Denny

What engineers do in their spare time

8 posts in this topic

Works great ... It took a lot of trial and error effort, but why? Just because ... :D

45 minutes ago, Richard W said:

Works great ... It took a lot of trial and error effort, but why? Just because ... :D

Most extreme projects are done because they fall within someones (wheel house, or ability).

Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane, or climb a ice and snow covered mountain.

Just because ... :D

What ever floats your boat.

My neighbor was an aerospace engineer with GE, and his sign-off was required on the engines on all such equipped A-10 Warthogs ever built. That's his claim to fame and now that he has retired and serves as treasurer of our HOA, I struggle reading his postings without a dictionary close at hand. He now builds some of the most beautiful furniture I've ever seen, and spends his days furnishing the homes of his children. I'm talking investment grade artwork here. Funny thing is, before he retired he could not drive a nail straight. A man has to know his limitations, but for some there seem to be few. Denny for President...   W

Very creative ... I watched it again just to snoop on all the physics used in that demo.

15 hours ago, Wingnut said:

My neighbor was an aerospace engineer with GE, and his sign-off was required on the engines on all such equipped A-10 Warthogs ever built. That's his claim to fame and now that he has retired and serves as treasurer of our HOA, I struggle reading his postings without a dictionary close at hand. He now builds some of the most beautiful furniture I've ever seen, and spends his days furnishing the homes of his children. I'm talking investment grade artwork here. Funny thing is, before he retired he could not drive a nail straight. A man has to know his limitations, but for some there seem to be few. Denny for President...   W

We all have our claim to fame. Mine is, I have spent my whole life fixing broken things, and breaking things and fixing them.

Another scenario, take the internet. You name it and you can find it. It is a tool without any boundaries on knowledge, and how to build and repair things. (as we know with your help I ventured into the unknown and successfully completed my task).

So here comes a guy that is a master of the computer world, superior in every way. He gets bored and desides to write a virus, why, just because.

The same guy may also be the one that wrote the the antivirus program and sells it to you for 39.95

Denny.

10 hours ago, Denny said:

We all have our claim to fame. Mine is, I have spent my whole life fixing broken things, and breaking things and fixing them.

Another scenario, take the internet. You name it and you can find it. It is a tool without any boundaries on knowledge, and how to build and repair things. (as we know with your help I ventured into the unknown and successfully completed my task).

So here comes a guy that is a master of the computer world, superior in every way. He gets bored and desides to write a virus, why, just because.

The same guy may also be the one that wrote the the antivirus program and sells it to you for 39.95

Denny.

We all have become so dependent on the vast information that surrounds us each and every day. Sometimes I sit back and wonder who sits atop it all, pulling our strings, and if there is an underlying agenda beyond selling us something that we neither want nor need. As much miss-information on the net as there is properly vetted accuracy. Snoopes helps, but in the end one must ask who is doing the snooping. It started with the simple calculator, and now most of this generation can't do simple math without it, nor do they have too. No need for language skills either as we all have spell check, and WORD. You wish to conquer the world and send us all back to the stone age? Kidnap all the software engineers. The Germans tried it with the Physicist in WWII, and almost pulled it off. Now it's not nuclear technology, but micro-chip manipulation. Bold new world. Even on the forum we can read I heard it works like this, or I think it works like that, with an actual OEM manual a few clicks away. Maybe reading skills have disappeared also. I worry about what the future holds for my daughter, but I guess our parents had the same thoughts relative to our generation.  W