Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
takeahiketour

Stowing Inflatables

25 posts in this topic

Thinking about picking up an inflatable tube, but they just take up so much space... How do you stow yours when you're out? Just tow it behind the boat, or would that slow you down much? Deflate it every time? Also boat stays on the water in a marina so need to store it when we come in as well. It just becomes so much work in the past I've never bothered with water sports but seems like it would be fun!

I deflate mine when we are done with them and store them in the bow storage under the floor.  Depends on your boat, I suppose.  the 264 is quite large that storage area is very large as well.  If moving about and it is inflated and we plan on using it more, we just bungee it to the rear facing seat :)  Or anywhere else out of the way.

If I know I am not going to use them for a while, I store them in my dock box (storage box attached to my slip).

I keep our tube deflated, under the rear port “L” seat. I have an inflator and a compressed air tank on board to make fill-ups easy. Only takes a few minutes to inflate and deflate. 

brick

What model boat do you have? On our 210 we have a two person delta shaped tube. While we are traveling to the area we want to tube, we keep it tied to the back of the boat with the point up on the sunpad and the back of it resting on the extended platform. We usually keep it inflated in the garage all summer. When towing the boat it fits in the bow under the cover. Our lounge chairs are usually inflated and deflated where we use them.

Most people lash them into the open bow areas if NOT used during a short high speed run to a new place.  Size does mater on the long tubes

I always strapped mine to the rear cleats resting on the ESP and rear deck for short runs between tubing spots. Otherwise it just floats on the rope when stopped or with a rider on it. I leave it inflated for the most part during the season in the garage. 

We have a Molecule (which we don't use anymore).;)  We used to deflate it every day cause we would usually have  to travel pretty far with it on vacation. And a 256 has a lot of storage. Now we use a smaller 3-person one, we still deflate it.

Big inflaters work well....

We have a large flat round tube. It gets filled once we're out on the water, usually when we anchor, as the kids like to play on it. I added a small loop of rope to the tow point of the tube just long enough to hook it to the ski eye. That leaves it about 2/3 in the water. It's very stable there even at higher speeds.  When wake boarding I move it over to one of the stern cleats, and it's out of the way.  It gets deflated again and stored in the engine compartment storage for the ride home. 

Once I'm home I inflate it again and stand it up against the wall to dry out. I get pretty serious about getting everything wet off the boat to dry out quickly. All the wet life jackets and wet lines get hung up, and every hatch gets left open for a day or two. 

1 hour ago, TNBrett said:

Once I'm home I inflate it again and stand it up against the wall to dry out. I get pretty serious about getting everything wet off the boat to dry out quickly. All the wet life jackets and wet lines get hung up, and every hatch gets left open for a day or two. 

We do the same. After backing the boat in to the garage, anything wet is hung up to dry. Hatches are opened, and everything is wiped down. After a few days of drying time it all goes back on, ready for the next weekend. 

brick

I have taken water into the bow & stern compartments several times or got caught in a squall downpour.  When at the slip I drag out the 120 vac  small box fan..... It has NO  NO sparking  brushes inside of the motor !!!!!!! . All my boats sit stern lower than the bow. water drains to transom bilge pump. I preset the speed switch  to LOW. It is NOT running YET.

I set the fan to blow into the most forward  bilge area.  ........THEN I plug the the extension cord into the PUMPHOUSE outlet.  run it until that section is dry. Then UNPLUG the pump house plug.  Move the fan to the next bilge area to be dried..... THEN go plug in the pump house plug.  Repeat for each bilge compartment.  Or you could have yellow mold starting up on the inside of your black boat cover.

I had to do a soaking of the complete cover in the huge Speed Queen washer. I filled the drum 1/2 full.  Then added 2 coffee cups of bleach. Ran it that way for about a minute to mix water & bleach evenly. Stuffed the cover in and removed air pockets.  Sat for about 15 minutes. Reset the washer to the spin dry cycle. Finally drained most of the water out of the cover. Carefully removed the cover onto a large plastic tarp to prevent any dripping bleach from staining the concrete floor.  Spread to dry on the lawn to dry each side......... The grass grew green after 2 cuttings.

No reappearance of the yellow mold.

My 210 i strap our two person tube to the tower. It rests on the wake board racks. Then I bungie strap the hands holds to the tower so its on upper corner. I tow it to and from the lake that way as well. Put in garage when done.

Did this with our lounges while we got a bite to eat. Yeah Futz...I know, I know....  :rolleyes:

y4mZuf1oIgiEM8mqkWXOwlz1aey4bJddCu488_hl

On 3/27/2018 at 5:55 AM, TNBrett said:

We have a large flat round tube. It gets filled once we're out on the water, usually when we anchor, as the kids like to play on it. I added a small loop of rope to the tow point of the tube just long enough to hook it to the ski eye. That leaves it about 2/3 in the water. It's very stable there even at higher speeds.  When wake boarding I move it over to one of the stern cleats, and it's out of the way.  It gets deflated again and stored in the engine compartment storage for the ride home. 

