles from the house. So any issues they will take care of it.

Now I just have to wait 3 weeks as they build it -- trying to figure out if I would be ok to leave the boat in a wet slip for that long. I guess I'll start a new topic on this