Sign in to follow this  
SST

New F150 question: Coolant where it shouldn't be.

Since January 1st, my truck has been off the road. The only thing I've done with it is put the battery charger on it 1 month ago. Today, Apr 1st, being the day it goes back on the road, I was happy to open the garage door and start it up. It fired right up. I poked around the garage for a few minutes while it warmed up then backed it out. I walked back into the garage and I find a tiny puddle of coolant [green]. But the location of the puddle is pretty far back from the engine. At least four feet. I then climb under the truck and I see that the catalytic converter is the same distance behind the engine...its dripping out of both weep holes. Only water at this point [The engine is warmed up].

If it was only water on the floor, it wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't be writing this. But at engine start up, its dripping coolant. Not a lot.  Maybe  a 1/2 cup between the two spots. I may not be tech savy with the new trucks out there, but I am not aware that any coolant would be in the exhaust plumbing.....anywhere. 

Am I screwed with a cracked block?

Your not stating which engine you have. I had a 2012 and now a 2016 F150. Both with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Never had that problem.

I would recheck the AF levels everyday for the next week and take it from there. 

I see this a lot on our cars. As they sit a bit not running, the moisture in the exhaust will pickup some of the internal corrosion in the pipes. At start up it will blow out the exhaust moisture drain vents and has a green color that appears to be coolant. If you do a closer inspection it is not coolant and is normal. 

Engine is 5L. 

I have seen constant drips out of the bottom of my truck since I bought it, especially when I first start it. But never have I seen a green puddle before yesterday. 

I will start the truck again today and see what happens.

Would you say this puddle is normal [yesterdays puddle-not today]? 

IMG_0125.jpg

Thanks for the link. But it turns out I don't have a problem. 

I cranked it up today and crawled underneath while it was warming up. Geeez the amount of water coming out of  both weep holes on the rear converter plus water coming out of the muffler was amazing. If there ever is a water main break around here, all I'd have to do is start my truck! haha While it was warming, water started coming out. On top of that, the exhaust pressure was so strong that the water was being sprayed forward about a foot. I'm laughing hoping that this is normal. I didn't see any green this time.

So, on my way around town, I stopped at the Ford dealer and discussed it with the guy I usually chat with and who also owns a 150. He explained it just the way Mi3Sons explained it above. Which, is amazing. Too talk with two independent individuals and get the same answer.....how often does that happen?

Anyways, thanks for the input. I've now returned to "happy camper" and am looking forward to summer. 1 more month before the boat comes out of storage.

That's great. The best one was we had a customer come in with a Pathfinder with a strange white liquid leak coming from the rear of the vehicle. Turns out the culprit was 2 tubs of ice cream that were left in it for several days leaking out of the floor drains. Never did smell right in there again.