Dale123

Freshwater boat...really?

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I’m a old school diesel guy and new here on the forum...Can anyone identify this part and what I’m up against to get replaced?  I could really use some advice on this...I was crawling around in the engine compartment replacing bilge vent hose when I saw thiis rusted out arm on my newly purchased 2001 freshwater 260 Signature with 5.7 L efi and Bravo lll w 245 hrs, it’s the only place I’ve seen any significant rust...I was just fixing to have the 300 hr service...Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m guessing my maiden voyage this week is canceled....

FEFC984D-604F-4FAB-83FC-7152B81BB377.jpeg

Appears your steering lever is toast.

Most times that requires the engine to be removed to change out from the ones I have seen. I have a hard time accepting that is freshwater use.

Thank you paulswagelock,

When I found this yesterday I started having doubts as to the freshwater selling point, initial inspection “which did not include crawling in the bilge looked great”

I was hoping this was just a part replacement ordeal for a  power steering mount and/or etc...reality of an engine pull bites big time...

thanks again

I will defer to some of the more experienced guys, but the few boats I have seen needing this repair had the engine pulled.

JRMARINE has a kit I have used before to replace worn gimble rings and steering pins but I'm not sure you can get the steering arm out by doing it that way. If you call Ron there he should be able to tell you for sure. Also a good time to replace the bellows and bearing while off.

Thank you very much Mi3sons, I’ll be calling tomorrow...I’m hearing it’s a full engine and outdrive to replace so I’m stressed out...thanks again

How is that possible ?  Looks like a marina / owner swapped parts.

Hey Mi3sons,

Thank you for the link to JRmarine, Ron’s recorder says he is out of the country till Apr 15...I watched his videos on gimbals rings, pins etc using the kit where you cut into your outdrive to gain access....I think I’ll wait till I speak to Ron to see if it’s possible...especially after today’s $5000 quote to replace the $275 steering arm...

Yes he has a place down in South America or Panama or something. Hardest part of the kit is the time it takes to drill and knock out the piece. About 2 hrs to do the complete dissassembly.

yeah your swivel pin is toast and shredded the seal,  JR marine has it down, have used it twice.  What I would also recommend if your drive doesn't have one is to install a grease zirk in that area.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

yeah your swivel pin is toast and shredded the seal,  JR marine has it down, have used it twice.  What I would also recommend if your drive doesn't have one is to install a grease zirk in that area.

Thank you soldier4402 for chiming in. I just went to JRmarine and watched the videos, very good info and an awesome kit!  Do you think there is anyway to not have to remove the drive and bell housing by using the kit to loosen the lever nut and bolt along with the nut on top of the lever, then remove the lever pin inside the engine compartment?  

Thank you in advance!

Is water dripping from above? Maybe when the motor box is lifted?

brick

That would be nice but impossible. You have to remove in order to drop the steering pin. We're sure the seal and pin are junk also. The JR ubolt can be tricky as you HAVE TO BE SURE you use all the lube on the threads or the nut will lock and break it.

22 hours ago, brick said:

Is water dripping from above? Maybe when the motor box is lifted?

brick

Hey brick, when I bought the boat last month it went straight to being  stored on a rack so It’s always dry, but that’s a good idea to test out out, maybe with a water hose....thank you

It’s pretty easy to tell if a boat was fresh or salt...

brick

On 4/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, Mi3sons said:

That would be nice but impossible. You have to remove in order to drop the steering pin. We're sure the seal and pin are junk also. The JR ubolt can be tricky as you HAVE TO BE SURE you use all the lube on the threads or the nut will lock and break it.

Thank you! I’ll check that off my hopeful list...I just got my first estimate, I know I’m not ready to tackle this job but $5K for a new transom assembly since  I haven’t even gotten the boat in the water, but on a positive note nobody was injured or killed by taking it out and snapping the lever doing 20...

Don't need new transom assembly. Just need new steering arm and most likely Swivel Shaft. As many have said the JR Marine kit is the best and NuWave Marine sells the stainless swivel shaft, steering arm and all seals and parts to dissembly. Literally just bought all this to do mine and found out all that was wrong was my inner steering tie bar needs to be replaced not swivel shafts. So I am sending it all back. Was about $650 -$800 in parts total. 

48 minutes ago, 330Signature said:

Don't need new transom assembly. Just need new steering arm and most likely Swivel Shaft. As many have said the JR Marine kit is the best and NuWave Marine sells the stainless swivel shaft, steering arm and all seals and parts to dissembly. Literally just bought all this to do mine and found out all that was wrong was my inner steering tie bar needs to be replaced not swivel shafts. So I am sending it all back. Was about $650 -$800 in parts total. 

This is awesome info/advice, thank you...I’ll Be ordering an outdrive install jack and those parts from both tonight... $800 in parts sounds so much better than the 5K estimate!  

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Dale123 said:

Thank you soldier4402 for chiming in. I just went to JRmarine and watched the videos, very good info and an awesome kit!  Do you think there is anyway to not have to remove the drive and bell housing by using the kit to loosen the lever nut and bolt along with the nut on top of the lever, then remove the lever pin inside the engine compartment?  

Thank you in advance!

using the JR kit you shouldn't have to remove the drive cut out the piece like it shows and remove.