Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamblingdave

Maybe gimbal ?

8 posts in this topic

So easter boating was a blast  but was hearing slight noise from 1994 2130 mercruiser alpha one outdrive did some research and noise may be coming from gimbal bearing

didn't know that I should not store boat with drive up only on year 4 with it lol

found grease zerk for gimbal and lubed hope it quiets it ???  it only made noise when in water and wasn't that loud

now the questions   yes I know I need it fixed but all shops are at a month backed up      if noise is gone can I wait till winter to do full service ?   what would happen if it bound up  ?    

Hopefully you put at least 10 pumps in from the gun.  Does it make the noise when the boat isn't in gear or just when it's in gear?  Yes, storing the boat with the lower unit up puts alot of stress on the gimbal.  But if it's making the noise while the boat isn't in gear, I don't think the gimbal is going to be your issue.  Contrary to popular belief it takes quite a bit for it to "bound up".  I wouldn't be too concerned about that but if you can't pinpoint the noise, I'd have someone take a look at it before other damage occurs.

If the noise was only while in gear, probably not the gimbal, as it is always turning even in neutral. If the noise was present in gear, probably something down in the lower gear set. I wouldn`t tear it apart just yet, grease it real good and run it another time or two and see if the noise persists or gets louder. If so, then you might want to have it looked at. It could also be your U joints going bad.

Check your bellows for cracks since it was stored with the drive up. Also, make sure your exhaust bellow did not slip off of one end for the same reason.

Its really not that hard of a fix.  a half a dozen nuts and a bearing puller...if its bad its honestly worth yanking it off yourself.

As far as storing the boat with the drive is in the full up position, that will over time cause the bellows to take a set, which may cause it to fail per-maturely when lowered to the normal run position, but the gimbel bearing itself could care less as all the adverse angle is eaten up by the constant velocity u-joint pair. Even operating the engine at idle speed with the drive up will not cause gimbel and/or u-joint damage as they are designed to handle the severe angle. You can however impart damage to the gimbel ring and/or upper gear case if you strike something as in the upper range of trim, the sides of the upper gear case have exited the zone in which they receive lateral support from the gimbel housing. As far as the gimbel bearing itself, the need for proper lubrication, and proper engine alignment are the key here. All boat hulls move around a bit over time as resins cure, and hull loadings change due to trailers, and rack storage and operation. All boats are happiest in the water in that regard as loading during storage is equalized. Over time, the relationship between the transom and the hull bottom will change, slightly raising or lowering the front of the engine as it relates to the right angle exit of the drive shaft through the transom and gimbel bearing. This imparts excess stress to both the gimbel bearing and engine coupler, and to a lesser extent to the u-joint pairing, and input shaft bearing and seal on the upper gear case. If your gimbel bearing has failed, pull the drive, have the bearing replaced, and then have the engine alignment checked and adjusted before re-installing the drive. This alignment check is recommended every 3 years or 300 hours, whichever comes first. My new Chap was off a touch after 3 years, but has since stayed dead nuts. I have friends with Bayliners who trailer who must re-align every couple years. Alignment tool is cheap, but doing a perfect alignment takes some practice. As far as the gimble, they can be a pain to pull out the old one, but installation is really pretty straight forward if you buy the alignment tool, and the bearing installation tool as it slips on to the end of the alignment tool.  Be sure to lube the coupler splines with the proper extreme pressure lubricant during drive re-installation as simple multi-purpose grease will cause the coupler to fail prematurely. W

What kind of noise?  When my gimbal went in my previous boat it was almost like a roaring sound..  just louder than normal