Sign in to follow this  
Rush0024

Why is it so hard to find gas grill on 224 sunesta?

I recently started looking into getting a boat. Chaparral caught my eye as I saw that you could get a gas grill on some of their bowrider boats. I would love to have that option if I do get a Chaparral boat. I went to build and saw you can get the gas grill as a option on the 224. However when I search for 224's on the internet for sale I can't find a single one that has that option. Why is that? On the 224 page there isn't even a picture of it. Why isn't this a bigger selling point? Why are there no 224's out there with this option? I am new to the boating thing but for me having a grill built into the boat is a great feature and nice selling point to be able to entertain friends and cook up a meal while on the water. What am I missing?

It's pretty easy to buy or have installed a marine gas grill and mount in a sport of your choosing.  I put a Magma kettle (http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/MK3/A10-217-3/a10-217-3.html) on my 225 SSI.  It took me a grand total of maybe 2 hours to fit/install the mount and set up the grill.  

I wouldn't let lack of a grill impact your buying decision--you can add whatever suits your fancy to the right boat.

2 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

It's pretty easy to buy or have installed a marine gas grill and mount in a sport of your choosing.  I put a Magma kettle (http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/MK3/A10-217-3/a10-217-3.html) on my 225 SSI.  It took me a grand total of maybe 2 hours to fit/install the mount and set up the grill.  

I wouldn't let lack of a grill impact your buying decision--you can add whatever suits your fancy to the right boat.

I know, I just really want one with the gas grill from the factory. I know I'm weird, I just want the clean built in look. I'm not big on adding stuff like this as it can be a little tacky for me. 

Looking at the optional gas grill on the 2018 Sunesta, there's nothing really 'built in' about it.  It'd be easy to have something installed that's identical to that.  Add-on's are only tacky if they're done tacky--aside from anything that actually requires different fiberglass on the hull or the deck, pretty much everything Chap puts on a boat can be sourced from the common suppliers.

It can easily be done to look as good as, or better than, original.

1 hour ago, Rush0024 said:

I know, I just really want one with the gas grill from the factory. I know I'm weird, I just want the clean built in look. I'm not big on adding stuff like this as it can be a little tacky for me. 

Then you are going to be disappointed when you realize no one wants to pay the premium for a factory grill when you can add an aftermarket for a fraction of the cost and get the same results.  

Your local dealer should be able to get one for you as long as the boat isn't too old.

My guess is they don’t put grills on small boats because they are small boats. Not a lot of room onboard, so from a safety standpoint, maybe not prudent.

brick

5 minutes ago, brick said:

My guess is they don’t put grills on small boats because they are small boats. Not a lot of room onboard, so from a safety standpoint, maybe not prudent.

brick

It's an option on the 2018 Sunesta 224 (click on cockpit HERE), but kinda spendy, so I suspect not selected massively often.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:08 PM, Rush0024 said:

You don't have to look at all. If you want the factory grill, simply order the factory package from Cecil Marine or a local Chaparral dealer and you can install it yourself or have a local marine service place do in VERY easily. 

Grill, support arm and mounting bracket. Magma makes really good stuff too - if wanted you could probably get a Magma grill and then Chaparral sourced arm and mounting hardware for a factory look.

grill-gas-platform-sun.jpg

It's just more $hit to clean....all those "buddies" eating your hotdogs will be gone as soon as that boat touches the shore! :)

Tell them to bring their own sandwiches ....

2 hours ago, RoyR said:

It's just more $hit to clean....all those "buddies" eating your hotdogs will be gone as soon as that boat touches the shore! :)

Tell them to bring their own sandwiches ....

Finally someone that agrees with me.  Sandwiches are the only way you are eating on my boat.  I don't want burger grease all over my interior nor do I want to deal with paper plates and the condiments. 

I disagree. We eat sandwiches for lunch but the grill comes out every evening at happy hour.  

That's the exacts set up i have as well other than the location. I use mine standing on the swim deck. Love it. 

6 hours ago, Phillbo said:

That's the exacts set up i have as well other than the location. I use mine standing on the swim deck. Love it. 

I may add a second mounting socket in the swim deck area, but like the ability to have my prep space on the wet bar the move right to the grill, so I decided to start there.

I grill burgers and dogs on my Coleman in the bow.

y4mYAmiSnJoYKZ8ThLaqcZOfirFSB3k8EmaJQ3uQ

But more often than that we just go out to eat.

y4mGxkF4ziOqk00HFOlu3b-_ggZLXoLHQ4ttrGVG

For those of you with a grill, how do you stow it?  What grills fit where?

I'm in a Sunesta 244.

Just measure a storage space anywhere on your boat that you want to dedicate to storing a grill and buy the one that fits that space. There are many places on a boat you can store stuff and many models of grills that can fit some space on your boat. In my experience, a boxy form factor packs more efficiently than a round one.

4 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

For those of you with a grill, how do you stow it?  What grills fit where?

I'm in a Sunesta 244.

For what it’s worth, I’m able to store my Magma Chef’s Mate (rectangular) grill in the hold under a bow seat. I keep it in one of the Magma carrying bags, stout so nothing gets dirty or greasy in there. 264, so volume should be similar, if not same, in that hold.

Mine goes in a carry bag as well and is either stored under the aft sofa in the cockpit or down below under the v birth.