Sign in to follow this  
wijeff

What is the smallest chap that has twin inboard

Just wondering what size boat has twin motors I like the 265ssi but its is single motor 

The old 2835 had twin 5.7's but it is no longer available. My 256 SSX (same hull) has a single 496 HO with the Bravo 3X drive. At 425 HP, it will push my ride to 63 MPH when lightly loaded and under perfect conditions. I mention this as at speeds above 60, these hulls tend to chine walk a bit and are not all that stable. The boat came without trim tabs and that had to change in a hurry too. If you are sold on twins, then you may want to think about a boat with a bit more aggressive dead rise and a pad keel design. One of our members put a pro-charger on his and with a drive change got his 256 SSI up into the low 70's, but that only happened on a dead flat lake as over 60, she was a real handful.  If it's reliability you are looking for, the single Yamaha outboard offerings are rock solid. I'm shopping for a FE style center console off-shore with twin 300's in the 28 to 29 foot range, but that has more to do with performance than redundancy. W

It's that I do boat inland as well as the great lakes looking for plan b if out on lake Michigan and lose a motor that I have a back up .I don't feel confident in a single on Michigan if I would go out far enough need plan b to be in effect . Just thinking out loud and ask my self . Don't like plan b to be the coast guard.   Plan a my boat, plan b second motor, plan c coast guard.  My thoughts 

21 hours ago, wijeff said:

It's that I do boat inland as well as the great lakes looking for plan b if out on lake Michigan and lose a motor that I have a back up .I don't feel confident in a single on Michigan if I would go out far enough need plan b to be in effect . Just thinking out loud and ask my self . Don't like plan b to be the coast guard.   Plan a my boat, plan b second motor, plan c coast guard.  My thoughts 

http://www.robalo.com/Robalo-Boat-2016.php?id=377&action=tab_specs       

http://www.robalo.com/Robalo-Boat-2016.php?id=375&action=tab_gallery

These might work, and built by Chaps parent company.

Lake Michigan is a OCEAN  when the winds keep blowing you farther offshore.

I have done Lake Ontario with the normal weather breeze, blowing me steadily back to the Saint Lawrence River. 

just so you know, losing an engine w/ twins will only allow you to travel at idle speeds.  the boat will not get on plane w/ only 1 engine and if you lose your starboard engine you won't have power steering either.  i wouldn't worry too much about needed twins on Lake Michigan, instead invest the $$ in a very good VHF w/ distress call.  i would guess that 95% of all recreational boaters stay within a few miles of shore - fishermen may be the exception.  no reason to be 30 miles offshore 

i know the above is true because it happened to me - lost the upper & lower output gears on starboard engine, tried raising the engine, lowering it, etc.  but one engine would not get my boat on plane.  i was 1 mile off shore and 8 miles from New Buffalo harbor.  steering w/o power steering is a great workout

57 minutes ago, delaney said:

just so you know, losing an engine w/ twins will only allow you to travel at idle speeds.  the boat will not get on plane w/ only 1 engine and if you lose your starboard engine you won't have power steering either.  i wouldn't worry too much about needed twins on Lake Michigan, instead invest the $$ in a very good VHF w/ distress call.  i would guess that 95% of all recreational boaters stay within a few miles of shore - fishermen may be the exception.  no reason to be 30 miles offshore 

i know the above is true because it happened to me - lost the upper & lower output gears on starboard engine, tried raising the engine, lowering it, etc.  but one engine would not get my boat on plane.  i was 1 mile off shore and 8 miles from New Buffalo harbor.  steering w/o power steering is a great workout

depends on the boat and power pack.  Running on one engine can definitely add strain.  But if you have equal sized power packs on a relatively smaller and lighter boat say under 25 ft or so, you could probably get on plane and at minimum go faster than idle speed.  Each engine operates independently, one has no effect on the other, so regardless of what the other is doing each engine can get to WOT, now the question being is what does that mean at WOT.  With that being said a if you had twin 150s say on a 23-24ft boat that weighed under 5k, that single 150 will most definitely get up on plane most of the time.  But again you should probably watch your temp, and not something you would want to do long term.  Many people think that adding an engine doubles your performance not true, likewise losing engine doesn't necessarily cut your ability in half.

But I don't disagree with your overall notion of it might be over kill to spend it on an engine, money might be better spent elsewhere.  Another option would be a spend the money on a smaller engine that can be used for trolling or in the event of failure be used

I think you need twin outboards.  If one engine goes out then you can tilt the one outboard up all the way out the water to get on plane to head back to port.  

I can't get on plane with one motor.  Too much drag from the out drive. 

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

depends on the boat and power pack.  Running on one engine can definitely add strain.  But if you have equal sized power packs on a relatively smaller and lighter boat say under 25 ft or so, you could probably get on plane and at minimum go faster than idle speed.  Each engine operates independently, one has no effect on the other, so regardless of what the other is doing each engine can get to WOT, now the question being is what does that mean at WOT.  With that being said a if you had twin 150s say on a 23-24ft boat that weighed under 5k, that single 150 will most definitely get up on plane most of the time.  But again you should probably watch your temp, and not something you would want to do long term.  Many people think that adding an engine doubles your performance not true, likewise losing engine doesn't necessarily cut your ability in half.

But I don't disagree with your overall notion of it might be over kill to spend it on an engine, money might be better spent elsewhere.  Another option would be a spend the money on a smaller engine that can be used for trolling or in the event of failure be used

probably true for outboards and smaller boats, just not the 327.  the working engine cannot reach WOT RPM, due to drag of the hull and part of the skeg of the other.  i attempted to peg the throttle, the boat actually moved faster while not trying to get on plane.  not to mention the crazy amount of fuel i burned on the one engine getting back to harbor.  you would think that 375HP would be enough to get that boat on plane - perhaps if the outdrives were single props the WOT could be reached but the DP just didn't have it

It is a rare non racing hull that can plane on 1 engine. add in wind & waves the wrong way ???   Not much hope at all. 3 to 4 foot waves will keep a boat off plane. 

You would need to test drive in wind & waves to be sure.

Be a old chicken like me.  I can not justify risking my wife getting the insurance money.     :)

I have powered cruisers onto a down wind side of a island........... There are not many islands in Lake Michigan ?

This week is special on the Great lakes. Gale winds & 20 feet of waves.