Challenger604

Major Cabin Fever

25 posts in this topic

Not sure if you guys are feeling this way but here in the Midwest the weather is terrible. We are about 25-30 degrees below average. Today the high was only 35. There is even a little snow in the forecast. SMH.  I have major cabin fever and feel angry and have low energy. This winter has been tuff but I was hoping the end was in sight. Now with these temperatures I'm not sure when it will end. There is a few projects I have to do on the boat but it's to cold out for me to work on it. I have a houseboat trip planned for mid June and that's what I have to look forward to but if the temps don't increase the water is going to be a little cold. Does anyone else feel this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here in N J .  I am looking at some St. Lawrence River cruise pictures to feel better. Gin & Tonic with a bag of Cheese Curls.   Life is almost good.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here in KY.  Luckily spring turkey season starts next Saturday to distract me for a few weeks.  I'll be chasing the thunder chickens around my buddy's farm as much as I can.  Smoked wild turkey jerky is outstanding.  Still need to install a bass tube speaker on the boat, but it's at the shop awaiting new covers (dealership misplaced them during winterization visit).  Weather has been just gross, with snow and sleet forecast here Friday night.   We've had precip 70% of the days of 2018 thus far.  Winter will NOT let go this year.

I've made my annual reservations for our planned camping trips at our usual campground, and they tell me they have a special site planned for me in the new addition they're working on.

Hope Springs Eternal . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futzin' said:

Same here in KY.  Luckily spring turkey season starts next Saturday to distract me for a few weeks.  I'll be chasing the thunder chickens around my buddy's farm as much as I can.  Smoked wild turkey jerky is outstanding.  Still need to install a bass tube speaker on the boat, but it's at the shop awaiting new covers (dealership misplaced them during winterization visit).  Weather has been just gross, with snow and sleet forecast here Friday night.   We've had precip 70% of the days of 2018 thus far.  Winter will NOT let go this year.

I've made my annual reservations for our planned camping trips at our usual campground, and they tell me they have a special site planned for me in the new addition they're working on.

Hope Springs Eternal . . . 

You could live in Travis city Mi, I heard that they got 10 inches of the white stuff last night. I feel good and glad that it didn't hit here. However next week I leave for San Diego and Phoenix for a month. I'll deal with it when I get back in the middle of May. Sure is nice to have children that live in warm places.  Denny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Denny said:

You could live in Travis city Mi, I heard that they got 10 inches of the white stuff last night. I feel good and glad that it didn't hit here. However next week I leave for San Diego and Phoenix for a month. I'll deal with it when I get back in the middle of May. Sure is nice to have children that live in warm places.  Denny.

A bit less unusual up north.

Have a great trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here.  This time last year we I was knee deep in repairs on our boat and weather was in the high 40s.  It was 25 this morning and snow in forecast for tonight and tomorrow.  I did see a possible 60 degree day late next week.  We are also 20-25 degrees below normal.  Ont he plus side, the maple syrup producers around here are doing great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here.  On Sunday, I put my dockside fenders in place, wearing a t-shirt and shorts.  Monday we had monsoon rains, yesterday a good bit of snow, and it was 28 degrees this morning.  The only thing that's keeping my boating desire in check is that I'm running behind on painting the lower unit and doing the compounding/polish on the hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 9:01 PM, Futzin' said:

A bit less unusual up north.

Have a great trip!

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always loved a good snow storm. Even the big one in October of 2006. Spent all night shoveling my roof to prevent any collapse. And this morning, its snowing and its sticking.  But, even I'm ready for some warming up. I even pulled the downhill and x/c skies out of my car even though the local resorts are still open. 

I'm ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not super cabin fevered this year.  We kept our lake house heated all winter and never made it there due to kids sports...bummer this was the year we had snow but never used the snowmobiles.  So much going on at home, I'm actually happy for the extended winter.  Ice out is going to be really late this year.  People were still driving trucks on the lake last weekend I hear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather is bi polar here.     It's 60 today and of course Saturday Cold and possible snow.   Sunday 46,  Monday snowy mix.    Glad i didn't put the boat in early this year.    Hoping by late April to have a few weeks of warm weather before I put it in the water.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...snow is in the forecast this evening again here in central Illinois. SMH. I really want to get a few maintenance things going on the but it's to cold. I have a hunch we are going to skip spring ang go straight to 90 degree weather. At this point I will gladly take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Challenger604 said:

Well...snow is in the forecast this evening again here in central Illinois. SMH. I really want to get a few maintenance things going on the but it's to cold. I have a hunch we are going to skip spring ang go straight to 90 degree weather. At this point I will gladly take it. 