We do the same. Tie it down to the sun deck and let it air out on the ride back to the dock. When we get home, boat gets washed and wiped down every trip, hatches get left open to air out, anything wet gets hung out to dry. 

On another note. Boat is getting brought out of storage next week. Haven’t seen it since we winterized it. Can’t wait. 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Futzin' said:

Be different, learn to ski . . . ;)

I was a bit hasty; I do indeed stow inflatables, just not towables.  We keep our iSUPs in the same locker as brick (port section of cockpit 'L' seat).  Deflate after using when dry.  (I went a bit Sheldon Cooper there for a moment:  "They're having fun wrong".  Never cared much for tubes: riding, pulling or evading.)  My bad.

y4m-FYWgM_-YiJpHZ0jtd7X1y9TZhH3Nt9ftO_3B

We fill our 3 person tube up out on the water using a 12V high volume low pressure air pump/inflator - at the beginning of the day.  When no one is using we tie onto the back of the boat (swim platform + part of engine deck) using a pre-measured dock line specifically made to go from cleat to cleat on the back.  At the end of the day I deflate and dry it out.  Depending on the size of your towable it should fit in one of your stow areas.  My 3 person tube is quite large and when deflated it will fit in more than a few stow areas.  The can be heavy even deflated - so you'll want to make sure it's easy to get in/out. 

couple ideas:

I use a couple inflatables and iSUP, store them in mesh scuba gear bags (Mares brand sells good ones at $20-30).  I highly recommend Spiga Bravo pump, especially for isup at 18psi; mine runs on a battery that came with it, and I carry a small back-up battery made for motorcycles (about 3"x3"x5").  Pump has alligator clips. 

I used to use a cigarette lighter powered pump, but it would go slow and overheat the circuit.  I also used the foot operated pumps -- they're okay, but slow and my young kids can't do them but always want to try...

Battery operated pump is a game-changer -- enables us to inflate a huge floating inflatable that has 6 seats!

I store in my engine room -- there was extra space where a generator would go, so I added a sturdy large fiberglass bin (about 3'x1'x1.5') that I got online from an industrial supply company.  I found that plastic totes from Home Depot or elsewhere were not great over time, though I also have a milk crate style bin in there.

side note: milk crates can still be purchased at TSC stores.  Among other uses, they're perfect to transport 20# propane tanks.

I deflate and keep towables in the "trunk" of my 215 SSi along with having a 12v air pump.

215 004.jpg

On 3/26/2018 at 5:23 PM, takeahiketour said:

Thinking about picking up an inflatable tube, but they just take up so much space... How do you stow yours when you're out? Just tow it behind the boat, or would that slow you down much? Deflate it every time? Also boat stays on the water in a marina so need to store it when we come in as well. It just becomes so much work in the past I've never bothered with water sports but seems like it would be fun!

When I first saw your post I was thinking about the inflatable boats I have owned, not trying to bust up your post.

Zodiac Jump 2 (2).jpg

Those big inflatables really need the huge VOLUME air pumps to enjoy using them.  Huge  C F M   rating is all important. Low pressure with high C F M rating.

Quick search has plenty of high C F M units on 12 vdc...... How big is  your filling tube diameter ?  That can be the stumbling / limiting point

A quick check with Airhead  towables was good & bad.  They have no idea how long it takes to fill a " Big Betty " 4 person tube. 

Caution some of their towables have FOAM FILLED sections. Good to protect riders. But forget about complete collapse & storing. They will E MAIL me with data to fill with the big 12 vdc pump. Total minutes.  Some of us must have that pump & a 4 person rider ?

Time to fill a 2 rider is 30 to 40 seconds.  A typical 10 X 10 tube about 3 to 4 minutes. The model AHP-12HP is psi regulated to 2 psi max or 1 1/2 psi during normal rate of filling.

the spiga bravo air pump I use says it is "2 stage", which means it pumps out at a high volume and low pressure at first, then as it sense the pressure building, it switches to lower volume and higher pressure.  Conceptually, it's like the manual foot pump that came with my dinghy with inflatable floor.  my spiga works very well -- would recommend it!

we have one of those airhead towables with the foam -- it's a double tube, and the foam sections are really not very thick -- you add air to them, kind of like a thermarest.  So, all in all, they don't take much space.

as mentioned before, i put each tube in a Mares mesh bag -- sturdy, and easy to carry -- some are duffle shaped, others are backpack style.