urodude

Bottom Paint - Interlux VC-17 or Pettit Vivid??

El Capitans.. I am having my 264 coated in bottom paint and have narrowed it down between Interlux VC-17 and Pettit Vivid (please no religious debate on whether to paint or not paint)  I wet slip in the Milwaukee River from May-Oct.  Last season was the first season for the 264 – trailer princess prior.  The ‘fresh’ water is HIGHLY-organic and despite regular in-water scrubbing, by Oct the south facing side was covered in a thick coat of green fur.  An acid wash later and the fur was gone, minus some minor staining.  More concerning, the acid wash revealed a handful of small blister, soo time to lock it down.  I have no concerns over sacrificing a mph or two off of top-end, my priority is resistance to fouling, durability & longevity.  VC-17 feels like the gold standard to me, Vivid is attractive on account I can color match the hull or to my grey band and mimic the ‘stealth’ option avl on the 2018’s.  Again my priority is resistance to fouling, durability & longevity.  Thoughts??

I use Blue Water  https://www.ipaint.us/collections/blue-water-marine-paint/products/copper-shield-45-copper-ablative

Been using it for the past 10 years. Good stuff at a good price. But remember, you should put on a barrier coat first.  https://www.ipaint.us/collections/blue-water-marine-paint/products/barriershield-primer-gallon

I would use to different colors. When the bottom coats wears down, you will know. 

Remember too, Vivid is a non-copper paint. It will not work as good, I have tried it. Keep in mind, when the boat is in the water you really don't see the hull with the bottom paint. Ok, maybe a little.... I would rather have a clean hull than a great looking one as far as color goes. 

+1 on the barrier coat, that is a must. Granted I have a Trailer Queen, but in 1992, I put VC-17 on her bottom, after the barrier coat. And other then the wear spots from the rollers, it is still on there. And after 25 years, that is the only spot that has not gotten a bath, because it never looked like it needed it. Not sure if today's VC-17, is the same product as it was when I applied mine. 2 ways to apply it, a very short knapp paint roller, or an air less spray gun, that is what I used to do mine.  Denny.

Great feedback so far ..keep it coming!

To add a little color, as this is the first time application on this boat I am having it professional done.  Inclusive of barrier coat, two layers of bottom paint (either product), repairing the blisters and a buff/wax of the grey band, they quoted 3,335 deer all-in - which feels fair to me.  I'll tackle any touch-ups or eventual maintenance coats on my own but hoping that will be a few yrs down the road.

I`ve got Vivid white on mine, have had it there for three years and will be redoing this spring. I`ve had no problem with it except that you will still need to wash it good at the end of the season. It helps, but is not a cure all for cleanliness. It does keep the bulk of the ugly stuff away though. I chose Vivid because I didn't want it to show or look like a painted hull.

I have Pettit Hydrocoat in black on mine.  The color is really brown black, but it hides the uglies when they grow.

i used to slip my 327 in a channel marina that would cause the fur to grow.   i use the Pettit bright white, it made a huge difference.  i would take the boat out and do a general wipe down while at anchor.  The brown color wipes right off and each fall i buy a gallon and just paint the water line and any spots that need it.  last summer was the first time i purchased 2 gallons and rolled the bottom.  i like the white - from a few yards away you cannot tell the bottom is painted - highly recommend .  initial cost is high, but for fresh water it performs well

Really dumb/newb question...how do you support the boat to paint the bottom? How do you paint where the supports or straps are holding the boat. Had the same question about waxing/polishing. Do you do what can and then reposition and finish?

1 hour ago, Ljn21 said:

Really dumb/newb question...how do you support the boat to paint the bottom? How do you paint where the supports or straps are holding the boat. Had the same question about waxing/polishing. Do you do what can and then reposition and finish?

Speaking for only myself, I paint what I can and reposition my support system and then hit what was covered.

1 hour ago, Ljn21 said:

My boats now is too big to trailer. But when I did, I liked the trailers that used rollers. I would paint the bottom the best I could. Than wait a day and use a comer-long and pull the boat off the trailer about 6 to 10" to expose where I could not reach. Than use the winch to pull it back.