Sign in to follow this  
SST

Never even thought of snow at a marina

A man moved snow off the docks at the Constitution Marina in Charlestown on March 13.

From the Boston Globe March 13th.

We have had in the past heavy enough snows that caused some marinas to sink. My marina has a boat with a pump that they go around and wash the roofs off to prevent the docks from being pushed down.

If I ever hear of a Great Lakes Chap owner EVER COMPLAIN of mold or stitching rotting out.

I will fil a     " Friend of Chaparral "   lawsuit.

I even have the 16'  Lowe aluminum stored under a concrete roof.   I keep it ready for my Viking Spreading of the Ashes. 

I can't believe how many people leave their boats in the water in the North.  I'd rather have it safely on land with no chance of it sinking!!

I would be very concerned about a bilge pump getting burned out  Water build up in places causing freezing & expanding to crush or crack the fiberglass in high or low points. 

Lets shovel off Buffalo.  & New Jersey.  12 " & rising in the yard.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:47 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

I can't believe how many people leave their boats in the water in the North.  I'd rather have it safely on land with no chance of it sinking!!

Yes, about 10 to 20% do. Remember, these are 30 to 50' boats. They haul them out every 2 years to re-paint and change the zincs. That first sail boat in the pic is mostly 38 to 45 feet, weighing in around 30k to 35,000lbs.  

17 hours ago, Iggy said:

That first sail boat in the pic

But it's not even covered up???

I do leave my car outside all year  long. Just bring it in during hail stones or very high winds.  

3 hours ago, Waterfun said:

But it's not even covered up???

Yep, they generally shirk wrap them with a door cut into it.. 

It may have had shrink wrap.  Only the cockpit is exposed, not a big deal for the end of season storm.  The cockpit is selfbailing

The funny thing is, Buffalo hasn't had any precipitation for over a week. The sun has been out everyday. Other than the temperature, its been like South Florida around here. The snow that fell two weeks ago, is slowly melting. Spring temps in the forecast.