You could move to Phoenix, it was 93 there yesterday.  Denny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say its a "dry heat."  haha.  I always thought that was an old wives tale. Last year while touring the railroads north of ABQ, I learned that that little saying is true. As a matter of fact, it was so dry, that even walking the rim of the Grand Canyon at 95 degrees, I didn't sweat. But I did have a continuous light nose bleed. 

When I returned home the nose bleed disappeared. I'll take Lake Erie over PHX any day........for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well she is off the stands and back down on the ground.

Only two things left to do, put her on the muffs and get the winter antifreeze out.

And get a calendar out to show Mother Nature what time of year it is.  Denny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to get moving on a complete redo of all the pine bark nugget , covered areas. 1500 SF of U V black plastic. 250 bags of pine nuggets. 1500 SF of very fine plastic netting to cover the nuggets. About 150 U stakes to hold the netting down.  Use up al 30 gallons of sealed in tanks 10 % Ethanol. 

I chickened out on completing the 6... 48" long RC boats. Only R Cing 3 for the kids.  My own Honey Do List is a little too long for May 1st.

Buy Ibuprofen stock.  It will be in short supply until I complete the do list.    :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all need to come to FL.  Although even here we've had some unseasonably cold weather.  There must be something to global warming?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Futzin' said:

Luckily spring turkey season starts next Saturday to distract me for a few weeks.  I'll be chasing the thunder chickens around my buddy's farm as much as I can.  Smoked wild turkey jerky is outstanding. 

Well, I got lucky and got two birds in three days, tagged out.  It was snowing yesterday morning when I took the second one!  Back to spring fever without the spring.  Thirty degrees last night and wind . . . 

12 minutes ago, Cindy S said:

Y'all need to come to FL.  Although even here we've had some unseasonably cold weather.  There must be something to global warming?? 

We'll be visiting friends near Bradenton in a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to some warmth!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Lost Creek and then Elkins, West Virginia this past weekend. No need to go to Florida. It was 88 degrees on Friday. But fear not, I will be headed to Fort Myers next week to drive my uncles car back home. I will do my customary Miami Beach run before heading north. A stop at Charleston to check out the Yorktown aircraft carrier and then over to Charlotte for their aviation museum. Then home.  Maybe by then the snow will have not only stopped, but melted too. This will be the latest I've pulled my boat out of storage since I've had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My storage place has said a extra 2 weeks will be no problem.  Too much skim ice near docks & shore every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think I'm going to get the boat out of storage tomorrow and start getting it ready for the season. (That might be in another month) I have a few little things to do to it and get it all cleaned up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bad winds from two weeks ago blew alot of ice into the canal.  there isn't a lot of flow so the ice doesn't make it to the falls.  Hopefully some rains will speed up the melting process this weekend.  Marina told me they plan on opening May 15.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What marina are you using? Looking at your picture, I can't place it. 

I was just looking at the planned construction for the skyway. Now having my boat at Safe Harbor [ex-NFTA] it may prove a little annoying getting to and from the marina. I've been studying the maps to see what my alternate routes will be. Timing will make the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SST said:

What marina are you using? Looking at your picture, I can't place it. 

I was just looking at the planned construction for the skyway. Now having my boat at Safe Harbor [ex-NFTA] it may prove a little annoying getting to and from the marina. I've been studying the maps to see what my alternate routes will be. Timing will make the difference.

I am at Smith Boys.  On the Tonawanda Island side.  The picture is looking north-west off our dock.  With the removal of the toll booths, the Marinas on Grand Island look more attractive but I already re-uped for the summer..  Planning on May 15th target to get the boat out of storage and on a work rack to take care of a bunch of stuff.  Should be in the water by end of May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now it makes sense. 

I rode my bike along Bird Island Pier today. All the way to the end. I noticed the CG was out changing buoys in the Black Rock Canal. From cans to lighted buoys. Both red and green. I wish Canada would install lighted buoys out in the river at the mouth of Lake Erie.  They are hard to find at night even with a spot light and a GPS waypoint. Two years ago somebody hit the green one and cut it in half. I often wonder in the beginning how close I ever came.

Still ice flowing down the river. Some big chunks too. I even found 2 sections of the ice boom along the pier. A telephone number is welded onto it. I may call them tomorrow. Date of manufacturing is 1996. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now