Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrokeLoser

Pulling new cable for stereo remotes...need help

16 posts in this topic

Before I order some new Fusion remotes I wanted to make sure I can pull the new cables without too much trouble. 

Are the original JBL cables zip tied and or routed in such a way that taping them to a ‘pull cable’ and pulling them through is unlikely or super difficult?

No, more than likely they are to tight. When I've run new stuff on mine I just ran it along with the others.

2 hours ago, Toddler said:

No, more than likely they are to tight. When I've run new stuff on mine I just ran it along with the others.

Were you able to use a fish tape to pull and route the new cables?

3 hours ago, BrokeLoser said:

I just fished it all by hand with a little help from my 16 year old daughter, to get into some of the compartments. Most of the wiring is hung up under the gunwale pretty accessible.

2 hours ago, Toddler said:

I just fished it all by hand with a little help from my 16 year old daughter, to get into some of the compartments. Most of the wiring is hung up under the gunwale pretty accessible.

Perfect!

I’m bringing the boat home tomorrow so I’ll get a chance to look everything over and get started. Thanks for the help.

Pull it by hand or use a fish where needed (short runs).  Then just zip-tie the new cable to the old cable(s).  You'll spend more time with the zip ties than pulling the cables; sure wish someone would invent a pair of clippers that would eliminate the sharp edges of cut zip ties (you have bandaids on the boat, correct?).

4 hours ago, e-Xtreme said:

Pull it by hand or use a fish where needed (short runs).  Then just zip-tie the new cable to the old cable(s).  You'll spend more time with the zip ties than pulling the cables; sure wish someone would invent a pair of clippers that would eliminate the sharp edges of cut zip ties (you have bandaids on the boat, correct?).

They did. Anything fro 5 bux to 100 bux. This link has a ton of them. The pic is one example.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cable+tie+tools&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc_6HFi_jZAhUDmVkKHeuKAdQQsAQIYA&biw=1627&bih=859#imgrc=_&spf=1521452321883

Gardner-Bender-Cable-Tie-Tensioning-Tool.jpg

11 hours ago, BrokeLoser said:

Yup! You may be better off leaving the old wires and just fishing the new wires. Remember too, your using a Fusion head unit, so you just need one wire to the head unit, than remote to remote. Your daisy chaining them. 

ive done three boats and all have relatively easy.  I haven't necessarily been concerned with following the old routing, or if I cant get the old stuff out I have just tied it off and left it.  Typically I followed existing wiring and just fished it through, by hand, small piece of wood, pipe, wire, etc.  Shouldn't really be that hard.  Think when I ran wiring for my 265ssi, I ran all the wiring in less than hour.

Thanks again for the help fellas. I’ve almost got all my new audio equipment ordered up. I’ll report back on the install later.

I only cut the Tyraps that can be seen.  Then wrap a very short piece of black tape, about 3 times over the sharp ends. I always leave the cut ends facing me.

Some models of the Fusion system are NMEA 2000 compatible.  If so, and if you have a N2K system already in place, I believe you can simply connect each remote to your backbone which may (depending on your backbone routing) eliminate the need to fish wires all the way to the head unit.  Might be a good excuse to run the N2K system if you don't already have it.  I recently ran one and it's got me thinking about changing my head unit and remotes from Clarion to Fusion.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:12 AM, Iggy said:

Yup! You may be better off leaving the old wires and just fishing the new wires. Remember too, your using a Fusion head unit, so you just need one wire to the head unit, than remote to remote. Your daisy chaining them. 

True...but with one remote at the bow, the head unit midship and a remote at the stern, I’ll want to “Y” at the head unit...right?

On 3/21/2018 at 1:54 PM, takeahiketour said:

I used a tent pole in place of the wire snake thing to get mine through in the past, worked great.

Great idea...that should work perfectly

On 3/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Some models of the Fusion system are NMEA 2000 compatible.  If so, and if you have a N2K system already in place, I believe you can simply connect each remote to your backbone which may (depending on your backbone routing) eliminate the need to fish wires all the way to the head unit.  Might be a good excuse to run the N2K system if you don't already have it.  I recently ran one and it's got me thinking about changing my head unit and remotes from Clarion to Fusion.

Yes, the N2K system is awesome...I have many components connected via N2K on my ocean boat. It’s the only way to go.