ccvirginia

Drone footage 2003 200 ssi in the Thousand Islands

19 posts in this topic

When my buddies are out golfing on the weekend and I can't go because I'm wrapped up like a pretzel underneath the console trying to find an electrical short all day or snaked in behind the engine compartment on a 90-degree day trying to grease something. I have to remind myself why I have a boat and it will all be worth it when I'm out on the water. Besides that, how the heck else am I going to get out to an island? 

That is stunning. It's like boating Oz.

We honeymooned in the 1000 Islands and periodically go back.  Beautiful area.  Thanks for a sharing.

Thanks for bringing back some special memories. It was a long trailer for us to get there, but well worth the trip. Denny.

IMGP0200.jpg

21 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Nice video.  What drone?

I was using a DJI Phantom 3 standard, the boat chase scenes I was using the "follow me" feature.

2 hours ago, ccvirginia said:

I was using a DJI Phantom 3 standard, the boat chase scenes I was using the "follow me" feature.

Gorgeous area to fly a drone and boat.  I've only tried once to use the follow me mode on my Mavic Pro.  It didn't work as well on my first and only attempt so far.  It kept throwing some kind of error about altitude, so I just flew manually.

Do those drones come with little inflatable life rafts? I know I would lose one in the water.   :mellow:

11 hours ago, Duane2135 said:

Gorgeous area to fly a drone and boat.  I've only tried once to use the follow me mode on my Mavic Pro.  It didn't work as well on my first and only attempt so far.  It kept throwing some kind of error about altitude, so I just flew manually.

Hey Duane, I'm pretty sure you need to be at a minimum altitude before follow me will work. You also need to be using a phone or tablet with a data plan (so it can use the GPS)

11 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Do those drones come with little inflatable life rafts? I know I would lose one in the water.   :mellow:

I've seen guys cut pool floaties/tubes and fix them to the skids.

Great video!  Some stunning scenes.

I've been wondering how well drone  Follow Me modes would work to chase a boat.  My understanding is that battery life and sometimes top speed is limited.

On YouTube, there's a whole genre of boating "video logs", or vlogs.  They're 10-15 minute serials of narrated boating adventure, with drone and GoPro footage and music, some highly produced .   Great to watch while sidelined by Winter.   One such vlog is Searching for C-Shels, and they have some TI videos, as they are based nearby.  Other vlogs Ive seen are Sailing Ruby Rose, Gone with the Wynns, and a few others but there are ones for all tastes.   My favorites are the ones in the TI or Virgin Islands.

These vlogs are introducing millenials to cruising, may help save boating in some regards, as boomers continue to age.

19 hours ago, tomnjo said:

They fly themselves.  From the boat I hand launch and retrieve by hand.  Mine has a real flight time of 24-25 minutes.  I always bring her in at 30% to ensure I'm able to retrieve her.  In heavy winds and waves it can take a little while to retrieve safely, sometimes take several attempts.  The blades are really close to Mavic's body, so when rough extra caution is recommended.

8 hours ago, ccvirginia said:

Hey Duane, I'm pretty sure you need to be at a minimum altitude before follow me will work. You also need to be using a phone or tablet with a data plan (so it can use the GPS)

That's what it kept saying was that the drone wasn't high enough.  By the time I got it up high enough, it was just too high for what I wanted to film.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, gr8lakes said:

I've been wondering how well drone  Follow Me modes would work to chase a boat.  

I used the Litchi app and Phantom 3 Advanced to get the below footage.  I liked it, but it wasn't as perfect as you would expect.  It made for some cool video, though.  Keep in mind, this was when "follow me" was in its infancy.  DJI didn't have a follow me mode at the time this footage was taken.  I'm sure it's much much better today.  I need to go try it again...